hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3037383940
Results 781 to 792 of 792

Thread: The Raspberry Pi Thread.

  1. #781
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,734
    Spot on with the beard
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  2. #782
    Kerdrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5, 2013
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    911
    Improvement is substantial on certain aspects like connectivity:
    https://medium.com/@ghalfacree/bench...4-73e5afbcd54b

    After this changes I think this could replace desktops in some scenarios, like schools or libraries, for sure.

  3. #783
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    10,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdrak View Post
    Improvement is substantial on certain aspects like connectivity:
    https://medium.com/@ghalfacree/bench...4-73e5afbcd54b

    After this changes I think this could replace desktops in some scenarios, like schools or libraries, for sure.
    Would it be cheaper to replace existing desktops with RPi, or keep them and install VMWare clients with a few ESXi servers?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

  4. #784
    Kerdrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5, 2013
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdrak View Post
    Improvement is substantial on certain aspects like connectivity:
    https://medium.com/@ghalfacree/bench...4-73e5afbcd54b

    After this changes I think this could replace desktops in some scenarios, like schools or libraries, for sure.
    Would it be cheaper to replace existing desktops with RPi, or keep them and install VMWare clients with a few ESXi servers?
    Probably cheaper with vmware, but on the long term maybe RPi are more power efficient and easy to replace/maintain?

  5. #785
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,734
    Finally managed to get some time to do a PiHole out of a 1st gen rPi and I have to say it's fantastic.

    Apparently it can block Windows Telemetry as well as unwanted Windows updates
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  6. #786
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    16,507
    Whatever challenges I face learning Linux, I am at least grateful that I don't have to treat the OS as actual malware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

  7. #787
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,734
    Since there is quite disjointed information around the internets about the rPi specs, I compiled them in a google docs sheet. Please PM for corrections or if you feel I need to add anything.

    Link.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  8. #788

    Join Date
    November 4, 2012
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Since there is quite disjointed information around the internets about the rPi specs, I compiled them in a google docs sheet. Please PM for corrections or if you feel I need to add anything.

    Link.
    Nice one Cosmin . You might also be interested in running your pi-hole unbound especially with all the 'funky' DNS issues that have occurred over the last year or so. I've been running it and whilst the first time you visit a domain does take a couple of 0.1 seconds more after that it just uses the cache.

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

  9. #789
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,734
    How do you mean "unbound"?

    Thank you!
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  10. #790

    Join Date
    November 4, 2012
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    How do you mean "unbound"?

    Thank you!
    Basically turns your pi-hole into a DNS server just for you .

    https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/unbound/

    Nice guide here too: https://medium.com/@puhuresi/how-to-...e-285456141ed3

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

  11. #791
    Cosmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14, 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,734
    Can you explain more for the layman on how this differs from using pi-hole with Cloudflare DNS as described in their tutorial for example?
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

  12. #792

    Join Date
    November 4, 2012
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Can you explain more for the layman on how this differs from using pi-hole with Cloudflare DNS as described in their tutorial for example?
    https://pi-hole.net/2018/06/09/ftldn...-dns-solution/

    Hopefully that answers any questions .

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •