hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 185 of 186 FirstFirst ... 85135175182183184185186 LastLast
Results 3,681 to 3,700 of 3702

Thread: The Serious Mental Health Thread

I get that living with mental health issues or having a major psychiatric disorder can be fucking hard, and at times daunting (source: I'm bipolar). But a lot of people with these issues and disorders need to take some responsibility and try to get some help. Maybe particularly people living with bipolar. You're not constantly in an episode, so not all of your problems are caused by the disorder, nor are they incurable. And having a disorder doesn't absolve you or give you the right to act like an asshole. Sure, when manic you do a lot of fucking stupid things and bridges are burned. It might not be your fault, but it's still your responsibility. If you're bipolar and do speed, you can't exactly complain that mania ruined all your relationships and your economy is a mess. No shit Sherlock. Get help, start dealing with the fact that you have a serious disorder and act accordingly. /rant. (Edit: Yes, looking back on some of my own posts I know that I've done much of the above...)
    Last edited by morpheps; October 3 2019 at 12:34:40 PM.

Hi.

Long time no see.
    [marquee][/marquee]

Quote Originally Posted by LobbyZ View Post
    Hi.

Long time no see.
    Sup?
    Still alive so thats a good thing <3
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    I get that living with mental health issues or having a major psychiatric disorder can be fucking hard, and at times daunting (source: I'm bipolar). But a lot of people with these issues and disorders need to take some responsibility and try to get some help. Maybe particularly people living with bipolar. You're not constantly in an episode, so not all of your problems are caused by the disorder, nor are they incurable. And having a disorder doesn't absolve you or give you the right to act like an asshole. Sure, when manic you do a lot of fucking stupid things and bridges are burned. It might not be your fault, but it's still your responsibility. If you're bipolar and do speed, you can't exactly complain that mania ruined all your relationships and your economy is a mess. No shit Sherlock. Get help, start dealing with the fact that you have a serious disorder and act accordingly. /rant. (Edit: Yes, looking back on some of my own posts I know that I've done much of the above...)
    I actually give recovery courses to psych patients and while you are completely right this isnt a thing for what >90% manage to do until (semi-)stable. Most need a bit of training or re-conditioning (frowned upon word but thats what it is).
    I am Bipolar and did insane shit at my low points. Meds and therapy got me stable enough to actually be able to take a step back and reflect.
    Just to be able to take a time out when i was in a hyper fase and locking the door instead of going out was a huge step for me in not making any more 'broken vases'.

Altho i believe less pills are better for me they were what actually helped me long enough to get my shit together. Nowadays i find a mania easier to deal with than a depression.

(venting a bit aswell as reactiong to you morph)
    Schopenhauer:

First, it is ridiculed.

Bipolar lady keeps reaching out and then kicking me away, I know she is not doing to well at the moment but this is driving me off the edge very quickly. I have tried blocking her on everything but unforutnatly we work in the same place so it is impossible to avoid her 2 days a week.

Really not sure where I stand as one minute I am the evil bastard from hell the next she wants to talk to me as normal although it appears doesnt want to get back with me not 100% sure on that thugh as the signs are mixed. Is this a sign of her being in a biploar episode and how do I get her the help she needs when I am being locked out ? I have her daughetrs number but thats a last resort to contact her.

TBH im in a real mess at the moment and reaching for some help or guidance on what to do here from those that have experience of this illness

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    Hi.

Long time no see.
    Sup?
    Of course, i'd tell you if I wasn't alive. I'm doing good, moved and got a new cat and generally feel much better now mentally. Still steps to take but its good. How's you?
    [marquee][/marquee]

good to hear m8 :brofist:
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Hi.

Long time no see.
    Sup?
    Of course, i'd tell you if I wasn't alive. I'm doing good, moved and got a new cat and generally feel much better now mentally. Still steps to take but its good. How's you?
    Good, stable, just once a year psych evaluation and one psychiatrist medicine update talk (insurance required). Finished my psych degree in july (needed to further my career). Gf who is pretty chil.
    I want a cat, keep postponing that.
    Schopenhauer:

First, it is ridiculed.

Hi.

Long time no see.
    Sup?
    Good, stable, just once a year psych evaluation and one psychiatrist medicine update talk (insurance required). Finished my psych degree in july (needed to further my career). Gf who is pretty chil.
    I want a cat, keep postponing that.
    That's good man. I both hate and adore my cat as shes a endless source of fluffy joy but also a mean asshole that never stops cuddling up to me. Sometimes annoying, sometimes aww.

Here she be

[marquee][/marquee]

Hi.

Long time no see.
    Sup?
    Holy shit dude. Welcome back.

Edit: Nooooooooope
    Last edited by Phrixus Zephyr; October 30 2019 at 10:14:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Hi.

Long time no see.
    Sup?
    Hey bud. How's it? are you on discord or something?
    [marquee][/marquee]

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Hi.

Long time no see.
    Sup?
    Hey bud. How's it? are you on discord or something?
    I am.

Necrobump. Wanted to share some progress and kind of an.. well, positive spin on living with a mental illness several psychiatric disorders..

I've been on Lithium for 1,5 years now, following my latest hospitalization. And me oh my what a drug that is. It's most likely going to fuck my kidneys at some point, but mania is curb stomped and hasn't reared it's ugly face in a long time, and depression is kept to a minimum (maybe a week of mild depression instead of 9 months of medium to crippling). Still get bouts of hypomania, but it's controllable with a dose of "necessity" anti-psychotics (not on it all the time; use heavy dose to sleep and calm the fuck down).

But I guess somewhere along the road, God felt that "weeell, he's been a bit of an asshole in his previous life, so one mental illness isn't really cutting it". I've been struggling with visual and auditory hallucinations for a long time, and the last 2-3 years things have become way worse. I've been checked out for schizofrenia (nope), schizoaffective (nope) and what have you. At some point it was filed away as "something we don't really understand and/or psychosis". Fast forward to last December, and something I said about having issues with lack of identity and amnesia triggered something in my pdoc. She felt pretty sure this could be dissociation ; and referred me to an expert. Lo and behold some months later, and I've now been diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder (DID). Been dredging through some old parts of my brain in therapy, and yay. We found a lot of shit. Turns out it's pretty amazing what the mind manages to file away as a defense mechanism.

On the plus side; for the first time in five years, I actually think that I can survive long term. So far it's been "one more year" or "until my kids are grown". Things have really fallen into their places, and while we've got a shitton of work to do in therapy, things have a name now, and while things are still pretty fubar, we're working on them. Still coming to terms with the latest diagnosis, but yeah. We've got this (hah, and really plural we this time it turns out).

This is really wholesome in tone. Keep it up!

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

I'm not having a great time at the moment. Waking up early every morning feeling exhausted and with intense anxiety, heart pounding. Throughout the day I have difficulty focusing, constant thoughts of failure and very low mood. Basic tasks at work feel impossible, working from home in a one bed flat feels like a prison. Sometimes I feel completely detached from just about everything. I realise I'm making my girlfriend miserable, since she's around me all day every day also working from home. I'm frequently getting intense feelings of anxiety during the day and find myself feeling tearful. I don't have any hope for the future I want to live, just constant despair.

Work have noticed my performance drop I'm sure. I'm in the process of trying to get a diagnosis but in the meantime I'm struggling to tell them anything more than I'm struggling with my mental health, which feels like a cop out. Absurdly I feel guilty for the impact it's had on a work project, part of me sometimes feels like what I feel is fake. I was going to start looking for new jobs anyway when coronavirus hit, now I feel like I can't even work. I have an emergency fund which will last a few months but after that I don't know how I'll get by.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I'm not having a great time at the moment. Waking up early every morning feeling exhausted and with intense anxiety, heart pounding. Throughout the day I have difficulty focusing, constant thoughts of failure and very low mood. Basic tasks at work feel impossible, working from home in a one bed flat feels like a prison. Sometimes I feel completely detached from just about everything. I realise I'm making my girlfriend miserable, since she's around me all day every day also working from home. I'm frequently getting intense feelings of anxiety during the day and find myself feeling tearful. I don't have any hope for the future I want to live, just constant despair.

Work have noticed my performance drop I'm sure. I'm in the process of trying to get a diagnosis but in the meantime I'm struggling to tell them anything more than I'm struggling with my mental health, which feels like a cop out. Absurdly I feel guilty for the impact it's had on a work project, part of me sometimes feels like what I feel is fake. I was going to start looking for new jobs anyway when coronavirus hit, now I feel like I can't even work. I have an emergency fund which will last a few months but after that I don't know how I'll get by.
    I can't say anything more than I know exactly how you feel. I am sorry you're feeling so low, but what I can tell you is that it will get better.

The world at the moment is in a p. terrible state (as if that were possible). This pandemic has managed to bring out the worst in some people - but also the best in other people. The way you feel is not fake, it's being felt even by people without any mental health issues at all - and by this I mean the intense anxiety and fear for the future.

What you need is to get out more - but this isn't really an option in overcrowded London. Staying at home will fuck with your mental health anyway, but this global situation isn't making it really safe to get out.

Alternatives are trying to hobby it up a bit more. Find something that you enjoy as a hobby and do it - even listening to music is a good pass time and can make you feel even a tiny bit better. Stop surfing the web and give up on social media - it's really gone downhill lately. Find targeted web forums for hobbyist interests - photography, tinkering, model building, wargaming, you name it, it usually exists. Try to pick up playing an instrument - this can be difficult in a 1 bedroom flat but not impossible.

I moved countries a few months ago and it has been pretty horrible and only recently did I notice what a huge impact on my mental health that did - both positive and negative. For the negative bits I'm seeing a therapist and it's helping, for the positive I'm trying to just get into a vibe and move on from there. I am lucky as hell with the woman besides me, never ever thought somebody could be this supportive and I am doing my best in trying to return this as best I can.

However you will fail, we all do. Try to take it in stride and not let it get you down. Keep on keeping, it will get better
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

cosmin/keckers, considered meditation?

lot of change going on in my life at the moment, and a lot of external drama/stress. was experiencing similar to keckers (racing heart beat / anxiety) and intrusive suicidal thoughts (I say 'intrusive thoughts' because I am in no way suicidal or at risk, just a morbid train of thought that kept popping into my head against my will).

Looked into ways to calm the fuck down at night so I could sleep, and have been giving meditation a try. 18 days now, working a fucking treat. I don't mean spiritual meditation to become one with the universe and wear a shit ton of wooden beads. Just 10 minutes as I go to bed, paying attention to breath and thoughts as they happen. found it helpful to use a directed course via an app, your mileage may vary. https://www.wakingup.com/

It's free, and can't hurt. why not? For me it's become something I look forward to at the end of the day.

I have been meditating for a while now but it's sometimes (at least for me) doing a bit more harm than good as it can seamlessly spiral into overthinking situations and attitudes. I'd rather just lift weights (luckily I have some available here) and try to get in an endorfin trance and that helps a bit more.

I'm trying to balance it out the best I can and at the end of the day the best you can do is the best you can do
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

I've meditated in some form since I had mental health problems at university. I get some solace from it but it doesn't really help much in the grander scheme of things.

Currently I'm flicking between states of extreme anxiety and feeling too exhausted to be anxious. I'm going to get an appointment next week to see if my GP will prescribe anything. Part of me thinks I just need a long break and change of pace in life though.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.