hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 152223242526272835 ... LastLast

Thread: Prometheus (quasi-prequel to Alien)

Quote Originally Posted by IceBlock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Takon Orlani View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Apparently Prometheus has a lot more debt then we assumed.

Massive spoiler on the link below. But a must read for those that have seen the movie.
    http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html
    What a load of bullshit! This guy must be on LSD.
    What's wrong, too DEEP?
    No, it is just bullshit. It does not make any sense. To cut it short, he basicly says space jockey is jesus christ, and that made aliens out of black shit. He gets to this conclusion with a lot of assumptation. But, xenomorph existed long before then. Ever seen AvP, the start of the movie shows the mayan pyramid and shit.
    Ridley Scott doesn't consider AvP to be canon and nor should he because it was a shit movie, OTOH we know that xenomorphs existed before the events of Prometheus because of the GIANT STATUE OF A XENOMORPH in the Engineer ship.

Confused jumble the film might have been but the "what I choose to believe" thing was fairly central to the movie and it doesn't really make sense unless you read into it to the level that the article does. It's really just wild guesswork though, Scott doesn't seem to want to confirm or deny from what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post

Massive spoiler on the link below. But a must read for those that have seen the movie.
    What's wrong, too DEEP?
    No, it is just bullshit. It does not make any sense. To cut it short, he basicly says space jockey is jesus christ, and that made aliens out of black shit. He gets to this conclusion with a lot of assumptation. But, xenomorph existed long before then. Ever seen AvP, the start of the movie shows the mayan pyramid and shit.
    The Mayans temples were built around 300-800AD, just saying
    Not to mention it was an entirely different director, lol. Not sure how the 2 movies are related, at all. I think the plot is left with room for viewers to fill in based on their own preconceptions. Not sure why this guys is invalid tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

What's wrong, too DEEP?
    Ridley Scott doesn't consider AvP to be canon and nor should he because it was a shit movie, OTOH we know that xenomorphs existed before the events of Prometheus because of the GIANT STATUE OF A XENOMORPH in the Engineer ship.

Confused jumble the film might have been but the "what I choose to believe" thing was fairly central to the movie and it doesn't really make sense unless you read into it to the level that the article does. It's really just wild guesswork though, Scott doesn't seem to want to confirm or deny from what I've seen.
    The giant xenomorph mural doesn't really mean much. That they knew how to create them or knew of their existence is a moot point from the interview. We've had nuclear capabilities for a long time but we haven't nuked anyone in a long time. The existence of xenomorphs or it's original state could have pre-dated our seeding. Additionally assuming you tried to pair AvP with Prometheus, it wouldn't be a stretch that the Predators had intercepted and cultivated their own versions as hunting playthings. For all we know that might have been why the Engineers were contemplated the destruction in the first place. Lots of possibilities in the interpretations of all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Keorythe View Post

What's wrong, too DEEP?

The giant xenomorph mural doesn't really mean much. That they knew how to create them or knew of their existence is a moot point from the interview. We've had nuclear capabilities for a long time but we haven't nuked anyone in a long time. The existence of xenomorphs or it's original state could have pre-dated our seeding. Additionally assuming you tried to pair AvP with Prometheus, it wouldn't be a stretch that the Predators had intercepted and cultivated their own versions as hunting playthings. For all we know that might have been why the Engineers were contemplated the destruction in the first place. Lots of possibilities in the interpretations of all of this.
    Yeah that's all quite true. I'm just happy to work the Predators in from any angle I can in the vain hope that they're considered canon in the Alien universe, they're just too freaking cool. Unfortunately that either means acknowledging the AvP movies or considering them fanciful breaks from reality or alternate universe stuff. And from there you're into the realm of comic book continuity which is so insanely complex that it's not worth thinking about.

I suspect there's a lot more coming from this franchise depending on the financial success of Prometheus (how is it doing in the box office anyway?) and it's gonna be really cool to see what the next movie has for us.

The first large Mayan pyramids was made between 600 and 400 B.C. Aztec pyramids was made later on, AD style.

The first large Mayan pyramids was made between 600 and 400 B.C. Aztec pyramids was made later on, AD style.
    source?

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    source?
    Google?
    http://library.thinkquest.org/J0112511/architecture.htm
    http://www.ehow.com/about_6550175_ma...ids-tikal.html
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...emala-ancient/
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...UHS7En0A&pli=1

It's funny how mad people are getting over this movie.

Reality check time for people ITT, its a science fiction movie.
    Don't take what a Director is trying to imply and or tell in a movie to be the factual truth as its fiction.
    If you were a superhero you'd be The Incredible Fucktard with your ever-ready sidekick Douchetard Boy. Together, you fight intelligence and common sense where you go.

I suspect there's a lot more coming from this franchise depending on the financial success of Prometheus (how is it doing in the box office anyway?) and it's gonna be really cool to see what the next movie has for us.
    $150 million worldwide so far it seems

I can't find a solid figure but it seems the number being mentioned for production costs on Prometheus was about $120-$150 mill, and typically distribution (advertising, promotion, etc) can be a similar figure for a big blockbuster, so in the region of $250 $300 million all told probably.

The studio obviously has a figure in mind before green lighting another movie... as to what that is, who knows?

For me the movie was enjoyable and left me with a few questions, something I don't mind personally, whether the chap responsible for the essay is reading too much into things, we'll never know but it is refreshing to see a big film not leading you by the hand and resolving everyone issue raised during the story.

Saw it in 3d and tbh I don't think it added a huge amount to the experience but as Filingo mentioned, it was shot in stereo and not converted and I think Ridley pulled it off.
    Last edited by Calks; June 12 2012 at 08:34:25 PM.

Some of the stuff in that essay is pretty clearly correct (the ruptured abdomen being a deliberately repeated motif, for example), and some is over-reaching and/or typical literary wankery where you can stretch the 'symbols' to mean whatever you want them to (e.g. the meaning of the ruptured abdomen motif). He even admits his 'explanation' doesn't make literal sense, only 'symbolic sense'. At least to me, a symbolic story of the type he describes is something that ought to be layered on top of a story that makes sense without recognising the symbolism/allusions, not something that can replace it.

Somebody who "gets" the film mind filling me in on a few of the things that continue to bug me?

Spoiler:
    Why does the Scottish guy start as a hard arse security merc who doesn't like the biologist then change to a scared of the dark Geologist who runs off all chummy with said biologist?

Why does Charlize Theron seem surprised to see Weyland on the ship when she knows David is talking to him (unless there's a better interpretation of their confrontation when David is wearing his visor thing?

Why does everyone seem to forget that Elizabeth has just knocked out two scientists, performed a cesarean, run out of a room with her stomach stapled shut & leaving an alien squid thing in the escape pod for 20 minutes after the scene?

Why does the biologist randomly turn up as Nemesis from Resident evil (other than to kill off the strenuous ship crew)?

Why, given the site seems to be isolated, are there "hundreds" of other alien ships littering the moon, apparently in a similar state of stasis?

Why does David appear to pull what looks kind of like a face hugger, or at least something alienlike, out of the canister, but otherwise they just ooze goo?

Why does David infect the archaeologist with the black stuff? If the answer is because he knew doing so would lead to Elizabeth getting pregnant with the squid baby, then why is he interested in making an alien baby?

Why does the alien head they find explode in a way not dissimilar to how the aliens body at the beginning disintegrates?

What happened to the aliens that fled into the chamber full of pots of goo?

I've ignored the things that bugged me but can be put down to standard sci-fi cliches (no guns on the science exhibition; taking their helmets off; David wanting to kill his creator; captain & flight crew blowing themselves up for greater good etc etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Lancehot View Post
    Somebody who "gets" the film mind filling me in on a few of the things that continue to bug me?
      Spoiler:

Why does Charlize Theron seem surprised to see Weyland on the ship when she knows David is talking to him (unless there's a better interpretation of their confrontation when David is wearing his visor thing?
    i dont remember her being surprised

Why does the biologist randomly turn up as Nemesis from Resident evil (other than to kill off the strenuous ship crew)?
    btw it was the geologist, he faceplanted into the black goo. but i think you just answered it

Why, given the site seems to be isolated, are there "hundreds" of other alien ships littering the moon, apparently in a similar state of stasis?
    because it was bioweapon storage/research planet for the engineers

Why does David appear to pull what looks kind of like a face hugger, or at least something alienlike, out of the canister, but otherwise they just ooze goo?
    looked like several connected glass-like mini containers with the goo in them. not a facehugger at all

Why does David infect the archaeologist with the black stuff? If the answer is because he knew doing so would lead to Elizabeth getting pregnant with the squid baby, then why is he interested in making an alien baby?
    i dont think he knew what was gonna happen. i think his orders were to go around pushing buttons and making stuff happen until he got what Weyland wanted (meeting a live engineer i guess?)

Why does the alien head they find explode in a way not dissimilar to how the aliens body at the beginning disintegrates?
    because presumably it was also infected with black goo as in the beginning sequence

EDIT: Why does the Scottish guy start as a hard arse security merc who doesn't like the biologist then change to a scared of the dark Geologist who runs off all chummy with said biologist?
    because despite initial macho he turns out to be a pussy after all.

Last edited by Gesadt; June 13 2012 at 09:24:10 AM.

Some speculative answers.
    I did realy like the movie. But then I didn't realy have any speciffic expectations when I went to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancehot View Post

Spoiler:
    Why does the Scottish guy start as a hard arse security merc who doesn't like the biologist then change to a scared of the dark Geologist who runs off all chummy with said biologist?

-No idea. bloody weird thatone.

-what, did she?

Why does everyone seem to forget that Elizabeth has just knocked out two scientists, performed a cesarean, run out of a room with her stomach stapled shut & leaving an alien squid thing in the escape pod for 20 minutes after the scene?

- They were all important people who were way too ocupied with Wayland at the time.
    No idéa where they'd all been hiding the entire time tho.
    No idea. odd stuff that doesn't add up.

- He'd been infected by the black goo. Considder what happened to the tiny worms in the pot-chamber when they were exposed to the black goo. They turned into angry big worms who eat faces.

- armoury?

- No he pulled out a bunch of glass containers from it. They contained some nasty shit that he didn't know what it was or what it would do, hence the experiment you ask about below. As a synthetic person he has no feelings and no moral, so he does an experiment to see what happens. He even manages to get the drunk guy to consent in a way. "What would you do? "I would do anything!"

- I suppose he had been infected aswell. Wich was probably why he was running in the hologram?

What happened to the aliens that fled into the chamber full of pots of goo?

I've ignored the things that bugged me but can be put down to standard sci-fi cliches (no guns on the science exhibition; taking their helmets off; David wanting to kill his creator; captain & flight crew blowing themselves up for greater good etc etc)

Lancehot, did you actually watch the movie?

My old man is going to see it tonight at imax.
    Will report his thoughts if anyone cares.

Your posting is medium, its not rare and its not well done
    - Krans 26/7/12

Spoiler:
    Is it just me, or are movie producers directors willingly being thick on alien exposure protocols? Taking off the helmets, letting the alien head outside of a contained space, there's dozens of examples but a real scientific team does none of that because exposure to anything alien could be potentially fatal. /rant off

Also

Spoiler:
    Did the guy who did the monster design for pans labyrinth and hellboy work on this movie? A lot of the aliens involved, especially that fucking beast of a facehugger at the end, seemed to have his fingerprints on it. By the way.. any real reason that thing actually grows that big? There's no food in there presumably, yet it goes from the size of a thigh muscle give or take to this room encompassing tentacle monster of japanese proportions. This also brings in to question.. was there any reason for jettisoning the life pod before prometheus collides with the alien ship besides for finding a way to close the story? Nop. /rant off
    Last edited by Rudolf Miller; June 13 2012 at 01:15:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudolf Miller View Post
      Spoiler:
    Is it just me, or are movie producers directors willingly being thick on alien exposure protocols? Taking off the helmets, letting the alien head outside of a contained space, there's dozens of examples but a real scientific team does none of that because exposure to anything alien could be potentially fatal. /rant off

or maybe its because its sci-fi action movie and not a documentary. not to mention its same disregard for "protocol" as in Alien.

Spoiler:
    There's no food in there presumably, yet it goes from the size of a thigh muscle give or take to this room encompassing tentacle monster of japanese proportions.

xenomporh in Alien also grows up presumably without food

This also brings in to question.. was there any reason for jettisoning the life pod before prometheus collides with the alien ship besides for finding a way to close the story? Nop. /rant off

because the captain lets Vickers choose if she wants to die right now or later on the planet when supplies run out. she chose the latter, hence life pod.

Given that this is a sci-fi movie, many of you seem purposefully unwilling to suspend your disbelief. I wonder if this is part of society and the culture of instant gratification? If your summertime sci-fi blockbuster isn't fully developed handing you every possible morsel of information you simply can't cope

Spoiler:
    This also brings in to question.. was there any reason for jettisoning the life pod before prometheus collides with the alien ship besides for finding a way to close the story? Nop. /rant off

Spoiler:
    Really? I mean, wtf. How about, because if they'd waited to jettison AFTER colliding with the alien ship it um..would have already been destroyed?

Some if this really isn't that complicated.

I enjoyed it, all made sense to me. My brother left the theater going "whaaaatt?" repeatedly, as he does when he doesn't understand/like something. He wouldn't elaborate on what or why, though.