Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Well Android phones are about to get more expensive, or crippled, in Europe. Well done.
    Its actually a good thing. People need to realize this shit ain't actually free.
    Well you say good thing...

I notice Apple hasn't been fined yet for bundling Safari in to iOS and basically not allowing any competition at all. (The same thing Google and Microsoft have both been fined for)
    Google has an effective monopoly while apple does not.
    Apple is still the biggest phone manufacturer around and tightly controls the environment. If your application competes with one of apples in any way its removed from the app store. Apple also blocks 3rd parties from working with their devices unless they say it's OK (see smartwatches). The new Apple (ie, OSX and above) is and always has been far more anti competitive than any other company, but they seem to always get a free ride.
    Apple is by shipped units third largest manufacturer.
    Oh only 3rd.. Wow they have slipped.. OK then sure they can fuck over consumers then that's perfectly fine. Just as long as they dont grow to one of the largest companies in the world and abuse that position to lock everyone out of their platform.
    Yes thats actually how it works. When you don't have a monopoly you can be a dickwad (to an extent). Rules change when you have a monopoly. Idk whats so hard to grasp about that.
    AFAIK this isn't actually about Google being an effective monopolist, it's because Google allows other companies to make the phones, and that it dictates policies to those other companies. It's very comparable to the MS pushing IE on pre-installed PCs situation, where the EU stepped in as well and forced MS to allow some browser choice, which was a good thing at the time, even though MS has been watering it down quite a bit in recent years.

Wat really irks me is that Apple is not in this situation because they don't allow anyone on their platform except themselves. Google is more "open" by allowing other manufacturers in their ecosystem, but gets punished for setting some ground rules to be allowed in. If they were the only ones making Android phones this problem wouldn't exist. So the EU is punishing them for having created a more open phone OS...

I'm not afraid for more expensive or crippled phones in EU. It'll create more consumer confusion, but under the new rules manufacturers are now allowed to make deals for other browsers as default etc. Not sure that that'll actually help consumers, but at least it isn't an outright consumer loss.

TL;DR shit is confusing and very much not black and white, no one really knows how this'll work out. And fuck Apple for being "rewarded" for being the close-minded schmucks they are.
    It'll also have zero fucking impact on smartphone prices since Google announced those theoretical licensing fees for play store /Google services will also be heavily discounted if a manufacturer also ships their device with chrome and Google search.
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    All the notch autists out there should check out the upcoming Mi Mix 3.
    Sliders are back on the menu boys!
    Would prefer a slider than a notch myself, but I suspect this slider fad will be short lived and go the same way as the flip phone fad (which died because the failure rate was much higher than non-flip phones).

Personally (and I know im in the minority) I dont need a front facing camera at all. A decent rear facing camera is nice but I rarely use my phone for photos (probably enough to miss it if it wasnt there though), but I turned off face unlock and went back to the finger print reader despite the one-plus having one of the fastest face unlocks around. Its just a pain having to move the phone in a way that its looking at my face every time. MUCH easier to just move my finger over the reader on the back.

Everything else needed on the front of the phone can be moved behind the LCD (obviously with some *science* ) and I know some manufacturers are working on that. Until then I'm fine with a border around my screen (yes, borderless does look pretty awesome).
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

And since this is backwards compatible to older pixel devices it's all software so will be ported to other devices.

iPhone 6S Plus near the end of its life, any suggestions on replacement?

At the moment I'm super tempted to give Apple the middle finger and get a Note 9 with all the hassle implied to transfer over all my stuffs. Trouble is the 8GB RAM version is only 512GB storage and costs close to the iPhone XS so...

Help me FHC, you're my only hope ^^

Edit: checked out the OnePlus 6T, it's amazing except no card slot Price is great as well.
    Last edited by Cosmin; October 29 2018 at 07:19:59 PM.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    iPhone 6S Plus near the end of its life, any suggestions on replacement?

At the moment I'm super tempted to give Apple the middle finger and get a Note 9 with all the hassle implied to transfer over all my stuffs. Trouble is the 8GB RAM version is only 512GB storage and costs close to the iPhone XS so...

Help me FHC, you're my only hope ^^

Edit: checked out the OnePlus 6T, it's amazing except no card slot Price is great as well.
    What are your requirements?

Basically I need a phone to last me a few years. The 6S Plus accrued an impressive mileage whilst still being fast and smooth and getting security updates regularly. OS updates are the biggest thing that are stopping me from going full retard for the Note 9. Hardware specs are not important per-se, if you look at the 6S Plus specs they're completely unimpressive after all these years yet the phone is still working flawlessly-ish (battery dying, got it replaced today, working well again), but storage is important. So regardless of what I'm getting, I'm looking at 512GB storage. Much RAM is not necessary, but I like having it if it's an Android device.

Requirements per-se: needs to do online banking stuff securely (so regular OS updates are a must), need a decent quick unlock option (finger print reader, face unlock, I don't really care as long as it's seamless), biggish screen but able to fit in trousers. If it's Android needs to have uSD slot as well. Budget is not really an issue.

The current Jesus Android phones are the Pixel 3, Oneplus 6t and the Mate 20 Pro - That's about it really unless you can wait till the Galaxy s10 or you want to go iphone xS or something.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Personally I'd like Google to recognize my location as a real place RE: Google Play/Music streaming, currently we get serviced as though we were in Antarctica or the eye of fucking terror.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    The current Jesus Android phones are the Pixel 3, Oneplus 6t and the Mate 20 Pro - That's about it really unless you can wait till the Galaxy s10 or you want to go iphone xS or something.
    Yep, checked on the Oneplus 6T and feels amazing, the Pixel 3 has the vanilla Android thing going for it and I honestly don't know about the Mate 20 Pro. The only issue I have with Oneplus has priors to being dodgy with security and whilst the Pixel 3 is bound to be fantastic with updates (previously owned a Nexus 4, Google devices are godlike with getting proper support, unlike some Samsung and HTC ones) I'm just not sold on the pricing and specs - max 4GB RAM and 128GB storage is just not going to cut it, getting vibes since I got the Nexus 4 with 16GB storage out of which only 12 were actually usable, seriously it's 2018 and there's still no uSD storage for these devices. Pricing them at 900-1000EUR is just insane, as I was saying about the Note 9 at least it comes with much beefier specs at a similar price point.

The rabble about specs is that whilst for Apple devices they don't really matter, Android has a way with making older devices obsolete-ish if they have weaker specs. I'm staring at a Note 10.1 from 2012 that stutters out of the box with its default Android stuff on it.

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Personally I'd like Google to recognize my location as a real place RE: Google Play/Music streaming, currently we get serviced as though we were in Antarctica or the eye of fucking terror.
    IOM?

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    s8 arrived, it's very pretty

Pulled trigger on XS Max. Snapseed locks up randomly.

I'm giving it less than 2 weeks to move properly else it's going back with contract and shit and idgaf. WTF Apple/Google.

My Q8 (small lg v20) finally got android 8 update. Christ. What is this life.

Otherwise shit is pgreat.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    and the only thing not working is whatsapp grr

go to verify phone number > 'whatsapp is temporarily unavailable, please try again in 5 minutes' FOR THE PAST 6 HOURS

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Eye of terror gets YouTube red on the cheap to compete with Apple's free offerings.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Tempted to get one for the misses to replace her fading iphone 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    Tempted to get one for the misses to replace her fading iphone 6.
    Going to wait a few months to see whatever issues crop up with the 6T.

I've had a OnePlus X for a while. Battery is starting to die though. Hopefully it keeps soldiering on.

Ordered a 3/32Gb Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 to replace the awful Firehd 7 (2014) couch tablet

https://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/...ml?wid=1349303

150€ on Gearbest and 10$ off when using google pay
    dat value

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Pulled trigger on XS Max. Snapseed locks up randomly.

I'm giving it less than 2 weeks to move properly else it's going back with contract and shit and idgaf. WTF Apple/Google.
    So I've identified the problem.

The problem is both with Apple and with Google. Apple for using that crappy HVEC format that Snapseed can't really handle properly. I've edited some TIFFs shot with 645Pro for iPhone and some RAW files shot with HTC 10, no issues whatsoever. Snapseed last updated 4 months ago. RIP.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    >5 hours of charging
    >Phone just about on 42%
    >courier won't ship lithium batteries to this shithole of an island

My options are to either a) order through a retailer for 40 (7 battery btw haha) or b) take a ferry to the mainland and buy one in a store

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee