hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 179 of 182 FirstFirst ... 79129169176177178179180181182 LastLast
Results 3,561 to 3,580 of 3639

Thread: The Serious Mental Health Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4m View Post
    Going to see gp next month.

first time admitting i need help.

not very good at sharing feelings.

not sure what to say to my gp, what i want or if i even.

i dont know whats wrong with me but both gf and mum have said i should look into getting some help, and as the closest two people in my life i haven't really got a right to say no.

im genuinely scared... what do they even ask?
    Mate, I'm glad you're doing it. However, it is a common thing people visiting their GPs and telling them they need help because family told them so. This is a recipe of getting prescribed shit that may not be right for you in the vast majority of cases.

My suggestion is to see a therapist privately and ask them for an assessment. It's around £100 for that, depending on how good they are. From there, they can direct you further if you need or don't need meds or you could cope just with therapy alone. It also keeps shit private so that if there's nothing serious you don't get shit written in your file by the GP (they can't contact your GP unless you allow them or they think you're a danger to yourself or others). Plus you minimise the chances of getting shit prescribed and downward spiral psychologically due to side effects.

You can tell your therapist anything that bothers you. If you want, hit me up and we can have a chat after 5 today and I'll share my experience, maybe it'll help you being pointed in the right direction.

Btw, mental health referrals from GPs take ages to go through, this would be much faster.

Big ups for considering looking after yourself from this pov.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?İDoomchinchilla 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp4m View Post
    Going to see gp next month.

first time admitting i need help.

not very good at sharing feelings.

not sure what to say to my gp, what i want or if i even.

i dont know whats wrong with me but both gf and mum have said i should look into getting some help, and as the closest two people in my life i haven't really got a right to say no.

im genuinely scared... what do they even ask?
    Mate, I'm glad you're doing it. However, it is a common thing people visiting their GPs and telling them they need help because family told them so. This is a recipe of getting prescribed shit that may not be right for you in the vast majority of cases.

My suggestion is to see a therapist privately and ask them for an assessment. It's around £100 for that, depending on how good they are. From there, they can direct you further if you need or don't need meds or you could cope just with therapy alone. It also keeps shit private so that if there's nothing serious you don't get shit written in your file by the GP (they can't contact your GP unless you allow them or they think you're a danger to yourself or others). Plus you minimise the chances of getting shit prescribed and downward spiral psychologically due to side effects.

You can tell your therapist anything that bothers you. If you want, hit me up and we can have a chat after 5 today and I'll share my experience, maybe it'll help you being pointed in the right direction.

Btw, mental health referrals from GPs take ages to go through, this would be much faster.

Big ups for considering looking after yourself from this pov.

Thanks for the advice - some follow up questions,

Ok, gf/mum have told me to but I do agree, I'm not going to go in there and say "someone told me to be here"

I do however worry about the "shit written in file by GP" bit. Its my main reason for not wanting to go... or putting it off... or whatever.

I -Definitely- have

>anger issues
    >drug abuse problems
    >problematic behaviour related to mixing of the above
    >some bouts of what might be depression (might not be tho)

I don't know if I am able to self diagnose, but the more psychology books i read ( thanks psychology student GF) the more complexes, syndromes and crisis i belive I have or am in....
    so I've decided to box that shit up and focus on the stuff I know and let the GP do the diags,

does that sound ok? Its just I don't think I have £100 to go to a therapist after getting stung by the 50 yesterday with a load of car related fines.

I do have private healthcare so once I get a GP I can get an open referall and get my work to pay for it (thnx work lovee you)

First of all, under no circumstance try to self diagnose. I don't do it even when it's physical health related even though I work in the field. I don't feel well, I go see a colleague and tell them "fix me".

I would also not let the GP do the diagnosing, you need a mental health professional. So what I'd recommend if you don't want to go private is go see your GP to get an open referral - tell him you have anger issues and you feel sad and you can't enjoy shit you used to enjoy. Don't mention the drug problems yet. Get work to pay for a therapist/psychologist via the referral. Tell the therapist only everything only after ensuring they won't tell the GP unless there are serious issues (again, this is mandatory for them but do check it). Start with "i have this and that issues and I'd like them resolved because they bother me". Again, leave the drug abuse for a second or third meeting with the therapist, that is most of the times a symptom rather than a cause of stuff that affects you (tell me if it makes sense to you). I'm only saying this because people (doctors are also human).

Thing is the UK also has a stigma for mental health issues, so try to fly under your GPs radar to avoid possibly unpleasant stuff.

Hope this helps.

Six shooters ruined PvP.

U
    First of all, under no circumstance try to self diagnose. I don't do it even when it's physical health related even though I work in the field. I don't feel well, I go see a colleague and tell them "fix me".

I would also not let the GP do the diagnosing, you need a mental health professional. So what I'd recommend if you don't want to go private is go see your GP to get an open referral - tell him you have anger issues and you feel sad and you can't enjoy shit you used to enjoy. Don't mention the drug problems yet. Get work to pay for a therapist/psychologist via the referral. Tell the therapist only everything only after ensuring they won't tell the GP unless there are serious issues (again, this is mandatory for them but do check it). Start with "i have this and that issues and I'd like them resolved because they bother me". Again, leave the drug abuse for a second or third meeting with the therapist, that is most of the times a symptom rather than a cause of stuff that affects you (tell me if it makes sense to you). I'm only saying this because people (doctors are also human).

Thing is the UK also has a stigma for mental health issues, so try to fly under your GPs radar to avoid possibly unpleasant stuff.

Hope this helps.

Thank you. My gp will already know of an instance of drug use. But I will keep it under the radar

Disclaimer: I don't know shit about the GPs or the journals they keep in your country, or whatever files that may hurt you later on.

That being said, I have posted various stuff in this thread under the nickname "NightFallsFast" (inspired by the book about "Understanding Suicide" by Kay Redfield Jamison - so shallow, I know). And what I have learned in the past year, apart from dealing with being diagnosed with bipolar disease and the shit that goes with it - is that nothing really gets resolved unless you start being honest about it. So, sorry if I rain on anyone's parade, but unless you're ready for it - seeing a GP because "someone told me to be here" doesn't really help deep down. A GP may refer you to a mental health professional based on that, but all they're going to do is ask you questions based on what YOU think or feel. So if you, deep down, want or are ready for that journey, embrace it. You are most likely in for a ride, but I'm pretty sure it's for the better.

Point was that you don't need to have shit written in your file that may hurt employment possibilities later. Just saying, you can be 100% honest about it to yourself and the mental health professional, but that's about it for necessary honesty.

Because I've seen people with bipolar disorder who got a lot better and had issues on employment later on, because nobody actually writes "healed" or "no further issues". Maybe not the UK, but with the degree of medical records siphoning I wouldn't risk leaking stuff that's unnecessary.

Six shooters ruined PvP.

Point was that you don't need to have shit written in your file that may hurt employment possibilities later. Just saying, you can be 100% honest about it to yourself and the mental health professional, but that's about it for necessary honesty.

Because I've seen people with bipolar disorder who got a lot better and had issues on employment later on, because nobody actually writes "healed" or "no further issues". Maybe not the UK, but with the degree of medical records siphoning I wouldn't risk leaking stuff that's unnecessary.

Wait... it's legal for an employer in the UK to know an employees medical record?
    nevar forget

The Serious Mental Health Thread

Is it legal for anyone anywhere to know about your shit? Not really, but it's still happening. Personally I wouldn't take the risk and I don't suffer from any psychological issues that may require medication.

There is a lot of shit going on related to "workplace wellness" that'd creep out even the nsa but it's happening and we're quite close overall to discriminate against people who have suffered from mental health issues. Which is fair enough up to a point, you don't really want to hire a pilot that's depressed or a bipolar surgeon even under medication and feeling well.

Case I mentioned wasn't in the UK but the person had the bipolar diagnostic years prior stuck on his medical file. And you're compelled to hand over those details to your prospective employer. Suffice to say he's not employed albeit his issues have been long resolved. Now he's trying legal means to have that removed and no, it isn't working. And even if you have written that it's resolved, employers usually read it as a potential liability. With the excessive number of applicants it's easy to dismiss undesirable elements with "not qualified enough" or "overqualified".

Mental health issues are imho best tackled privately initially. If one required medication, by all means refer to psych, but avoid at all costs having shit written down in your medical file. Even if it's safe now, it may not be in ten years time. This is an entirely subjective advice and shouldn't prevent people from seeking help.

Six shooters ruined PvP.

Is it legal for anyone anywhere to know about your shit? Not really, but it's still happening. Personally I wouldn't take the risk and I don't suffer from any psychological issues that may require medication.

There is a lot of shit going on related to "workplace wellness" that'd creep out even the nsa but it's happening and we're quite close overall to discriminate against people who have suffered from mental health issues. Which is fair enough up to a point, you don't really want to hire a pilot that's depressed or a bipolar surgeon even under medication and feeling well.

Case I mentioned wasn't in the UK but the person had the bipolar diagnostic years prior stuck on his medical file. And you're compelled to hand over those details to your prospective employer. Suffice to say he's not employed albeit his issues have been long resolved. Now he's trying legal means to have that removed and no, it isn't working. And even if you have written that it's resolved, employers usually read it as a potential liability. With the excessive number of applicants it's easy to dismiss undesirable elements with "not qualified enough" or "overqualified".

Mental health issues are imho best tackled privately initially. If one required medication, by all means refer to psych, but avoid at all costs having shit written down in your medical file. Even if it's safe now, it may not be in ten years time. This is an entirely subjective advice and shouldn't prevent people from seeking help.

Bolded the important bit.

Here when I go and see a doctor and get a sick note, I get two different versions. One for my employer with the time unable to work, who the doctor is and no other info. The other for my health insurance with the prior info and the ICD-10 code. As a teacher I am not supposed to know what a student has unless it affects in class behavior or ability. And even then the parents have the choice to limit the info we get (which none I had to deal with have ever used, usually we know a lot more than we need to - for better or worse).

If you work for the government, they may request a physical for the Beamte-employment mode, which is iffy but they end up paying half or more of every bill ever until you die.
    nevar forget

So does low-sugar diets and exercise make a difference for bipolar or is that just lies?
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    So does low-sugar diets and exercise make a difference for bipolar or is that just lies?
    I don't have any research to back it up, so it's just my experiences and the advice of my pdoc (and others) - but exercise helps, maybe because of the dopamine, I don't know. For me, lots of sugar (along with alcohol and not sleeping much) can trigger an episode.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

I have read somewhere of a UK study that suggested that excessive glucose in the diet can block the effects of certain antidepressants in some people, but didn't dig any deeper at the time and can't find it again now.

I'm not depressed or bipolar (as far as I know), but after personally having eaten low carb now for ~18 months I definitely feel like I'm capable of coping with stress better. Certainly I still get stressed, but I do feel I can deal with that stress better. My bad days don't seem quite as bad as they used to be, put it that way.

I have never read anything in the DSM related literature about low sugar diets and Bipolar however in The Netherlands its considered 'proven practices' to exercise if depressed or Bipolar. There are a few ways to look at this. 1. The social aspect, e.g. assisted walking groups are regular for group therapy (and free) 2. Breaking the spiral/cycle of inactivity 3. Various studies show that working out increase dopamines etc. but the discussion is how effective those are because of low intensity training in general.

Relapse numbers are way down if you use combined therapy being Medication, 'talk' therapy (CGT/DGT etc) and social/physical activity. Offcourse in various degrees depending your own state of mind and progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Derindar View Post
    I have read somewhere of a UK study that suggested that excessive glucose in the diet can block the effects of certain antidepressants in some people, but didn't dig any deeper at the time and can't find it again now.

I'm not depressed or bipolar (as far as I know), but after personally having eaten low carb now for ~18 months I definitely feel like I'm capable of coping with stress better. Certainly I still get stressed, but I do feel I can deal with that stress better. My bad days don't seem quite as bad as they used to be, put it that way.
    You've also lost a huge amount of weight. There are much stronger connections between obesity and mental health issues. Losing weight improves mental health, the method to lose weight doesn't seem important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

The Serious Mental Health Thread

Fun fact; most if not all mood stabilizers leads to increased appetite, and thus in many cases weight gain. That means quite a few people stop taking their meds; which for bipolar patients usually isnt a good idea. Fun circle.
    Last edited by morpheps; April 25 2017 at 08:24:09 PM.

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheps View Post
    Fun fact; most if not all mood stabilizers leads to increased appetite, and thus in many cases weight gain. That means quite a few people stop taking their meds; which for bipolar patients usually isnt a good idea. Fun circle.
    its one of the reasons ive stopped taking mine. I was eating an insane amount id easly say close to 4 if not 5k calories a day just non stop snaking. Fucking hated it.

Which one? I've been on both Seroquel and now Lamictal and cant say I notice anything. Then again, I dont eat much anyhow

I need to have a whinge and get some stuff off my chest.

I had been working in a temporary job nearly full-time from start of January to the end of April and even though it meant being in another city, driving 500km a week and sleeping on airbeds I was happy. Now that it is over and I have much more limited working hours I am feeling stressed and depressed. I also have to find somewhere to rent by the end of June and my options are currently really shitty units or housesharing with uni students again which I don't want to do. And lastly I am getting screwed around by Centrelink (unemployment payments) so my income is non existent.

I know that everything should work out fine and that I have enough savings to last me to August, but I feel that everything is about to go to hell and I just want to throw everything I own into my car and drive off leaving it all behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.

Well, there's always couch surfing.