hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: [PVP] Blackbird

[PVP] Blackbird

These are small (2-10 man) gang fits. The highs vary wildly (of which more later) but I have two basic setups for the mids/lows, one plated for well bookmarked space and one LSE for roaming. They both have a bit of buffer taking them to around 10k EHP -- I find that in practice that's enough to tank some Warrior IIs or GTFO, less is not enough, more is wasteful.

The plated fit has less range and speed but it gets more jams thanks to the fifth jammer and the two strength rigs. It does lots of miniwarping on grid, cutting the range close to get more jams off.

[Blackbird, Armour 5 jams]
    Damage Control II
    800mm Reinforced Crystalline Carbonide Plates I

'Umbra' I White Noise ECM
    BZ-5 Neutralizing Spatial Destabilizer ECM
    'Hypnos' Ion Field ECM I
    Enfeebling Phase Inversion ECM I
    Enfeebling Phase Inversion ECM I (double up on whatever works locally)
    Y-T8 Overcharged Hydrocarbon I Microwarpdrive

[empty high slot]
    [empty high slot]
    [empty high slot]
    [empty high slot]

Medium Particle Dispersion Augmentor I

The shield version is more of a "burn off the gate when your scout says there's a gang coming" sort of deal. The extra speed may not seem much, but it gets you from "not quite enough" to "just about enough".

[Blackbird, Shield 4 jams LR]
    Signal Distortion Amplifier II
    Signal Amplifier II

'Hypnos' Ion Field ECM I
    Large Shield Extender II
    10MN MicroWarpdrive I

[empty high slot]
    [empty high slot]
    [empty high slot]
    [empty high slot]

Medium Particle Dispersion Projector I

--

Range is a big deal with Blackbirds, and there are two specific breakpoints that make a huge practical difference. At 60km+ most people can't assign drones to attack you (and won't think of drone assist). And at ~75km most Drakes can't hit you with heavy missiles. Those ranges happen to be where fits and skills kick in -- meta 3 vs 4/5 jammers, EWAR skills at IV vs V, range mods vs strength mods, nav skills to get the range before running out of time/cap, and so on. You need to think about those numbers, and how you're going to fit/fly the ship, and maybe what you're going to train. In particular you need to understand how fights start and progress and be in the right place before they start, and to do so without FC orders.

In my first few weeks in Blackbirds I had about 10 kills and 10 losses. Once I got my head around the paragraph above I got 100+ without another 10 losses.

--

And now for the fascinating but largely irrelevant topic of high slots. They're not all that important because you're usually out of range to use them. But Blackbird pilots will go on about them for hours and I'm no exception. Here are some things you can fit...

- HML. Not much DPS, and if you're any good at jamming not enough range, but whatever.

- AML + medium neut. When I started this was the hot tip, for killing intys that burn out to you. I had exactly one inty burn out to me (I jammed it and it pissed off), then the next weekend was the speed nerf and it has never happened since. These days they send drones, plus the occasional Vagabond.

- Smartbombs for drones. 1 medium = 2 small in dps, small uses less grid but more slots. 2 medium smarties or equivalent will usually kill a flight of lights before the owner thinks to recall them. You might kill medium drones before they kill you, it depends on skills and how much EHP/cap you had when they arrived. Against heavies or fighters, run as soon as you take damage because it's about to ramp like a bastard.

- Remote armour/hull reps, for repping gangmates (and their drones) between fights on roams. Make them small, you don't have cap for medium. A small remote hull repper will make you very popular with Ares/Ishkur/Taranis pilots.

- Rocket launchers with defenders. Yes, I know. But it might get you from inside to outside HML range before you pop, so it's not completely useless.

- Auto targeter. Don't switch it on, it's just for the extra locks. It's very nice to lock ~10 targets sometimes. You need to train Multitasking for this.

--

Blackbirds are fucking cool. They really are.

Re: Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Almaric
    INCOMING!!!!

yougonnagetraped.jpg

Re: Blackbird

I have been losing these recently, they are cheap, very low sp required and every one shoots them.
    44k ehp and costs 7mill ish

[Blackbird, Jade's Blackbird]
    Damage Control II
    Local Power Plant Manager: Diagnostic System I

Large F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
    Invulnerability Field II
    Invulnerability Field II

'Malkuth' Rocket Launcher I

Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
    Medium Anti-Kinetic Screen Reinforcer I
    Medium Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer I

decloak this first and get people to shoot it whilst the rest of the gang does its thing.
    You can get more ehp using extenders/full t2 but im a poor scrub.

bump

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellistara View Post

INCOMING!!!!

yougonnagetraped.jpg
    Incoming!!!! Yougonnagetraped.jpg. I'm almost flooded with gvg commons now though so looking forward to dying.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Almaric View Post
    These are small (2-10 man) gang fits. The highs vary wildly (of which more later) but I have two basic setups for the mids/lows, one plated for well bookmarked space and one LSE for roaming. They both have a bit of buffer taking them to around 10k EHP -- I find that in practice that's enough to tank some Warrior IIs or GTFO, less is not enough, more is wasteful.

The plated fit has less range and speed but it gets more jams thanks to the fifth jammer and the two strength rigs. It does lots of miniwarping on grid, cutting the range close to get more jams off.

[Blackbird, Armour 5 jams]
    Damage Control II
    800mm Reinforced Crystalline Carbonide Plates I

'Hypnos' Ion Field ECM I
    Enfeebling Phase Inversion ECM I (double up on whatever works locally)

[empty high slot]
    [empty high slot]
    [empty high slot]
    [empty high slot]

The shield version is more of a "burn off the gate when your scout says there's a gang coming" sort of deal. The extra speed may not seem much, but it gets you from "not quite enough" to "just about enough".

[Blackbird, Shield 4 jams LR]
    Signal Distortion Amplifier II
    Signal Amplifier II

'Hypnos' Ion Field ECM I
    Large Shield Extender II
    10MN MicroWarpdrive I

[empty high slot]
    [empty high slot]
    [empty high slot]
    [empty high slot]

--

Range is a big deal with Blackbirds, and there are two specific breakpoints that make a huge practical difference. At 60km+ most people can't assign drones to attack you (and won't think of drone assist). And at ~75km most Drakes can't hit you with heavy missiles. Those ranges happen to be where fits and skills kick in -- meta 3 vs 4/5 jammers, EWAR skills at IV vs V, range mods vs strength mods, nav skills to get the range before running out of time/cap, and so on. You need to think about those numbers, and how you're going to fit/fly the ship, and maybe what you're going to train. In particular you need to understand how fights start and progress and be in the right place before they start, and to do so without FC orders.

In my first few weeks in Blackbirds I had about 10 kills and 10 losses. Once I got my head around the paragraph above I got 100+ without another 10 losses.

--

And now for the fascinating but largely irrelevant topic of high slots. They're not all that important because you're usually out of range to use them. But Blackbird pilots will go on about them for hours and I'm no exception. Here are some things you can fit...

- HML. Not much DPS, and if you're any good at jamming not enough range, but whatever.

- AML + medium neut. When I started this was the hot tip, for killing intys that burn out to you. I had exactly one inty burn out to me (I jammed it and it pissed off), then the next weekend was the speed nerf and it has never happened since. These days they send drones, plus the occasional Vagabond.

- Smartbombs for drones. 1 medium = 2 small in dps, small uses less grid but more slots. 2 medium smarties or equivalent will usually kill a flight of lights before the owner thinks to recall them. You might kill medium drones before they kill you, it depends on skills and how much EHP/cap you had when they arrived. Against heavies or fighters, run as soon as you take damage because it's about to ramp like a bastard.

- Remote armour/hull reps, for repping gangmates (and their drones) between fights on roams. Make them small, you don't have cap for medium. A small remote hull repper will make you very popular with Ares/Ishkur/Taranis pilots.

- Rocket launchers with defenders. Yes, I know. But it might get you from inside to outside HML range before you pop, so it's not completely useless.

- Auto targeter. Don't switch it on, it's just for the extra locks. It's very nice to lock ~10 targets sometimes. You need to train Multitasking for this.

--

Not that one.

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    bump
    Just go for a Falcon tbh or Rook if you want some dps

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    bump
    why would you do such a thing
    ingame: AntonioBanderas
    Detecting epic potential, expecting epic fail.
    Ah yes, the fork: The poor man's trident
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer
    I fucking hate Steven Hawking. Smug little faggot with his stupid chariot