hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 180 of 180 FirstFirst ... 80130170177178179180
Results 3,581 to 3,584 of 3584

Thread: The Serious Mental Health Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    So does low-sugar diets and exercise make a difference for bipolar or is that just lies?
    I don't have any research to back it up, so it's just my experiences and the advice of my pdoc (and others) - but exercise helps, maybe because of the dopamine, I don't know. For me, lots of sugar (along with alcohol and not sleeping much) can trigger an episode.

Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

So does low-sugar diets and exercise make a difference for bipolar or is that just lies?
    I have read somewhere of a UK study that suggested that excessive glucose in the diet can block the effects of certain antidepressants in some people, but didn't dig any deeper at the time and can't find it again now.

I'm not depressed or bipolar (as far as I know), but after personally having eaten low carb now for ~18 months I definitely feel like I'm capable of coping with stress better. Certainly I still get stressed, but I do feel I can deal with that stress better. My bad days don't seem quite as bad as they used to be, put it that way.

I have never read anything in the DSM related literature about low sugar diets and Bipolar however in The Netherlands its considered 'proven practices' to exercise if depressed or Bipolar. There are a few ways to look at this. 1. The social aspect, e.g. assisted walking groups are regular for group therapy (and free) 2. Breaking the spiral/cycle of inactivity 3. Various studies show that working out increase dopamines etc. but the discussion is how effective those are because of low intensity training in general.

Relapse numbers are way down if you use combined therapy being Medication, 'talk' therapy (CGT/DGT etc) and social/physical activity. Offcourse in various degrees depending your own state of mind and progress.