hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 180 of 181 FirstFirst ... 80130170177178179180181 LastLast
Results 3,581 to 3,600 of 3614

Thread: The Serious Mental Health Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    So does low-sugar diets and exercise make a difference for bipolar or is that just lies?
    I don't have any research to back it up, so it's just my experiences and the advice of my pdoc (and others) - but exercise helps, maybe because of the dopamine, I don't know. For me, lots of sugar (along with alcohol and not sleeping much) can trigger an episode.

Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

So does low-sugar diets and exercise make a difference for bipolar or is that just lies?
    I have read somewhere of a UK study that suggested that excessive glucose in the diet can block the effects of certain antidepressants in some people, but didn't dig any deeper at the time and can't find it again now.

I'm not depressed or bipolar (as far as I know), but after personally having eaten low carb now for ~18 months I definitely feel like I'm capable of coping with stress better. Certainly I still get stressed, but I do feel I can deal with that stress better. My bad days don't seem quite as bad as they used to be, put it that way.

I have never read anything in the DSM related literature about low sugar diets and Bipolar however in The Netherlands its considered 'proven practices' to exercise if depressed or Bipolar. There are a few ways to look at this. 1. The social aspect, e.g. assisted walking groups are regular for group therapy (and free) 2. Breaking the spiral/cycle of inactivity 3. Various studies show that working out increase dopamines etc. but the discussion is how effective those are because of low intensity training in general.

Relapse numbers are way down if you use combined therapy being Medication, 'talk' therapy (CGT/DGT etc) and social/physical activity. Offcourse in various degrees depending your own state of mind and progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Derindar View Post
    I have read somewhere of a UK study that suggested that excessive glucose in the diet can block the effects of certain antidepressants in some people, but didn't dig any deeper at the time and can't find it again now.

I'm not depressed or bipolar (as far as I know), but after personally having eaten low carb now for ~18 months I definitely feel like I'm capable of coping with stress better. Certainly I still get stressed, but I do feel I can deal with that stress better. My bad days don't seem quite as bad as they used to be, put it that way.
    You've also lost a huge amount of weight. There are much stronger connections between obesity and mental health issues. Losing weight improves mental health, the method to lose weight doesn't seem important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

The Serious Mental Health Thread

Fun fact; most if not all mood stabilizers leads to increased appetite, and thus in many cases weight gain. That means quite a few people stop taking their meds; which for bipolar patients usually isnt a good idea. Fun circle.
    Last edited by morpheps; April 25 2017 at 07:24:09 PM.

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    Fun fact; most if not all mood stabilizers leads to increased appetite, and thus in many cases weight gain. That means quite a few people stop taking their meds; which for bipolar patients usually isnt a good idea. Fun circle.
    its one of the reasons ive stopped taking mine. I was eating an insane amount id easly say close to 4 if not 5k calories a day just non stop snaking. Fucking hated it.

Which one? I've been on both Seroquel and now Lamictal and cant say I notice anything. Then again, I dont eat much anyhow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to have a whinge and get some stuff off my chest.

I had been working in a temporary job nearly full-time from start of January to the end of April and even though it meant being in another city, driving 500km a week and sleeping on airbeds I was happy. Now that it is over and I have much more limited working hours I am feeling stressed and depressed. I also have to find somewhere to rent by the end of June and my options are currently really shitty units or housesharing with uni students again which I don't want to do. And lastly I am getting screwed around by Centrelink (unemployment payments) so my income is non existent.

I know that everything should work out fine and that I have enough savings to last me to August, but I feel that everything is about to go to hell and I just want to throw everything I own into my car and drive off leaving it all behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.

Well, there's always couch surfing.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Shitty rental units as in everything is broken, moldy, just not fit to live in, or shitty neighborhood, small and cramped, shitty location in relation to (prospective) work?

The former is hard to justify, the latter I did for two years. And within my apartment it was nice, neighbors etc were utter trash. But I could tolerate that actually.
    nevar forget

Anyone here have experience of peer support groups?

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    Duckslayer iirc

Sent from my CUBOT CHEETAH 2 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

Can you be a little more specific?

i 'co-facilitate' a local mental health peer support group, if people here had any experience i'd be interested in their ideas on what things they find do and don't work in that environment.

another person with more experience 'runs' the group (i.e leads discussion etc) and i'm more there to support and prep. the group has grown perhaps a bit big and unwieldy (18 people last week), so where just an informal chat and making time for everyone to have a say if they want did work before i'm now finding that some quieter or more anxious people fade into the background and maybe aren't getting as much out of it as they used to. so wondering how other groups do things and see if that generates any ideas or inspiration i could draw from.

i 'co-facilitate' a local mental health peer support group, if people here had any experience i'd be interested in their ideas on what things they find do and don't work in that environment.

another person with more experience 'runs' the group (i.e leads discussion etc) and i'm more there to support and prep. the group has grown perhaps a bit big and unwieldy (18 people last week), so where just an informal chat and making time for everyone to have a say if they want did work before i'm now finding that some quieter or more anxious people fade into the background and maybe aren't getting as much out of it as they used to. so wondering how other groups do things and see if that generates any ideas or inspiration i could draw from.
    OK. Don't do ring of death. It's over bearing for some, seems like you are forced to say something and isn't really productive. Best experiences I have had are where it's just a load of tables and chairs, Tea, coffee and biscuits and people just come in and have a chat about stuff with each other for a while. They can come and go as they please. Even when leading a prepped discussion avoid that fucking ring of death.

i'm guessing by that you mean 'go around the circle one at a time, everyone says something'? which i agree with, no-one needs to be pressured into shit. the flip side though is when you have people that want to join in, but would never want to interrupt or speak up if someone else is already talking. i know a couple of people who were quite involved and chatty when it was 7-8 people, but now it's more that double that don't get involved at all (and you can't really turn people away because it's 'full'). so trying to make space for people without dictating who talks and what is talked about is what i'm grappling with.

First of 18 is way to big. 10 to maybe max.12 is what i do. But i prefer <12.
    Offcourse you can refuse people because its quality that you want.
    There is also a whole slew of methods to get people to talk. Those go from mood boards, life stories, experience sharing to card games e.g. inspirational, experience, mood, etc etc.

If you and your lead dont know these you are on a amazing amateur level. Simply because a short google search will give you hundreds of results and the card games are cheap and easily found on the internets.

Simple example:
    Get a set of mood cards. They depict happy and sad thoughts. Ask a member to pick one of each categgorie. Give them 5-to 10 minutes to pick them out and then have them talk about either one for a few minutes. I cant see this working with 18 members but in max 12 you will have your 2 hours filled.
    Also dont be afraid to give your group homework. Sure half wont do it but it gets them all thinking and maybe half will actually do it so thats a new ice breaker for the next weeks session.
    Another one is sharing your personal story to get a theme going. Its not really dictating what is talked about but nudging a group into a certain direction. Its really easy with enough experience, herding is better than nudging i guess.

All of the above assumes you and your lead have had a course in how to lead such a group. If not try to get it. If you have more questions im glad to help.

disclaimer:
    This depends on the shithole you live in. I forgot where you are from but if its Zimbabwe i cant help you any further.

What kind of issues / problems are discussed in a group like this? And how does it help?

Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    What kind of issues / problems are discussed in a group like this? And how does it help?
    He said it was a 'local mental health peer support group' so i assume they have a scope of disorders in mind and not ALL of them. As to how it helps. Well 8 out of 10 Dutch patients in such a group say just sharing story's with peers make them feel more at ease (im not a freak) and more self confident (hey im not the only one having this maybe i can do stuff instead of hiding inside). Very simply put offcourse.
    Peer psycho education is often experienced and recieved more effective than a 'little man; huge doctor' type of situation.