hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: The Raspberry Pi Thread.

elmicker is bang on regarding computing education here in the UK. The subject has not kept up with the times. Hell, it's barely reached the late 90s.

Raspberry Pi executive director Eben Upton claims that the graphics core of the $25 credit card sized computer "should double iPhone 4S performance across a range of content".

Speaking to Digital Foundry in an interview published today about how the Broadcom GPU compares to the current state-of-the-art in the mobile sector, Upton enthused about the level of graphical power available to homebrew programmers with the device.

"I was on the team that designed the graphics core, so I'm a little biased here, but I genuinely believe we have the best mobile GPU team in the world at Broadcom in Cambridge," Upton said.

One of the challenges facing kids today is that AAA content is so far beyond what they can reasonably hope to achieve, so casual games provide a nice target.

Eben Upton

"What's really striking is how badly Tegra 2 performs relative even to simple APs using licensed Imagination Technologies (TI and Apple) or ARM Mali (Samsung) graphics. To summarise, BCM2835 has a tile mode architecture - so it kills immediate-mode devices like Tegra on fill-rate - and we've chosen to configure it with a very large amount of shader performance, so it does very well on compute-intensive benchmarks, and should double iPhone 4S performance across a range of content."

Upton believes that the size, scale and scope of AAA development has put games programming out of reach for many enthusiasts and hopes that the rise of mobile gaming and the availability of a cheap, accessible platform could make all the difference.

Games developers and publishers could also play an important role in the success of the Raspberry Pi venture too.

"The games industry has an enormous part to play in solving this problem. We'd like to see companies chip in with tutorials, free asset packs, internships, coding competitions with decent-sized prizes," said Upton.

"One of the challenges facing kids today is that AAA content is so far beyond what they can reasonably hope to achieve, so casual games provide a nice target; this is why we're concentrating on working with companies like YoYo Games to give kids the tools they need to write the next Angry Birds rather than the next Modern Warfare."
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...cs-performance

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    From what I've seen, the board is far better suited for use as a quasi-embedded client, to ensmarten otherwise dumb devices.
    That's exactly what i was going to use a couple for.
    Gaffer tape them to the back of TV's
    No. A Rhinoceros is not a fat Unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    That's exactly what i was going to use a couple for.
    Gaffer tape them to the back of TV's
    They've got videos of them running both xmbc and airplay now. WONDROUS.

*jizz in my pants*
    Free Clamdong!

It's 1080p for h264 only so far because it has a dedicated chip for that we've yet to see how it does for other formats.

Quote Originally Posted by ThonEney View Post
    It's 1080p for h264 only so far because it has a dedicated chip for that we've yet to see how it does for other formats.
    Which streaming websites use that for their content? YouTube? Because lets face it, if you want to watch bluray, you can buy a simple standalone player, and downloaded films you can either get in h264 straight away or convert yourself on the main rig I'd say. Considering the tv-pc approach.
    nevar forget

I don't know if it means anything, but when I went to check their website just now, it's down. I automatically checked downforeveryoneorjustme to see if my ISP is playing silly buggers but it's down from there, too.

I hope it means something good is coming, they said Model B should start rolling off of the presses by the end of January ~

EDIT: false alarm, checked their twitter feed and it looks as though their server has died & they're working on getting the site back online soon. Units are still in CHING CHONG POTATO land.
    Last edited by Sparq; February 1 2012 at 05:01:18 AM.

I’ve got some bad and good news about manufacturing. The bad news is that it’s taking a little longer than we’d hoped, because the factory had some trouble sourcing a specific component. The quartz crystal package we had chosen when we thought we were manufacturing in the UK is readily available over here in Europe, and was the cheapest we could find; but it turns out that in China, that crystal package has been overtaken in price and size by a smaller, cheaper one, so the one we’d designed for has been a bit hard to find. The factory has sourced crystals now, so we’re all go. The good news is that this finally means we have a date for the first batch: the boards will be finished on February 20. Eben and I may be going to China to make sure that the boards can be brought up properly for that date if necessary. We’ll be airfreighting them to the UK immediately, so you should be able to buy them before the end of the month.

There’s another big piece of news today. We’ve been leaning (gently and charmingly) on Broadcom, who make BCM2835, the SoC at the heart of the Raspberry Pi, to produce an abbreviated datasheet describing the ARM peripherals in the chip. If you’re a casual user, this won’t be of much interest to you, but if you’re wanting to port your own operating system or just want to understand our Linux kernel sources, this is the document for you. You can download a PDF here. Huge thanks to Gert, JamesH, Gray and Dom for, once again, going above and beyond for us. We really appreciate it.
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/615

I'm really looking forward to picking one of these up and using it as a low-power webserver/fileserver. The old dell workstation I picked up from my last internship just isn't cutting it any more.

I wonder how they're going to be selling them. They can barely keep up their news blog and forums on a slow day, heaven knows what'll happen when tens of thousands of nerdy types descend on the site to try and buy a few thousand of the first run.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    I wonder how they're going to be selling them. They can barely keep up their news blog and forums on a slow day, heaven knows what'll happen when tens of thousands of nerdy types descend on the site to try and buy a few thousand of the first run.
    Capitalism based on nerdery. Whoever can get the site to load is deserving of a R-PI.

Could i possibly make one into a gps receiver/mediaplayer for incar use? Maybe with wifi capabilities and a bluetooth keyboard mouse combo with a basic browser?

http://www.raspbmc.com/

fapping so hard. I hope I can get at least 1 when it launches...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuggin View Post
    http://www.raspbmc.com/

fapping so hard. I hope I can get at least 1 when it launches...
    The most amazing part of all that is this from the developer:

Q: Who are you?

A: Short story: Sam Nazarko. Longer: I am a student in London doing my final year of A levels before heading off to university.
    Maybe he's an older guy who taught himself all this on the job after he dropped out of school as a kid, and is now going back to get official qualifications. I don't think that's the case though, so it's probable the dev is a fucking teenage prodigy. (A prodigy to me least to me. What he's doing seems fucking impressive for a kid.)

Isn't the point of this whole initiative to cultivate more kid prodigies?

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    Yes, and they expect to bolster their finances by selling to the enthusiast market in order to lower the price for educational institutions. Which is interesting considering how cheap they are to begin with.
    nevar forget

Movember 2012
    omg2weeks

Sort of. Which makes it cool that the most interesting thing being developed for it is being made by a prodigy who got their despite not having RasPi.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Yes, and they expect to bolster their finances by selling to the enthusiast market in order to lower the price for educational institutions. Which is interesting considering how cheap they are to begin with.
    Also, they want to have nerdy people up and running on it before they give it to schools. That way they hope the broader community with the knowledge and the places to get help will already be established and available for when kids start getting their hands on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brullig View Post
    omg2weeks
    denied.
    it's been delayed for a few weeks because of :china manufacturing:
    No. A Rhinoceros is not a fat Unicorn.

Movember 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brullig View Post
    omg2weeks
    denied.
    it's been delayed for a few weeks because of :china manufacturing:
    "The good news is that this finally means we have a date for the first batch: the boards will be finished on February 20." 2 weeks till complete board batch, at least. It'll probably be another 3-4 weeks before they begin shipping them out I guess