hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 764

Thread: The Raspberry Pi Thread.

  1. #21

    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    2,351
    I'm definitely going to get a couple of these, one to act as a silent download box, the other to stick a bluetooth adapter on and turn into a media streamer.

  2. #22
    Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Mails Tegg > пошел ты на хуй
    Posts
    4,734
    Does bluetooth even have enough bandwidth to stream anything decent?

  3. #23
    Movember 2012
    Join Date
    May 22, 2011
    Posts
    447
    One for me, please

  4. #24

    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    2,351
    Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post
    Does bluetooth even have enough bandwidth to stream anything decent?
    It's for a bluetooth remote.

  5. #25
    Im at work so i cant link, but search dealextreme or amazon for 'Rii'. That thing is fucking spot on perfect for the raspi.

    as for whoever was wondering about GPIO headers, go to the website and the latest news post is llisting all the pins and is generally just an entire post explaining GPIO on the raspi

  6. #26

    Join Date
    September 13, 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    857
    looks like cheap zero clients for me. might consider if they come out at that price.

  7. #27
    Movember 2012
    Join Date
    May 22, 2011
    Posts
    447
    Wearable computer, here I come. Now I just need to hack together a TFT LCD with the right connectors off of ebay for a couple bucks more, and decide on an input scheme (I'm thinking ring mouse + foldable keyboard)

  8. #28

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by FooB View Post
    as for whoever was wondering about GPIO headers, go to the website and the latest news post is llisting all the pins and is generally just an entire post explaining GPIO on the raspi
    that was me,

    We will not be making the boards with pins in place, in order to shave some cost off the build; you’ll have to solder them on yourself.
    damnitsomuch.

  9. #29
    Moderator Moderator Ryas Nia's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by fffuuu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FooB View Post
    as for whoever was wondering about GPIO headers, go to the website and the latest news post is llisting all the pins and is generally just an entire post explaining GPIO on the raspi
    that was me,

    We will not be making the boards with pins in place, in order to shave some cost off the build; you’ll have to solder them on yourself.
    damnitsomuch.
    that wont be hard and the headers are cheap just do it, it will take maybe 10min because you need to let the iron heat up.

    Quote Originally Posted by High Sierra
    HERE! YOU'VE TAKEN EVERYTHING ELSE! TAKE MY PANTS!

  10. #30

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Chichester, UK
    Posts
    1,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryas Nia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fffuuu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FooB View Post
    as for whoever was wondering about GPIO headers, go to the website and the latest news post is llisting all the pins and is generally just an entire post explaining GPIO on the raspi
    that was me,

    We will not be making the boards with pins in place, in order to shave some cost off the build; you’ll have to solder them on yourself.
    damnitsomuch.
    that wont be hard and the headers are cheap just do it, it will take maybe 10min because you need to let the iron heat up.
    You dont understand some of us are completely inept neckbeards. I'm not talking about me, the other people... >.>

  11. #31

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    5,185
    I think it makes the board an even better prospect for kids. Aside from the small risk of overheating a critical component when soldering, shipping the board incomplete is a great plus. What's more fun, plugging a bit of plastic over some pre-soldered pins, or breaking out the soldering iron and solder and all the fun that entails and doing the job yourself?

  12. #32
    NoirAvlaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Liverpool, laaaa
    Posts
    4,157
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    I think it makes the board an even better prospect for kids. Aside from the small risk of overheating a critical component when soldering, shipping the board incomplete is a great plus. What's more fun, plugging a bit of plastic over some pre-soldered pins, or breaking out the soldering iron and solder and all the fun that entails and doing the job yourself?
    This. This product now entails 100% education out of the box. Compare it to buying all the parts separately for a tower computer and putting it together, except for now it's 22 instead of 500.

    Fully looking forwards to picking up a couple of these myself

  13. #33
    Helen's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,172
    Why have I only just heard of this, its amazing and they are right kids these are taught to use existing software and not really give two fucks what is in the box.
    When I grew up I remember fondly stripping my first computer (c64) and poking it, these days if you caught a kid poking around a 500 + computer you'd knock their head.
    I can't see how this will go wrong to be honest the non educational sector will probably go nuts for these I know I want one :3

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    Why have I only just heard of this, its amazing and they are right kids these are taught to use existing software and not really give two fucks what is in the box.
    When I grew up I remember fondly stripping my first computer (c64) and poking it, these days if you caught a kid poking around a 500 + computer you'd knock their head.
    I can't see how this will go wrong to be honest the non educational sector will probably go nuts for these I know I want one :3
    The first run of 10,000 units (and 99% confirmed the second run of 10k) has been specifically kept back for sale to the "hacker/tinkerer" community instead of going straight to schools simply due to the overwhelming demand for them, and to give the developers a chance to write some basic software for it in time for the kids to have a basically useable system incase they just need a cheap home PC above all else. Its not so much the sheer number of people wanting one, but the sheer number of people wanting 5 or fucking 6 at once. Assuming its not "one per customer" (which it pretty much must be), at the very LEAST i'll be getting myself a model A and B, which the intention of two more B on top of that if there is simply enough to buy.

  15. #35
    Aurora148's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,723
    If you buy one personally it will be 22, but with the clusterfuck that is education procurement they will probably end up costing councils like 220 once the middle men get their cut.

    There is also the fact most non-computing studies teachers in this country are utter luddites who couldn't work one of these things if their life depended on it, let alone teach children how to use it.

    I'll probably get one for myself, but I'm very wary that this will change anything at all in education for the foreseeable future.

  16. #36

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    5,185
    Most schools won't be able to pull it off that quickly anyway. While they've certainly got the gear, and probably the time and money, finding staff qualified to teach computing would be a nightmare, and that's assuming they can put together proper syllabuses appropriate for the environment. I'd love to see the foundation use their partnership with Cambridge to put together a set of accessible syllabuses that can be taught by anyone tech-savvy with online resources and suchlike, in Python perhaps.

    Until then there's always Khan Academy.

  17. #37
    Moderator Moderator Ryas Nia's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    598
    i really want to pair this with a touch screen and stick android on it for a car computer

    Quote Originally Posted by High Sierra
    HERE! YOU'VE TAKEN EVERYTHING ELSE! TAKE MY PANTS!

  18. #38
    the foundation is a not for profit charity and afaik the idea is that for every machine purchased at full RRP, that pays for two units, one of which gets donated to a school/student. Theyve already stated the cost to schools for these units is a little less than half price RRP (i think 9 for model A and 13-14 for B).

    Also, the basic OS they will be packaging on the optional SD Cards (and obviously available for download for free for those who supply their own) will include PyGame and related materials so any kid with one can learn in thier own time, school or not. The people that build this realise they only got in the game beacause they started programming at 10 years old, fascinated by the prospect of building the games they played so religiously. As was put on the forums, a kid isnt gonna start out wanting to code his own printer driver, but wanting to make the next Angry Birds.

  19. #39

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    5,185
    I've also been giving their twitter a trawl. They're in the process of developing a no-experience-necessary syallabus with these guys, who are backed by BCS. They're planning a targeted launch for education next year.

    It seems they've dropped the buy-one-donate-one only restriction in favour of a one-per-customer restriction, though.
    Last edited by elmicker; November 28 2011 at 09:47:31 PM.

  20. #40
    מלך יהודים Zeekar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    14,513
    Seriously tempted to buy one or two of these and make a htpc for the living room and one to play a bit with. Its just so god damn cheap.


    

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •