hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 180 of 181 FirstFirst ... 80130170177178179180181 LastLast
Results 3,581 to 3,600 of 3618

Thread: The Serious Mental Health Thread

Shitty rental units as in everything is broken, moldy, just not fit to live in, or shitty neighborhood, small and cramped, shitty location in relation to (prospective) work?

The former is hard to justify, the latter I did for two years. And within my apartment it was nice, neighbors etc were utter trash. But I could tolerate that actually.
    nevar forget

Anyone here have experience of peer support groups?

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    Duckslayer iirc

Sent from my CUBOT CHEETAH 2 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

Can you be a little more specific?

i 'co-facilitate' a local mental health peer support group, if people here had any experience i'd be interested in their ideas on what things they find do and don't work in that environment.

another person with more experience 'runs' the group (i.e leads discussion etc) and i'm more there to support and prep. the group has grown perhaps a bit big and unwieldy (18 people last week), so where just an informal chat and making time for everyone to have a say if they want did work before i'm now finding that some quieter or more anxious people fade into the background and maybe aren't getting as much out of it as they used to. so wondering how other groups do things and see if that generates any ideas or inspiration i could draw from.

i 'co-facilitate' a local mental health peer support group, if people here had any experience i'd be interested in their ideas on what things they find do and don't work in that environment.

another person with more experience 'runs' the group (i.e leads discussion etc) and i'm more there to support and prep. the group has grown perhaps a bit big and unwieldy (18 people last week), so where just an informal chat and making time for everyone to have a say if they want did work before i'm now finding that some quieter or more anxious people fade into the background and maybe aren't getting as much out of it as they used to. so wondering how other groups do things and see if that generates any ideas or inspiration i could draw from.
    OK. Don't do ring of death. It's over bearing for some, seems like you are forced to say something and isn't really productive. Best experiences I have had are where it's just a load of tables and chairs, Tea, coffee and biscuits and people just come in and have a chat about stuff with each other for a while. They can come and go as they please. Even when leading a prepped discussion avoid that fucking ring of death.

i'm guessing by that you mean 'go around the circle one at a time, everyone says something'? which i agree with, no-one needs to be pressured into shit. the flip side though is when you have people that want to join in, but would never want to interrupt or speak up if someone else is already talking. i know a couple of people who were quite involved and chatty when it was 7-8 people, but now it's more that double that don't get involved at all (and you can't really turn people away because it's 'full'). so trying to make space for people without dictating who talks and what is talked about is what i'm grappling with.

First of 18 is way to big. 10 to maybe max.12 is what i do. But i prefer <12.
    Offcourse you can refuse people because its quality that you want.
    There is also a whole slew of methods to get people to talk. Those go from mood boards, life stories, experience sharing to card games e.g. inspirational, experience, mood, etc etc.

If you and your lead dont know these you are on a amazing amateur level. Simply because a short google search will give you hundreds of results and the card games are cheap and easily found on the internets.

Simple example:
    Get a set of mood cards. They depict happy and sad thoughts. Ask a member to pick one of each categgorie. Give them 5-to 10 minutes to pick them out and then have them talk about either one for a few minutes. I cant see this working with 18 members but in max 12 you will have your 2 hours filled.
    Also dont be afraid to give your group homework. Sure half wont do it but it gets them all thinking and maybe half will actually do it so thats a new ice breaker for the next weeks session.
    Another one is sharing your personal story to get a theme going. Its not really dictating what is talked about but nudging a group into a certain direction. Its really easy with enough experience, herding is better than nudging i guess.

All of the above assumes you and your lead have had a course in how to lead such a group. If not try to get it. If you have more questions im glad to help.

disclaimer:
    This depends on the shithole you live in. I forgot where you are from but if its Zimbabwe i cant help you any further.

What kind of issues / problems are discussed in a group like this? And how does it help?

Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    What kind of issues / problems are discussed in a group like this? And how does it help?
    He said it was a 'local mental health peer support group' so i assume they have a scope of disorders in mind and not ALL of them. As to how it helps. Well 8 out of 10 Dutch patients in such a group say just sharing story's with peers make them feel more at ease (im not a freak) and more self confident (hey im not the only one having this maybe i can do stuff instead of hiding inside). Very simply put offcourse.
    Peer psycho education is often experienced and recieved more effective than a 'little man; huge doctor' type of situation.

Interesting concept. I must admit I am/was skeptical, but when I thought about it, I kinda realized that I use the /bipolar subreddit in much the same way. I've been through a journey from thinking that "everybody feels this way"(depression and hypomania as a teenager) to "holy fuck I am a freak I must bury this inside" (dealing with depression, hypomania and suicidal ideation as an adult). I suppose a controlled and facilitated group session is somewhat different than a uncontrolled, unfacilitated and random subreddit filled with to a varying degree of stable/unstable people.

Hm. Thanks for this - it's food for thought.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    i'm guessing by that you mean 'go around the circle one at a time, everyone says something'? which i agree with, no-one needs to be pressured into shit. the flip side though is when you have people that want to join in, but would never want to interrupt or speak up if someone else is already talking. i know a couple of people who were quite involved and chatty when it was 7-8 people, but now it's more that double that don't get involved at all (and you can't really turn people away because it's 'full'). so trying to make space for people without dictating who talks and what is talked about is what i'm grappling with.
    Could you hold two meetings back to back, bringing numbers down to 9 or so? Or just lengthen the time slot and make it a "drop in" session where people can come and go?

So news.

They caught the stepdad in Germany. He's been extradited to sweden and is being held in jail. There will be trial soon.

He's been on the run since 2014/2015 basically so.. I am not sure how to feel about this or what to do, i mean sure glad to finally close a chapter in my book so to say but also oldish wounds and all.

I dunno if I can even go to the trial (im a witness)
    [marquee][/marquee]

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobbyZ View Post
    So news.

They caught the stepdad in Germany. He's been extradited to sweden and is being held in jail. There will be trial soon.

He's been on the run since 2014/2015 basically so.. I am not sure how to feel about this or what to do, i mean sure glad to finally close a chapter in my book so to say but also oldish wounds and all.

I dunno if I can even go to the trial (im a witness)
    My first car was this [img]http://www.youtube.com/5sdn3g.gif[/im.

I missed the context. Link to original post?
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    Interesting concept. I must admit I am/was skeptical, but when I thought about it, I kinda realized that I use the /bipolar subreddit in much the same way. I've been through a journey from thinking that "everybody feels this way"(depression and hypomania as a teenager) to "holy fuck I am a freak I must bury this inside" (dealing with depression, hypomania and suicidal ideation as an adult). I suppose a controlled and facilitated group session is somewhat different than a uncontrolled, unfacilitated and random subreddit filled with to a varying degree of stable/unstable people.

Hm. Thanks for this - it's food for thought.
    That would have been way better than you assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    I missed the context. Link to original post?
    Don't have it, probably around page 144 or so but tl;dr, stepdad physically and mentally abused the family causing us to move out etc, this has been ongoing since 2014

He was arrested, especially after kidnapping my brothers, and then let go after initial proceedings but was still suspect, we had already moved to protected areas and all so we were generally safe

then when the trial was going to happen, the guy fled the country somehow ending up in turkey so the swedish gov't put out an arrest warrant for him and fastforward untill now when he got arrested in germany

I got the call from the court and i'm called as a witness so yay..
    [marquee][/marquee]

OIC. Good that there's a chance that justice will prevail but sucks that you're dragged into it
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

so went to the trial, said my stuff etc

find out he was let go pending the judgement in 2 weeks
    they havnt learned a single thing

sigh
    [marquee][/marquee]

Idiots.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget