hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: The Raspberry Pi Thread.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Madscotsman View Post
    I remember there was a thread before but it may have been SHC.

I'm very interested in one of these for messing with.

I wish they'd had stuff like this when I was at school. BBC Micro Model B was the epitome of personal computers when I was at school. Cut my teeth on BBC Basic and 6502 assembly.
    BBC Micro Model B
    BBC
    Fooking hell. Radio, TV, and now computers? They might as well just run the government over there.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

It's not that unsurprising. The BBC have mandates for education and technological innovation. Put in the context of the day, next to organisations like the GPO, the BBC's all-encompassing reach was positively liberal.

If it weren't for the BBC's investment in computing the world of mobile phones would look a hell of a lot different from what it does today. The BBC Micro was built under contract by Acorn, and the business it generated led directly to the Acorn Reduced instruction set computer Machine: ARM. The ARM architecture (renamed advanced risc machine once acorn went under) lives inside and drives all but a handful of mobile devices and tablets sold today, it even powers the RasPi! I had the pleasure of being lectured by Steve Furber (its co-architect, along with Sophie Wilson) for my Mobile Systems module last year. Brilliant man.
    Last edited by elmicker; November 29 2011 at 02:32:44 AM.

Correction: ARM became Advanced RISC Machines when the company was spun off from Acorn as a joint venture between Acorn and Apple.

I'd love to get one of these and install at my parents place. My dad still mostly reads news on teletext, which baffles both me and my mom. This one is lightweight enough to be just tucked behind the TV, hooked up and together with the Rii keyboard linked earlier, would be perfect. I wonder however how good the flash performance will be in the final version.
    nevar forget

Pretty interesting that with this going on BBC have started doing news stories on such things as the lack of knowledge in schools about programming.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15952227
    Nice little quiz that someone put together too.

It's been in the news for a few months now, since Eric Schmidt's MacTaggart lecture [full text in August.

There's been slow but sure progress on it in the last few years. Primary schools have never stopped playing with LOGO, so computing exists there, and Clare Short gave Computing its own A-level in 2006(i think), so as it stands now, with schools all fully geared up with multiple IT suites, the only thing that stands in the way of a full age 8-18 computing program are the lack of KS3 syllabus, lack of teachers capable of doing it, and lack of schools willing to implement it.

Even if that is overcome, the problems still come up at the university level. If you asked a university, right now, whether they would rather their engineering students all had double the amount of maths education or a subject's worth of computing, every single one of them will say maths. Once computing is brought back into schools, the standards, particularly at the top end in the A level, need to be really brought up to get unis on board.

r-pi B board + XBMC = cheap fucking HTPC win

with the monies saved from not having to build a HTPC, I can buy a drobo to stream from.

Edit: Also...they got the beta PCBs today.
    Last edited by Fuggin; December 2 2011 at 01:50:26 AM.
    <&QuackBot> Fuggin: There once was a man named tugginfuggin. He oft tugged his fuggin. That is the tale of tugginfuggin.

PBC boards are now for sale, no?

edit: http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/r...5-pcs-2011121/
    100 beta boards

Quote Originally Posted by mqoca View Post
    PBC boards are now for sale, no?

edit: http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/r...5-pcs-2011121/
    100 beta boards
    They are going to be auctioned off once they are assembled and tested...so..no...not for sale for $25 yet.
    <&QuackBot> Fuggin: There once was a man named tugginfuggin. He oft tugged his fuggin. That is the tale of tugginfuggin.

Brain fart, yeah it was literally the post before mine that mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Madscotsman View Post
    I remember there was a thread before but it may have been SHC.

I'm very interested in one of these for messing with.

I wish they'd had stuff like this when I was at school. BBC Micro Model B was the epitome of personal computers when I was at school. Cut my teeth on BBC Basic and 6502 assembly.
    BBC Micro Model B
    BBC
    Fooking hell. Radio, TV, and now computers? They might as well just run the government over there.
    They made the computer, programing language and a book to tie in with a TV programme to improve computer literacy.

It worked too. I think everyone around my age in Britain knows how to type 10 PRINT "BOOBIES" 20 GOTO 10

It was an awesome bit of kit.

It's funny someone mentioned Teletext because that was authored on the BBC.
    Last edited by spm1138; December 2 2011 at 08:43:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuggin View Post

with the monies saved from not having to build a HTPC, I can buy a drobo to stream from.

look at you copying me
    need me?, contact me on IRC or via PM

Quote Originally Posted by EntroX View Post

look at you copying me
    look at you posting posting

Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post

look at you copying me
    look at you posting posting
    look at you posting posting posting
    need me?, contact me on IRC or via PM

look at you copying me
    Like you are the only person jailbreaking apple tv and installing xbmc You get credit for giving me the idea.
    Last edited by Fuggin; December 2 2011 at 10:34:04 AM.

The BBC helping to stoke the fires a little.

Things look to be on course for taking orders come January. I know what I'll be getting for my birthday

Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    The BBC helping to stoke the fires a little.

Things look to be on course for taking orders come January. I know what I'll be getting for my birthday
    Every time the beeb do a piece on Rasberry Pi, I get the impression that the guy writing it is genuinely happy that the BBC micro project is being carried on in spirit.

I gotta say, the enthusiasm around the project is infectious.
    Last edited by killfalcon; December 24 2011 at 06:26:40 PM.

May seriously have to consider learning to program so that I can use a couple of these things.. The potential is amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    May seriously have to consider learning to program so that I can use a couple of these things.. The potential is amazing
    Me too. While I'm usually morally opposed to anything involving :effort: there is so much shit I now want to accomplish with one of these little boards.

Current projects being considered by myself:

• A small media PC installed inside a Necron Monolith, which also drives lights & audio of the Monolith whenever it is moved around the table. I was going to use an arduino to drive all of that originally but I might as well upgrade to a PC I can take anywhere...
    • The brain of an outdoor IR camera network tied into it's own solar charging grid that can be monitored wirelessly. Will eventually include remote-triggered IR spots for each camera.
    • Media PC again, but tied to a multi-colour LED equalizer bar spread across the wall of my bedroom.
    • Simplest project: take-anywhere PC in an Altoids tin, with another tin hosting a rechargeable lithium power pack.
    • EDIT: Oh, and I need one in a nice little ornamental box for my parents bedroom, to tie to dad's 40" LCD so he can get net TV
    Last edited by Sparq; December 25 2011 at 04:10:27 AM.

I just want a few for UAV and UGV brains.