hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 38 of 112 FirstFirst ... 28353637383940414888 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 760 of 2226

Thread: XCOM: Enemy Within - MEC4Lyfe

  1. #741
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    15,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Bob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    When I'm talking about ITZ being epic I'm not talking about puny 2 or 3 kills, im talking about that one sniper taking out 4 or 5 guys. Full spawn of Chrysalids and couple of Mutons all killed by one guy in one move, yes please.
    I was talking about the break even point of the two skills. I can see the fun in the skill, just not any reliable usefulness.


    You'll remember it when half a dozen mutons rush you.

  2. #742
    Swiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 3, 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    942
    Is there a mod that only removes friendly fire when soldiers are panicked?

    I know the Warspace Extension one does, but I'd prefer to keep vanilla balance but with that one thing changed. It's seriously pissing up my Classic playthrough, why would soldiers ever do that? I could see it maybe happening at extreme ranges or a chance of taking a reaction shot on a friendly, but like this it's pretty bullshit.

  3. #743
    Serious Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 19, 2011
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Bob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    When I'm talking about ITZ being epic I'm not talking about puny 2 or 3 kills, im talking about that one sniper taking out 4 or 5 guys. Full spawn of Chrysalids and couple of Mutons all killed by one guy in one move, yes please.
    I was talking about the break even point of the two skills. I can see the fun in the skill, just not any reliable usefulness.


    You'll remember it when half a dozen mutons rush you.
    They would eat 2 rockets to the face. I have never seen 6 mutons uncovered unless I blew up their cover. And ITZ vs 6 covered muton is p. shit and not useful at all.

    I'm not denying it can have some uses, I just find all those uses gimmicky. ITZ is really good at killing flanked or units without cover. But they are always easy to kill.
    Last edited by Serious Bob; October 19 2012 at 12:07:41 AM.

  4. #744
    Ophichius's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15, 2011
    Location
    Hedonistic Imperative
    Posts
    5,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
    Is there a mod that only removes friendly fire when soldiers are panicked?

    I know the Warspace Extension one does, but I'd prefer to keep vanilla balance but with that one thing changed. It's seriously pissing up my Classic playthrough, why would soldiers ever do that? I could see it maybe happening at extreme ranges or a chance of taking a reaction shot on a friendly, but like this it's pretty bullshit.
    It's an attempt to re-create an occasional event from the original game, when soldiers would panic and fire randomly in all directions, sometimes striking your own team. Unfortunately someone at Firaxis forgot that the only reason that worked in X-COM was because they actually simulated each round's flight path and checked for intersection with world objects, not some bullshit consolefied 'shoot only at your own team' diceware mechanic.

    -O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

  5. #745
    Izo Azlion's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    2,965

    Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown by Firaxis

    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Bob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Bob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    When I'm talking about ITZ being epic I'm not talking about puny 2 or 3 kills, im talking about that one sniper taking out 4 or 5 guys. Full spawn of Chrysalids and couple of Mutons all killed by one guy in one move, yes please.
    I was talking about the break even point of the two skills. I can see the fun in the skill, just not any reliable usefulness.


    You'll remember it when half a dozen mutons rush you.
    They would eat 2 rockets to the face. I have never seen 6 mutons uncovered unless I blew up their cover. And ITZ vs 6 covered muton is p. shit and not useful at all.

    I'm not denying it can have some uses, I just find all those uses gimmicky. ITZ is really good at killing flanked or units without cover. But they are always easy to kill.
    What you're forgetting is all flying units are uncovered, too. So its basically almost 100 percent chance to solo any flying group, of which there are quite a few. Its saved my ass more times than a rocket but ymmv

  6. #746
    Swiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 3, 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    942
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophichius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
    Is there a mod that only removes friendly fire when soldiers are panicked?

    I know the Warspace Extension one does, but I'd prefer to keep vanilla balance but with that one thing changed. It's seriously pissing up my Classic playthrough, why would soldiers ever do that? I could see it maybe happening at extreme ranges or a chance of taking a reaction shot on a friendly, but like this it's pretty bullshit.
    It's an attempt to re-create an occasional event from the original game, when soldiers would panic and fire randomly in all directions, sometimes striking your own team. Unfortunately someone at Firaxis forgot that the only reason that worked in X-COM was because they actually simulated each round's flight path and checked for intersection with world objects, not some bullshit consolefied 'shoot only at your own team' diceware mechanic.

    -O
    Yeah, a mod that gives me FUCKING FREE FIRE would work just as well. Sadly its probably hardcoded as to make virtually impossible.

  7. #747
    Donor Tellenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    10,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophichius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
    Is there a mod that only removes friendly fire when soldiers are panicked?

    I know the Warspace Extension one does, but I'd prefer to keep vanilla balance but with that one thing changed. It's seriously pissing up my Classic playthrough, why would soldiers ever do that? I could see it maybe happening at extreme ranges or a chance of taking a reaction shot on a friendly, but like this it's pretty bullshit.
    It's an attempt to re-create an occasional event from the original game, when soldiers would panic and fire randomly in all directions, sometimes striking your own team. Unfortunately someone at Firaxis forgot that the only reason that worked in X-COM was because they actually simulated each round's flight path and checked for intersection with world objects, not some bullshit consolefied 'shoot only at your own team' diceware mechanic.

    -O
    In the old game you could accidentally hit your guys and civilians if they missed a shot, so in that regard this mechanic isn't that big a deal.

  8. #748
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    15,384
    Actually it's a huge deal tbqmfh. TBSs had physics emulation since forever.
    What we got here is two steps backards for the sake of simplicity so xbox kiddies wouldn't spaz out.

  9. #749
    Serious Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 19, 2011
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by Izo Azlion View Post

    What you're forgetting is all flying units are uncovered, too. So its basically almost 100 percent chance to solo any flying group, of which there are quite a few. Its saved my ass more times than a rocket but ymmv
    Floaters always take cover in my games. And heavy floaters don't die unless you crit (granted p. high chance if they're uncovered.) Anyways I'm gonna shut up about this now.

  10. #750
    Donor Miep's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 15, 2011
    Posts
    2,058
    Dp normaly is better, but then if there are only 2-3 aliens uncovered your not in the shit anyway.

    But ITZ will save your ass in those tricky situations where you face lots of enemys.
    Rocket and afterwards just collect your skulls in the zone.
    Ceterum censeo Moscoviam esse delendam.

    retarded [r??t??d?d]
    adj; underdeveloped, esp mentally and esp having an IQ of 70 to 85 See also ESN, mental handicap, subnormal

  11. #751
    fuck entrox Donor Jason Marshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Civilization
    Posts
    7,912
    Game gave my primary support soldier the nick name "Freud". All I see now is Him running around the battlefield psychoanalyzing my other soldiers, telling them that they missed those shots cause they were thinking about fucking their mothers and what not.

    "Sometimes someone just needs to be the OP" -Tellenta Philosopher of our People.

  12. #752
    Ophichius's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15, 2011
    Location
    Hedonistic Imperative
    Posts
    5,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marshall View Post
    Game gave my primary support soldier the nick name "Freud". All I see now is Him running around the battlefield psychoanalyzing my other soldiers, telling them that they missed those shots cause they were thinking about fucking their mothers and what not.
    I personally prefer to think his battle cry every time he steps off the transport is "FUCK YOUR MOTHER, YOU ALIEN WHORES!"

    -O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

  13. #753

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophichius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marshall View Post
    Game gave my primary support soldier the nick name "Freud". All I see now is Him running around the battlefield psychoanalyzing my other soldiers, telling them that they missed those shots cause they were thinking about fucking their mothers and what not.
    I personally prefer to think his battle cry every time he steps off the transport is "FUCK YOUR MOTHER, YOU ALIEN WHORES!"

    -O
    Old, but relevant: The New Adventures of Sigmund Freud (slightly NSFW)

    wrt the actual game: any actual experiences with Warspace Extension mod? I'm tempted to start a new game with that once I finish my current one.

    Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

  14. #754
    Cydo's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    823
    Are the nicknames totally random?

    My heavy got the nickname "Tectonic", figured it was because he makes things go boom.

  15. #755
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Cydo View Post
    Are the nicknames totally random?

    My heavy got the nickname "Tectonic", figured it was because he makes things go boom.
    King and Tectonic was the nicks on my 2 Heavies.

  16. #756
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    15,384
    You know you can customize everything except country and sex, right?


  17. #757
    Shaikar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Domain
    Posts
    905
    Yep, pretty sure they're randomised.

    Restarted my classic ironman game last night after it all went a bit pearshaped on the panic front. More focus on satellites and workshops needed this time around!
    Ufortunately the third mission I got (after the starter+first abductions) was a VIP escort mission, it's not going well, thin men coming out of the goddamned walls...

  18. #758
    fuck entrox Donor Jason Marshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Civilization
    Posts
    7,912
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    You know you can customize everything except country and sex, right?

    [IMG]http://onebit.us/x/i/qCHIRIuJTi.jpg [IMG]
    Yes, I wasn't complaining about the nickname.

    "Sometimes someone just needs to be the OP" -Tellenta Philosopher of our People.

  19. #759
    metacannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Actually an '06.
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    You know you can customize everything except country and sex, right? [/IMG]
    Always one of the first buys on my JA teams. And shes UK!

  20. #760
    Venec's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Europe's Mexico - Poland
    Posts
    2,628
    Quote Originally Posted by metacannibal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    You know you can customize everything except country and sex, right? [/IMG]
    Always one of the first buys on my JA teams. And shes UK!
    THIS IS STEROID GONTARSKY SPEAKING.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •