hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2128293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: The Raspberry Pi Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post
    Glue?
    Problem is once you buy it, you are stuck with it.
    *bada dum tish*
    need me?, contact me on Discord (entrox#0001) or via e-mail (entrox@failheap-challenge.com).

Super Maderator DonorGlobal Moderator Hels's Avatar
    Ok, inquiring some vendors about getting a LVDS controller board to hook up my RasPi to an old LCD.

If things go well I will push further research into setting up my raspi. Only question is what do I use it for?

Think I forgot to post in here: I bought 2x Raspberri Pi, one for me and one for my father. My father is using it as a media center / turning a new-ish TV into a smart-TV. Ill be following that OS guide from sheffield university, then play a bit with it further on my own, and finally Ill find something silly yet cool thing to do with it... like writing some voice recognition program, that will analyse what you are saying to it, hooked up to a mechanical hand, that will give you the fuck finger if you swear at it... something like that.
    Amantus for mod 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016

Has anyone thought about streaming the alliance tournament through a Pi?

Open ELEC + twitch tv add-on = should be working p. well.

I'm setting it up atm to put it in my car, proceeding with testing atm
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

I went with Raspbmc, but the twitch TV plugin works fine (just couldn't find the stream before it went live).
    Now watchin' AT in 1080p.
    And the text is _still_ too small to read.

Raspbmc fails after update, trying v1.2.1 Noobs now and see what happens. OpenELEC doesn't want my wifi adapter, ordered some Edimax that seems to actually be working.

bumping this thread to say ive finally finished turning my pi into a fully-fledged multi-emulator. will post short tutorial if requested. it works via both HDMI and s-video (mine is hooked up via s-video and 3.5mm jack > scart on a CRT for authenticity), and supports four USB gamepads (although i only have 2 configured right now.). Everything is emulated at its intended speed (no slowdown seen so far) and plays the following systems; -

NES
    SNES
    Game Gear
    MegaDrive/Genesis
    Master System
    Atari 2600
    C64 (works, but my setup does not use a keyboard so useless)
    DOS
    Cave Story (native port)

and Intellivision is installed but not running as of yet.

All menus are navigateable by joypad from intial setup and with a little configging the entire thing is joypad controllable, no keyboard needed.

Roms are deposited on the base filesystem via WinSCP local network.

If you want to do this, the minimum SD card you need is 4GB and youll have 500MB free for ROMS, i personally will be getting a 32GB card as they're only 14 on amazon now and 16GB will house my entire collection of ROMS for those systems, but a 32GB with 16GB free space will have a far longer life, and im currently using an 8GB card which is easily capable of storing all the games i play the most until my 32GB card arrives.

This can all be set up in a few hours and i can upload a short video of how well mine works so you can see how good it works. (which ill do now)

cvideo converting ate the FPS (game runs at 60 locked, video is 24) and theres some video tearing. thats not the game, just WMM being shitty.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Neat mate, setup and costs?

tapa4
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    Neat mate, setup and costs?

tapa4
    fuck all. you will need the following; -

Generic USB gamepad (preferably 10 button. i use a logitech precision, is around a fiver)

A raspberry Pi

4GB minimum SD card (8gb+ recommended)

a usb keyboard

the ability to network the Pi (so you can use PuTTY and WinSCP to modify the pi over network, and deposit roms via network), so either a network cable or a WiFi Bridge (i use a Vonets WiFi bridge, just so its compeltely wireless). standard wifi dongles do not work well enough for this.

and a few hours to config everything up and copy the roms over.

*EDIT* and if you have the same joypad as me, i can just upload my configs and you wont even have to do that.
    Last edited by FooB; September 24 2013 at 10:48:04 AM.

Best Raspberry Pi Lego case evar:

bitches love my mad sed skills Donor tekai's Avatar
    It's not much, but I just wrote a small C program to controll mpd via one mouse button. single click to start/stop, double to go to next playlist entry. As I use it solely to listen to internet radio atm it saves me turning on the PC to ssh in and run mpd start etc.
    17:42 <QuackBot> Tekai, i have to say that you have autism.

Quote Originally Posted by tekai View Post
    It's not much, but I just wrote a small C program to controll mpd via one mouse button. single click to start/stop, double to go to next playlist entry. As I use it solely to listen to internet radio atm it saves me turning on the PC to ssh in and run mpd start etc.
    You can get multiple android apps to control MPD (no idea about iphone/ms). I use it to make my Pi into a headless music player for both streams and my music collection.

bitches love my mad sed skills Donor tekai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Renox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tekai View Post
    You can get multiple android apps to control MPD (no idea about iphone/ms). I use it to make my Pi into a headless music player for both streams and my music collection.
    Whats the fun in using a readymade solution? My problem was that I have no devices which can use wlan and I didn't want to invest in any hardware, so a mouse had to do.
    17:42 <QuackBot> Tekai, i have to say that you have autism.

So I've wanted a debian box for a while now for running a basic web server for development stuff and someone recommended I get one of these. Any reason it might not do what a proper linux box would do? I can install the same stuff on it vita apt-get that I would normally?

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    So I've wanted a debian box for a while now for running a basic web server for development stuff and someone recommended I get one of these. Any reason it might not do what a proper linux box would do? I can install the same stuff on it vita apt-get that I would normally?
    Pretty much. Just be warned it's very lightweight, particularly in the i/o department. The USB and Ethernet share the same bus, so server-like applications aren't great; it's ace as a smart client.

Why not just use AWS free tier for your dev stuff?

Its capable, it's just really slow. About p2/early p3 slow. So it will run stuff fine as long as you don't expect it to host Slashdot or something.

Tapaderpin
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Its capable, it's just really slow. About p2/early p3 slow. So it will run stuff fine as long as you don't expect it to host Slashdot or something.
    All I needed to know. It's on a lan so it's not like I need it to handle many requests. As long as it can actually properly support the software without wasting too much of my time making it work. No "oh well node.js only works on x86" I might be missing, although I'm googling it and it looks fine. I guess I always assumed these things were a little more specialized.

I think Imma order it with a little case from canakit tomorrow. Because I don't have any legos handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by FooB View Post
    *EDIT* and if you have the same joypad as me, i can just upload my configs and you wont even have to do that.
    Yes please. Would plusrep but tapatalk. Thank you.

iTap&talk.