hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The great tanks in WoT by tier

The great tanks in WoT by tier

Yes it's that time again, bestest lists.

You can't go wrong with any of the following tanks. If these aren't working for you, then you're doing something wrong and should change your driving style, ask advice, or something. These are tanks you should try out and keep in your garage forever!

They are not the only good tanks in their tier, but they offer something more then the rest.

Tier1
    1. T1 Cunningham, simply because it's the fastest, ergo it's the only one used for tourny's when you need a 1pt scout.

Tier2
    1. Bison, 228mm penetration (gold) and 300dmg makes it hit way above its weight class for a 2pt vehicle in tournaments. For randoms without gold it still hits way harder then counterparts, but apart from SU-26 with it's one unique feature, there's not much reason to bother with low tier arty at all, outside tournaments.
    2. M2 Light, again it's the fastest, with good view range and radio range, meaning it's the weapon of choice for tournaments again. And it owns in newb tier random fights to boot.
    3. T18, 75mm derp at tier 2, imba armor, decent mobility for TD. OP for randoms.

Tier3
    1. SU-26. The only arty with a rotating turret, which really does matter. Bit low on damage but can still one-shot small tanks on occasion. Good rof.
    2. Marder II. 460m view range, by far the best gun in tier, great camo, more OP for its tier then any other tank in WoT. Can kill KV's before they get close enough to see it.
    3. T82. 105mm derp at tier 3, mounted on an unarmored jeep disguised as a tank.

Tier4
    1. T-28. 85mm kabloom goodness, or 57mm rapid fire sniping. But no armor and large size make it at times difficult to use.
    2. T-50. T-50-2's little brother, twice as agile as any competitor, fast, but gun leaves something to be desired.
    3. M5 Stuart. Fast, reasonably agile, 420m view range, decent camo, and 75mm mini derp, combine to make it the most fun tier 4 light tank. Some would pick T-50 instead, but M5 is more versatile and better gun.
    4. T40. The Marder of tier 4, but with a choice of 105mm derp goodness and conventional AP gun, 460m view range, combined with widest horizontal arc of any turretless TD, meaning you can even brawl with it around house corners if you want. The high arc of the derp gun shells give a limited ability to lob shots over some obstacles, but the slow speed of the shots also make it hard to hit moving targets at a distance

Tier5
    1. KV. Choice of 152mm derp or the legendary (in WoT) 107mm Zis gun, it has no equal in its tier.
    2. T-50-2. The most agile tank in all of WoT, that defies even the make-believe physics of an arcade computer game. The only tier 5 to be used in CW with any amount of success. The other tier 5 lights are great in randoms too, in different ways, but only one holds its utility even against all max tier lineups.
    3. T-34. 57mm lazor gun returns, with decent mobility, view range and camo, combine to make T-34 a great allrounder. You can snipe, you can bush-scout, you can circlestrafe, you can wolfpack. You won't be the best at any one task, but you can do it all in one tank.
    4. SU-85. 107mm Zis in an improved version, on a fast, stealthy, but unarmored and half blind, chassis. This gun has no equal until tier 7 tank destroyers.
    5. Pz4. Bit more penetration and damage then Soviet 57mm, on a turret that can bounce quite a bit, and slightly better viewrange then T-34, makes it the best sniper of tier 5 (after Stug).
    6. M4 Sherman. Derp goodness with impossible gun depression and decent mobility make this an excellent hillfighter that will piss off even the larger heavies many tiers above it.

Tier6
    1. SU-14. The first arty with an actual bang. You hit something, they *will* feel it. Faster aim (less dispersion from movement actually), faster reload and more ammo then S-51.
    2. KV-3. When fighting same and lower tiers, it can bounce most of what's thrown at it, and it has the choice between 107mm and 122mm guns. But oh so slow. Which is why some argue that when facing higher tiers the armor does no good and you're better off in the faster more agile KV-1S instead, armed with the same 122mm gun. I don't agree.
    3. GW-Panther. 2nd most accurate arty in the game, decent dmg, good rof, good horizontal arc, excellent view range and mobility.
    4. VK3601H. Sturdier then other mediums, faster then heavies, and don't listen to the detractors, the 88mm is a great gun for this tier and class. If you mount the Konisch and fire gold, it's imba as a sniper.
    5. M4A3E2, or Jumbo. The medium that bounces almost everything from the front. But not very fast and guns don't really cut it at this tier anymore.

Tier7
    1. Obj.212 / M40/43. Like SU-14, only better. Yank and commie have only minor differences.
    2. IS. The heavy that thought it was a medium, only was packing a really big gun. If you can't use mobility to your advantage, this tank isn't for you, but if you can, you'll find good tiems with it.
    3. T-43. Unspectacular really, but somehow still works very well. It's what the T-34-85 wanted to be. But you will learn to appreciate the difference between 2s and 3s aim times, as you wait and wait and wait for the circle to shrink.
    4. Tiger(P). The tank you have to turret up in, as opposed to hull down. Very strong hull armor for its tier, somewhat let down by weak turret armor. With the long 88mm, an excellent long range sniper that can bounce shots even from the big boys (when they miss your turret).
    5. JagdPanther. Fast, a bit of armor, accurate, good damage and penetration. The gun makes you shed tears of joy after living through the pain that is short 88mm mounted on its two predecessors.
    6. T29. Owns its tier. Excellent medium range gun (pen+dmg) combined with good gun depression and extremely strong mantle plate armor, sets this heavy at the top of the tier 7 ladder.
    7. T20. People praise it, I know nothing about it, sorry. Be back in a month or so when I've got and elited it.
    8. T25 AT. The medium without a turret. Faster and more agile then JPanty with a very similar gun (less accurate) makes this a joy to drive for those who like to zoomzoom around the battlefield, but also bring a big, high power gun with them.

Tier8
    1. Arty all have their strengths, that the other two can't duplicate, not possible to single any one out or leave any one behind.
    2. The heavies are all great, but VK45A will disappoint some people, as it relies on mobility to a much higher degree, thus lacking in armor, and not everyone likes that.
    3. The mediums, well, factoring in the upcoming LB-1 for T-44, you can't really go wrong with any of them. T-44 is the fastest, most agile and stealthiest, but lacks penetration and gun depression. Panther2 is the most accurate with the best penetration on either of its guns, so it takes the sniper award, but lacks brawling prowess. Pershing has the best viewrange, gun depression and DpM, excelling at hill-fighting but slower then T-44 and not the sniper Panther2 is.
    4. ISU-152. The mother of all guns makes its first appearance. 286mm penetration with 750 damage per shot, what more could anyone ask for?
    5. Ferdinand. "I am Ferdinand, destroyer of worlds", as said by noted forum persona Stormscion. Accuracy, that's what the ISU could ask for. And armor, the likes of which others in its tier can only dream of. If you keep your target in front of you, hopefully at some distance, you will lay waste to it, whatever it is. Let it to your side, back, or above you, and you're screwed.
    6. T28. The only thing T28 offers that Ferdinand does not, is becoming the hull armor of T32/T34/T30. The slug train of T28 in front and T32/34/30 humping it from behind, shooting over it, so that enemies are faced with the very tough hull armor of the T28 or the very tough turret armor of the heavy, face two guns for one tank profile worth of target. This combo is very situational and mostly of comedy value.

Tier9
    1. At this tier, there are no longer any crap tanks, meaning no tanks where you would always be better off with another one instead (well just one). Obj.704 perhaps a candidate for least useful since its nerf, but fun factor of 750dmg shells without the crippling lack of mobility of the T95, mustn't be forgotten.
    2. Heavies are all good, although clearly E-75 reigns at the moment, with IS-4 trailing behind and T34 even more so, with average drivers mostly suffering in T34. The exception is VK45B, a tank now forgotten (I even forgot it when making this list), because E-75 does everything better then it does.
    3. Mediums all good again, but different applications. Much like tier 8 meds, T-54 is the smallest fastest most agile, but lacking in armament, most used medium in CW. Patton has the view range, gun depression, now combined with a turret that bounces some of what's thrown at it, and DpM king to boot. Sometimes used in CW for its 480m view range and DpM. E-50, well, it's a rocket powered KingTiger with a superior gun, excelling at sniping but by no means limited to that role, arguably the best for randoms by virtue of it's accurate guns, acceleration and armor, but very rarely used in CW.

Tier10
    They're all great. They all have their problems too. E100 has taken over most of the T30's role in CW, where gold ammo is common.
    Last edited by Qui Shon; November 17 2011 at 10:23:38 AM.
    WoT: Mike_Hammer
    Tanks are like Pokemon, gotta collect 'em all.....

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Donor
    Pretty much agree with the list, although I'm no expert, but no MS-1 at Tier 1? That thing is great with the big gun!

Meh, best tier V = Chaffee.
    Owns any tier V, VI, VII, VIII.

I'd add best sniper for it's tier and can put a lot of hurt from range for the PZIV, Wolverine is also a friggin hole maker with the 20rpm gun with decent pen/acuracy but yea it's a boat.
    English Langage management 4/5

If your final version doesn't include the Pershing there will be riots.

I would argue S-51 is better than Su14 when tracers were in game. being able to relocate quickly... was important. So you wernt doing max dps due to having to relocate, so the faster reload was moot.

world of tanks derp gun world of tanks derp gun world of tanks derp gun

PzIII for T4 hilarity. I have had so much fun in that tank, it is very like the leo but not quite as bouncy and doesn't get screwed on the matchmaking.

T7, Ferdinand for its lol-front-plate. T20 and Panther are both quite good too but the 7.5 L/100 is so damn weak. SU-152 for derpness, T29 for that mantle and the 105. T25 AT for being quick, bouncy and its 105 (also the last half decent american TD).

T8, Tiger II (KT). Panther II. T-44 used to be fun but has a horribly underpowered gun (although thats soon to be fixed) and it far outclassed by the Type-59 now, ISU + BL-10 nuffsaid. Object 261 for LOIC, T92 for tactical nukes.

T9, E-75. T-54 for dinking way to many high pen shots off the front. E-50 for putting T-54s in their place. T34 is nice with the 120 but really needs to get hulldown and turret forwards or it will get rolled, IS-4 has a weak front plate too but the S-70 is very sexy. Patton is nice for spewing DPM but cant stand upto any punishment like the other two (kind of) can.

T10, IS-7 medium, Maus/E-100 heavies, T30 TD.

Maus vs E-100, E has the edge I think, turret rotation isnt as slow and tank is slightly faster so can push easier, doesnt have all the weak points on the front like the maus does. Thats just imo though.

IS-4, T110E5, T-54, E-50, IS-8, M103, T34, Type 59, M26 Pershing, AMX 13 90, KV-3, SU-122-44, AMX AC Mle. 1946, SU-101, T20, T71, T25/2, KV-1S, T21, Jgdpzr IV, Sherman E8, GW Panther, AMX 12t, M18, Stug III, T-50-2, T-34, PzIV, ELC AMX, Crusader, Covenanter, SU-26, T1, RenaultFT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Marram View Post
    T7, Ferdinand for its lol-front-plate.
    Ferdi is t8 fyi

otherwise I agree with rest of yours and Mike's posts, except for S-51 v SU-14. The added mobility of the S-51 is a nice advantage over the SU-14, and means you can pretty much use it as a (very fragile) TD on city maps. I don't find the low ammo a problem unless I'm trigger happy. But then they're good in their own ways v0v
    WoT: Area

Pershing - Is fully sick
    Ferdi - Is also fully sick
    Tiger II - Is pretty sick, looks fully sick
    IS - dat 122, Is fully sick

The 12.8cm ferdi gun needs its own category, before you get that the ferdi is shit. After it you make mad coin even with out prem, and it smashes shit.
    Is also fully sick.

e-
    Jagpanther - Fast and long 88, 105 isant bad either, looks cool. Is cool
    Last edited by ctrlchris; November 16 2011 at 11:04:01 AM.

Your posting is medium, its not rare and its not well done
    - Krans 26/7/12

Quote Originally Posted by Madscotsman View Post
    Pretty much agree with the list, although I'm no expert, but no MS-1 at Tier 1? That thing is great with the big gun!
    Yea, but aren't the days of tier1 noobhunting over for the most part now, with how the MM works these days? And why wouldn't you go with M2 light, AT-1, PzJg1 or something instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Jindo Minian View Post
    Meh, best tier V = Chaffee.
    Owns any tier V, VI, VII, VIII.
    I'll have to take your word for it, I'm 3k from it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Skraeling View Post
    I would argue S-51 is better than Su14 when tracers were in game. being able to relocate quickly... was important. So you wernt doing max dps due to having to relocate, so the faster reload was moot.
    Yeah there was that. I've some 450 games in S-51 beta+release and some 250 in SU-14. Imo even back then SU-14 while slower could still evade almost all of the time, and could tank splash damage maybe a bit better. But in close quarters S-51 was far better and sure, you could run away round the corner or something, which SU-14 kinda can't do.

But, no more tracers means SU-14 takes the cake these days.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Are you only considering regular tanks for this list or premium tanks as well? If your throwing premium into the mix I would have to say the Pz38H735(f) is by far the most powerful tier 2 tank.

I would also nominate the M36 Slugger as the best TD of tier 6. I think everyone knows the jadgpzr 4 is terribad, The SU-100 is pretty good but it just doesnt seem to have the same level of awesome for its tier that the SU-85 w/ 107mm has. The slugger IMO is fucking win sauce, Its got everything that makes the wolverine good on top of having better armor, an awesome gun in the form of the 90mm AT, and doesnt get totally raped by HE when you get the second turret.

I dunno. I've heard Slugger proponents before, but I wasn't that impressed. Yeah, it's a good gun at tier 6, and the rof boost as well as + 0.2 extra accuracy over M6 90mm is nice, but, it just doesn't have that....tiny bit extra. Like you say yourself about SU-100, it's good, but, not quite as good as SU-85 with 107mm. Perhaps it's also matchmaking, having 300 alpha with 167mm pen at tier 5 is worth a heck of a lot more then 160 pen and 240 alpha at tier 6, or 175mm pen and 390 dmg. Yes Slugger has the turret, but, so does the M6.

It's nice, but imo doesn't quite cut the mustard for permanent garage slot. Then again, for me some of those other tanks don't either, like JPanty or T25AT.

Maybe I should add prems yeah, but I haven't used them myself so dunno really if I should.
    So what would it be, Pz38H735(f), Ram II, Type59, KV-5 if you also want to spam gold, and Lwe if you don't care that it costs more then anything else. Am I forgetting something?

Or just say Type59.

Oh and maybe T2 light for occasional company or tourny scout duty, because it's the fastest tier 2. But then, M2 light has that role fairly well covered.

Arthur Schopenhauer

KV-1S, biatch!

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    KV-1S, biatch!
    Pass
    Corw

Quote Originally Posted by Corwyna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    KV-1S, biatch!
    Pass
    Agreed.

No love for the Hetzer...fuck you guys, I'm going home.[just rebought mine tonight to play with my buddy, showed him how to solo/harangue T7 HVYs]
    "Nobody tries penis..." - sister on topic of "bisexuals".
    "Your friends list is empty."-all forums

Do not forget to niggrep...

Missing the 3002 DB imho. Not much used these days but at least for me one of the most effective and most fun tanks to drive.

No love for the MS-1 sniper?

Quote Originally Posted by Lusulpher View Post
    No love for the Hetzer...fuck you guys, I'm going home.[just rebought mine tonight to play with my buddy, showed him how to solo/harangue T7 HVYs]
    Try harder.

IS-4, T110E5, T-54, E-50, IS-8, M103, T34, Type 59, M26 Pershing, AMX 13 90, KV-3, SU-122-44, AMX AC Mle. 1946, SU-101, T20, T71, T25/2, KV-1S, T21, Jgdpzr IV, Sherman E8, GW Panther, AMX 12t, M18, Stug III, T-50-2, T-34, PzIV, ELC AMX, Crusader, Covenanter, SU-26, T1, RenaultFT.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui Shon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Madscotsman View Post
    Yea, but aren't the days of tier1 noobhunting over for the most part now, with how the MM works these days? And why wouldn't you go with M2 light, AT-1, PzJg1 or something instead?
    Well, yes, but you listed a Tier 1 so I gave my opinion of Tier 1. I completely agree that there are better Tier 2 tanks for the job.