hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3138394041

Thread: The Raspberry Pi Thread.

Not really, no

Thing is I really started enjoying playing around with these tiny things especially now that I have a bit of time on my hands and it ties in quite nicely with other stuff I'm trying to learn
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

I'm considering getting a Pi 4 to use for web hosting.

What is the preferred way of doing the storage on these besides using SD cards that don't seem to be very reliable? The Lycom mSATA HAT for a small SSD's looks neat but what other options are out there?

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post

What is the preferred way of doing the storage on these besides using SD cards that don't seem to be very reliable? The Lycom mSATA HAT for a small SSD's looks neat but what other options are out there?
    If you want to be cheap, DO use an SD card but have the Pi image itself every other day to another storage somewhere.
    there comes a point with RPis when what you're spending on adapters and HATs and set up efforts that it's just worth paying a bit more for a real low end computer to run this stuff.

I would argue my opinion that you should only push your Pi great distances if you're after the experience of doing so rather than the end product.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post

If you want to be cheap, DO use an SD card but have the Pi image itself every other day to another storage somewhere.
    there comes a point with RPis when what you're spending on adapters and HATs and set up efforts that it's just worth paying a bit more for a real low end computer to run this stuff.

I would argue my opinion that you should only push your Pi great distances if you're after the experience of doing so rather than the end product.
    The cost of a second hand micro desktop or NUC off ebay can be had for a similar price so yes, I'm not going down the route of a rPi if I can get better price/performance elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post

This is quite accurate and I had a lot of discussions with a friend of mine that insists on using clusters of rPi for random stuffs, he just enjoys it so I dropped it. What he does can be done for cheaper and a lot more efficiently, but if he likes to have a room fan blowing on a stack of Pi-s which are doing h265 encoding then who am I to argue with that

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Good shout, I don't have a tv or console to worry about but I might do this to be extra-sure (or really because I have a metric ton of free time atm).

I'm also using pivpn so I can access my NAS as a drive outside the apartment, rather than relying on Plex or something for just remote access to the media. Feels like a proper network now.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.

My brother is asking about pi holes because he's eyeing a Samsung TV but wants to avoid the adverts

Is there an idiot-level walkthrough you could suggest? (The idiot is me)
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

My brother is asking about pi holes because he's eyeing a Samsung TV but wants to avoid the adverts

Assuming you can get a pi up and running in the first place, installing piHole is actually the easiest bit. The directions on their website are straightforward and it's not many steps to get the service running, the real trick is getting devices on the network to use it.

At the very least you'll need to be able to change your bro's router settings to give the pi an assigned ip address - this is usually not too hard but every router is a special snowflake so ymmv. If you're comfortable digging deeper into router settings, the next step is to tell the router to use the pi as the primary DNS for the whole network, if you're not, then you will at least need to be able to change the TV's network settings to use the pi as it's DNS.

Once that's done you're pretty much sorted, just run periodic updates on the pi and piHole software and enjoy a much better internet.

You can just block the urls in the routers firewall, worked fine for me.

I think the actual issue is getting used to SSH-ing into a headless install of Raspberry Pi. What I do is I "burn" a distro on the SD/MicroSD card and then on the boot partition create an empty file named ssh. At the same time you can edit the config.txt with start_x=0, gpu_mem=16. Basically this is to disable X booting and you don't need a GPU if you use it headless so it saves RAM.

Then you SSH into it with the user pi and password raspberry. (look into your router admin page to find what IP the Pi was given)

Pop in updates:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade
    sudo apt -y dist-upgrade

random configs sudo raspi-config

Install Pi-hole curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | sudo bash

More here.

Basically ensure that your Pi has a reserved IP on your network and that IP is put under primary DNS in your router internet configuration page.

That's pretty much it.

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Pihole built into SOHO routers when

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post

I think the actual issue is getting used to SSH-ing into a headless install of Raspberry Pi. What I do is I "burn" a distro on the SD/MicroSD card and then on the boot partition create an empty file named ssh. At the same time you can edit the config.txt with start_x=0, gpu_mem=16. Basically this is to disable X booting and you don't need a GPU if you use it headless so it saves RAM.

Then you SSH into it with the user pi and password raspberry. (look into your router admin page to find what IP the Pi was given)

Pop in updates:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade
    sudo apt -y dist-upgrade

More here.

Basically ensure that your Pi has a reserved IP on your network and that IP is put under primary DNS in your router internet configuration page.

That's pretty much it.
    There's a pi case with a small screen on it that costs about 27. And usb keyboards should work, no?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-T...9108514&sr=8-4
    Last edited by Malcanis; August 16 2021 at 11:09:26 AM.

Also, and again please excuse my ignorance, but what's the topology of the arrangement? The Pi seems to have only one Ethernet socket.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post

Pop in updates:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade
    sudo apt -y dist-upgrade

More here.

That's pretty much it.
    There's a pi case with a small screen on it that costs about 27. And usb keyboards should work, no?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-T...9108514&sr=8-4
    You don't really need that screen though if you read through my instructions again. You can make the Raspberry pi SSH-able just by creating a file on the SD card.

Also, and again please excuse my ignorance, but what's the topology of the arrangement? The Pi seems to have only one Ethernet socket.
    Topology is basically just connect the Pi to the router that hosts the LAN you want to be purged of ads. That same router should have its primary DNS set as the Pi's network address after you install and deploy pi-hole (e.g. you have your router as 192.168.0.1, then your Pi has let's say 192.168.0.184, then you should set the primary DNS on the router as 192.168.0.184. Ensure you restart the router after everything above just to make sure the changes stuck.
    Last edited by Cosmin; August 16 2021 at 01:16:20 PM.

Also ideally do reserve the IP for the Pi in the router or at least define it in the raspi config so it doesn't change on a router/pi reboot.

Edit: Malc, here you go https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=ssh...b=v71-1&ia=web
    Last edited by Cosmin; August 17 2021 at 11:45:15 AM.

As it is my brother who will be paying the extra 15 for a case with a screen, I'm more than happy to let it be so

As it is my brother who will be paying the extra 15 for a case with a screen, I'm more than happy to let it be so
    eh, the argument for going headless is that once the pi is set up, it'll likely live next to the router and not require any real further interaction aside from occasional updates, so the screen being used for like 0.1% of the pi's lifetime makes it kind of a waste. and if you install VNC you can still use a keyboard/mouse to do other things with it should the need arise, and that would have the benefit of being on a real monitor.

Send me rPi with screen, I send you rPi without screen.

But yeah, what Ruri said, the idea of running the Pi headless (without a screen) is because you would want it to live near the router and only do pihole business. On the other hand, there is a way of using Docker and do a lot more with the same Pi (I'm personally using a mk1 rPi for PiHole and a mk4 4GB Pi for "other things" albeit I have a different micro SD card for every "other thing" (e.g. pen testing playground is one, Kodi is another one and so on).

Apparently a family friend who is significantly more it-literate than me set his on pi hole up some time ago so I have delegated the task to him. Learning successfully avoided! OP success, etc.