hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 177 of 177 FirstFirst ... 77127167174175176177
Results 3,521 to 3,527 of 3527

Thread: The Serious Mental Health Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NightFallsFast View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFallsFast View Post
    So. After being almost hospitalized during what my psychiatrist called a "hypo-manic episode" last week; I am now in treatment (sans hospitalization) and on Zyprexa. Going to be further evaluated, but they seem to be working quite well. Not hypo-manic now at least, and getting lots of sleep. My headache has also gone away, so maybe that was related to the stress of not telling anybody. Who knows. Also, almost jumped off a bridge, but nobody saw that, so managed to downplay it enough when I told my psychiatrist to avoid hospitalization. No inclination of ever going close to a bridge again ; that shit was too tempting. So - hooray I guess. Doing a evaluation and diagnostic test next week (DSM-V).
    So. Turns out I suffer from bipolar disorder. After being diagnosed, and medicated (hello Seroquel) I am stable (mostly) and all headaches and similar physical manifestations have gone into hiding. Still have a lot of therapy to do (and do that weekly) to address anger issues and some other stuff (depression fueled suicidal thoughts for one), but in general doing much better. Turns out talking to a psychiatrist wasn't a bad idea after all.
    Seems you're doing better. Big ups, keep it up. It's nothing horrible and what matters most is your health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

Finally did my first psychiatric checkup. Probably 20 years too late, but better than never. Don't know how I feel about it. One the one hand I'm glad I did it. One the other hand I hate the fact I have to do it and can't sort myself out.

Psychological testing appointed and checkup in 2 weeks. I'm staring at this bottle of bupropionchloride pills I got. Tomorrow morning is gonna be an interesting day of decisions. One of the good sideffects seems to be I'm gonna start disliking cigarettes.

:brofist: to all y'all in dis fred
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Had my first proper visit to a therapist and apparently I don't have anything pathological, just a lot of unresolved stuff that's bugging me and issues in expressing myself in interpersonal relationships that aren't professional in nature. Apparently I can cope just fine when there are well defined boundaries (e.g. Work), but there are issues when I have to set said boundaries (e.g. personal life).

So, CBT it is, yay.

Six shooters ruined PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Had my first proper visit to a therapist and apparently I don't have anything pathological, just a lot of unresolved stuff that's bugging me and issues in expressing myself in interpersonal relationships that aren't professional in nature. Apparently I can cope just fine when there are well defined boundaries (e.g. Work), but there are issues when I have to set said boundaries (e.g. personal life).

So, CBT it is, yay.

That could be true for me too. How did the visit go, if i may ask?

And what was CBT again?

Feeling very unsettled at the moment ... hard to describe ... like punching a kitten might be a good idea (voice of reason: no, it is not!)

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    I tried that... I'll be honest I felt it didnt really help me much. Same with the Citalopram my doctor prescribed.

Getting into a weekly routine of weights / pressups etc and long walks (1hr minimum) in the countryside did infinitely more for curing depression and boosting my confidence during that time.

Your mileage may vary. Its probably different strokes for different folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cortess View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post

So, CBT it is, yay.

That could be true for me too. How did the visit go, if i may ask?

And what was CBT again?

Feeling very unsettled at the moment ... hard to describe ... like punching a kitten might be a good idea (voice of reason: no, it is not!)
    Visit went well, I'm seeing her again tomorrow. This lady is really a good therapist, I had 1h scheduled however she took another hour out of her time (and she only bills me one in the end, not that it's cheap, but I really appreciate the gesture). Basically it was a sort of "appraisal", see what brought me to her, where I am in life, what I feel my issues are and so on and so forth.

For me it's mostly being alone for 2 years now - new gf is there, however she is still at a distance, needs to finish some studies before moving in with me, stuff we already discussed and what not. Yep, she's visiting, I'm visiting, it's still a lot of mileage and tiredness builds up. And this stuff shows at one point, especially since me going out happened exactly 4-5 times last year, out of which 2 (I think) were EvE meetups (nothing wrong with that, however going out helps and shit, you know, social bla bla.

Being lonely isn't so bad, however I've grown very antisocial in my personal life - it doesn't show in my professional life at all since apparently there I've borders set, which I have great difficulties setting in my private life - if I'm asked for help, I'll help until I can't help anymore (i.e. I'm fatally injured or dead), which isn't always appropriate. Mind you, I don't do this for anybody, but if only 2-3 people don't stop asking, I will bleed out eventually and burn out. At the moment I'm not in that point (bled out or burned out), however I feel it's closing in and I've taken the decision to preemptively see a therapist and see what's what.

I'll write more on this tomorrow night after the meeting, hopefully this time I won't look like I've been ran over by a train (unshaved, caveman appearance, sigh). Bottom line is I don't have any pathology, I'm not a danger to me or other people (this includes people I look after in my day job ), so 's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    I tried that... I'll be honest I felt it didnt really help me much. Same with the Citalopram my doctor prescribed.

Getting into a weekly routine of weights / pressups etc and long walks (1hr minimum) in the countryside did infinitely more for curing depression and boosting my confidence during that time.

Your mileage may vary. Its probably different strokes for different folks.
    Depends a lot on what your issues are. CBT is a very large umbrella covering a lot of techniques - in my specific case I need DBT, for example. Mentioned to the nice lady that thingie Lall mentioned (CBT = coping 101) and she had a good laugh about it and told me it's p much spot on, however it's like it says on the tin, a collection of a lot of stuff that helps. Being such a varied bundle, it makes sense it can serve lots of types of people and personalities, so I suppose ymmv indeed.

Btw, gym works for me as well, but it did well only for a while, then I was back in derp mode and gym sessions were rarer. So I felt it got me in a downward spiral, so decided to break out of it (and take a nose dive immediately since seeing a therapist did affect my morale, even if subliminally so) - however overall the trend should be back to baseline and hopefully above that and improved.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.