hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setup Research POS : Waht do?

Setup Research POS : Waht do?

A few questions for an invention noob.
    1. Is this thread still good advice?
    2. How about this one?
    3. How do you stop ppl making off with stuff?
    4. What's a typical lowsec research POS setup look like? Medium Caldari with 3 labs and 2 advanced labs?
    Last edited by Sponk; November 24 2011 at 12:52:26 AM.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Both of those threads remain relevant; the mechanics haven't changed at all since they were written. However, you should put it in highsec unless you have a particularly compelling reason for wanting it in lowsec and you have a JF or are willing to pay Black Frog to truck your fuel around. I stop people making off with stuff by conducting all my industrial activities in my one-man altcorp. I'd be wary of using a medium POS with five labs anywhere, tbh - seems like a very soft target and I think someone would knock it over sooner rather than later.

I figured lowsec to avoid standings requirements.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    I figured lowsec to avoid standings requirements.
    Blitzing level 1 missions for the storylines is an easy way to raise standings. I don't know anything about the epic arks, but I've heard they offer large standings boosts as well.

Not in a 1-man corp and my CEO may be resistant to kicking 95% of the corp to raise the average standings high enough. Seems a bit paranoid, too. Perhaps they encountered Marlona recently...

Not in a 1-man corp and my CEO may be resistant to kicking 95% of the corp to raise the average standings high enough. Seems a bit paranoid, too. Perhaps they encountered Marlona recently...
    Buy a corp with the standings pre-established? Couldn't be that much money. If you're in an alliance you could pay the 2mil a month and get it pulled in. If you're just in a corp it becomes a trifle harder. In an alliance you'd be able to setup a station in your main corp and do ME / PE research (assuming it doesn't require materials). You'd have to be in the POS corp to do Invention / Copying, but either can easily be found in free slots in empire.

Do it with an alt corp in highsec or you're grieving yourself.

At that point you can use any of the corp creation services, I think there's some free ones even.
    Long lasting scrapheap member, but I don't want to be known non poor

If it is going to be a invention POS and people actually trained science skills on their FIS char...... ah pain in the ass.

Might be possible to get the CEO's standings up quickly, if you knew how, though.

Standings for the POS are easy if you have ISK to throw at it. PM me if you want a detailed walkthrough of how to buy faction standings for ISK.

The size of the POS really depends on how much you want to work it. And how heavily you want to defend it.

I was producing, from T1 copies into finished product, 3000 t2 med drones(hammers or valks depending on market) from a highsec caldari medium weekly, which had 32 ECM as defense.
    Last edited by Xarthaginian; November 26 2011 at 09:45:22 PM.
    Victory!
    Battle: Himmelsdorf 12 August 2011 20:21:48
    Vehicle: BT-2
    Experience received: 4,760
    Credits received: 7,831

Like a boss!

HEY LOOK AT ME I HAVE A TITAN LordsServant's Avatar
    I actually have such a hisec alt corp. 2 actually, from when I did this stuff. They still have standings. I can sell you one or both cheapish if u want.....

-Lords

I am a Lamborghini tractor.

Find quiet lowsec system 1 jump from highsec (plenty of these around, use dotlan to figure out traffic patterns in lowsec). Plop down small tower (cheap), add 3 labs, apply fuel, online, get BPOs to the station in system with a covops (or covops hauler), start research jobs, profit. As lowsecs do not have bubbles, covops and covop haulers are effectively invulnerable unless you do something monumentally stupid. If paranoid/moving VERY high value BPOs, scout with another account to be 100% sure you are not jumping into a 100 man ball of ships that decloak your ship before it completes align to warp

If anyone cares about your tower enough to kill it, it is dead no matter how big or well armed it is, so best go with as skimpy setup as needed. Upgrade to med or large tower with more labs if you have multiple chars and need lot of research/copy jobs done.

In general there is no value in popping a research POS as the modules inside never have anything in them (the blueprints are at the local station), so unless you piss someone off enough for them to grief you, nobody is going to touch the POS anyway.

To what Jarnis said, I'll add, fit a ton of ECM and points on it, just to discourage people.

In general there is no value in popping a research POS as the modules inside never have anything in them (the blueprints are at the local station), so unless you piss someone off enough for them to grief you, nobody is going to touch the POS anyway.
    This is true, except that people are idiots. Last year we popped a small research tower in a lowsec station system (local smack and a desire from two corpmates to "test their dreads" overcame boredom and caution). Imagine my surprise when I repackaged the labs and a hurricane bpo dropped out.

While low sec will bypass the whole standings issue, there's something to be said for High sec research POS's. Nothing like having Concord as back up security. There are a ton of services that will adjust your corp standings for reasonable prices. Or, check around with previous corp/alliance mates that may have high standings. Should be able to work out a deal with them.

Make sure that there is a station in the system. Open a corp office. Your bpo's should never leave the station. (That is regardless of low or high sec)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dant View Post
    To what Jarnis said, I'll add, fit a ton of ECM and points on it, just to discourage people.

This is true, except that people are idiots. Last year we popped a small research tower in a lowsec station system (local smack and a desire from two corpmates to "test their dreads" overcame boredom and caution). Imagine my surprise when I repackaged the labs and a hurricane bpo dropped out.
    Warp disruptors and ECM jammers without any guns is "cruel and unusual punishment" (of forcing someone to slowboat out of range).

Add web to really piss of whoever strays to the POS and hangs around.

However, all those eat up CPU, cutting down number of labs you can plop down. In general; guns = powergrid, other offensive modules = PG *and* CPU, all productive stuff (reaction stuff, labs) = CPU.

Also note that no matter what some guides may say, 0.4 systems work for research POSes. It used to be that 0.4 was like 0.5 but without concord. This has not been true for a while. So no need to have charters or standings. It is exactly like 0.3 and lower except no moon mining or reacting.

And since there is no moon mining or reacting, 98% or something of 0.4 moons are empty...

Just going to repeat what I put in the other thread.

BUY A CORP.

ANCHOR IN HIGHSEC.

Do NOT anchor a reasearch POS in low sec (especially if you are doing invention where the output and al your datacores are stored in/output to the POS). The profitability on these is low enough that you can't afford to have anything but labs onlined most of the time, and in low sec you won't be able to rely on war-dec advance warning to online your weapons.

You also don't have to worry about caps in high sec, which means that a medium caldari tower with a handful of jammers will be so unappetizing for almost any enemy that you are pretty much guranteed to not have people come at it.

Seriously if I found a research POS in low sec I would reinforce it every other day.

A purchased corp costs 80-100 mil. Considering that a research POS is ~a 1-5 billion ISK investment I would consider the cost of the corp negligible (although it is not recoverable, unless you sell the corp with the anchored POS later on).

Just make sure you already have a handful of good spots scouted out before you buy it. What you want for a good spot is cheap corp offices in system, being nearby a major hub, and, if you're really on the ball, open manufacturing and invention slots.

Edit:
    There is a good podcast episode that just came out that talks about research POS's. I think it's the "ISK" podcast.
    Last edited by Hellkyte; December 1 2011 at 04:21:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    They laughed at Einstein. They laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the clown.

I did this for a while.

The most effort I had was running back and fourth to jita in a freighter. Once a week to get enough materials to manufacture. It was quite good I had a nice gig going but it got very boring. You can micromanage loads to improve output. I self regulated myself to dioing things before work and after I got home. Takes about a month to start generating good amount of profit. I even splerged on advanced labs!

I now have more 1200mm and 1400mm artillery than I know what to do with

I now have more 1200mm and 1400mm artillery than I know what to do with
    Make tornados!

Has there been any changes to this in the past 12 months since my last post? I took a year off and will need to start making isk again before resubbing xarth. As I recall they were talking about making private research slots rentable to outside alliance capsuleers. Did this or anything else actually happen?
    Victory!
    Battle: Himmelsdorf 12 August 2011 20:21:48
    Vehicle: BT-2
    Experience received: 4,760
    Credits received: 7,831

Like a boss!

Nope.
    "We need less dakka dakka!" -No one. Ever.