hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 145461626364
Results 1,261 to 1,277 of 1277

Thread: Monthly Mouse/Keyboard/Headset Thread

I can't believe I'm writing this, but I bought another mouse -.-

Zowie FK2 white.

This time it's the last one. It feels like nothing else before (good). It has stuffs like adjustable DPI, it's ambidextrous, whatevs. No drivers needed. Works in any port. Feels like a dream (probably because it's so light). Glossy finish is great. Will probably get a second one just in case this one dies at any one point.

Amazing thing, I never thought I'll be so pleasantly surprised by a mouse ever again.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

I'll just leave this here.

http://bfy.tw/Nci8

You're welcome.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post

You're welcome.
    fml

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post

You're welcome.
    fmm
    Fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    So how much impact does losing 'surround' sound when using a 2ch. DAC?
    I really don't understand the question. If you use a 2ch DAC, there is no "surround", not in its classic interpretation. Are you asking regarding games? Movies? Youtube? Lossless music? Does it output to an amplifier that has how many speakers connected? o.O
    Moast games use some form of positional audio and most gaming audio chip sets / sound cards try to convert this via. surround sound onto 2ch. headphones with various tricks with various levels of success. However if I dont use a gaming audio device and go for a DAC/amp to run higher impedance audio headphones there is no trickery and hence no 'virtual surround' on the headphones, just wondering if that has an actual impact rather than a gaming gimmick, I know switching my current headphones from 7.1 to stereo looses a lot of the presence feeling in FPS games.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

I've "preordered" the new Keychron K2 mechanical keyboard via Kickstarter. I've seen good reviews for the first one, so hopefully it'll live up to my modest expectations. The Zalman which I've had previously had issues recognizing spacebar keystrokes (and the whole space key got dislodged eventually if one kept hitting it on one side more than the other).
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

I really don't understand the question. If you use a 2ch DAC, there is no "surround", not in its classic interpretation. Are you asking regarding games? Movies? Youtube? Lossless music? Does it output to an amplifier that has how many speakers connected? o.O
    Moast games use some form of positional audio and most gaming audio chip sets / sound cards try to convert this via. surround sound onto 2ch. headphones with various tricks with various levels of success. However if I dont use a gaming audio device and go for a DAC/amp to run higher impedance audio headphones there is no trickery and hence no 'virtual surround' on the headphones, just wondering if that has an actual impact rather than a gaming gimmick, I know switching my current headphones from 7.1 to stereo looses a lot of the presence feeling in FPS games.
    Ah, that's much better. For starters, I've been using the following:
    - ASUS Xonar D2x with random headphones* in my collection;
    - ASUS Xonar D2x with optical output into Onkyo TX-NR525 and random headphones;
    - DAC NAD 1050 (connected via USB) with random headphones.

All yield similar outputs in CSGO, DOOM (2016), Overwatch, Destiny 2 from a positional point of view. In fact, so similar that the differences are not really noticeable. Perhaps in terms of loudness/separation/clarity there are differences, but you would expect that regardless. The "trickery" you talk about happens before the sound leaves your system anyway, so you should have literally the same output regardless of combo if your endpoint is represented by headphones.

*Headphones are Sennheiser HD380 Pro, Sennheiser HD598SR, Razer Hammerhead mk1.

It is, however a nice question and something I would like to test if I found a few days available for this, but the results would be highly subjective. I've gone past the days where I would spend hours and days to test something. I go by feeling lately and it's ok for me

Quote Originally Posted by halka View Post
    I've "preordered" the new Keychron K2 mechanical keyboard via Kickstarter. I've seen good reviews for the first one, so hopefully it'll live up to my modest expectations. The Zalman which I've had previously had issues recognizing spacebar keystrokes (and the whole space key got dislodged eventually if one kept hitting it on one side more than the other).
    Why didn't you just get a Vortex Race 3 (plus-minus RGB) off Amazon with the switches to your liking and just call it a day?

Why didn't you just get a Vortex Race 3 (plus-minus RGB) off Amazon with the switches to your liking and just call it a day?
    While it doesn't look too bad, it's around twice the price of either K1 (USD 80?) and the preorder K2 (USD ~60) - and I honestly didn't know about it :P

Perhaps I'll reconsider if I'll burn myself again with the K2, but it's too soon to tell (they should start shipping next month).
    All expressed opinions match those of my employers, hail satan

Ah, that's much better. For starters, I've been using the following:
    - ASUS Xonar D2x with random headphones* in my collection;
    - ASUS Xonar D2x with optical output into Onkyo TX-NR525 and random headphones;
    - DAC NAD 1050 (connected via USB) with random headphones.

All yield similar outputs in CSGO, DOOM (2016), Overwatch, Destiny 2 from a positional point of view. In fact, so similar that the differences are not really noticeable. Perhaps in terms of loudness/separation/clarity there are differences, but you would expect that regardless. The "trickery" you talk about happens before the sound leaves your system anyway, so you should have literally the same output regardless of combo if your endpoint is represented by headphones.

*Headphones are Sennheiser HD380 Pro, Sennheiser HD598SR, Razer Hammerhead mk1.

It is, however a nice question and something I would like to test if I found a few days available for this, but the results would be highly subjective. I've gone past the days where I would spend hours and days to test something. I go by feeling lately and it's ok for me
    Great thanks, It seems to be a confusing mess as to who does what, i guess the most important thing is where the game places the sound.
    Now to try and actually choose headphones & DAC, it seems I am too picky a customer and no one makes what I want (head band, closed back, fabric pads, replaceable cable and good base response) AKG K271 MK11's come very close but apparent have noticeable lack of base, not sure if the Fiio Ek10's Base boost would help them?

And of course Fiio E10k or K3?
    Last edited by Tailn; May 13 2019 at 04:00:57 PM.

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    That's not entirely true. In some games it is, but in others a soundcard can present itself as 5.1 or 7.1 to the game, use HRTF to make a headphone-oriented 3D soundscape and send that out a stereo port. But only if you've configured everything correctly. Your Xonar should be able to do that IIRC and you should definitely hear the difference when it does. Whether it's an improvement is of course subjective, particularly since HRTF are modelled on an "average" head and not everyone has an average head. Also don't use this when you're putting it on speakers, it won't work at all.

I have a Sound BlasterX G6 (external USB soundcard), which is well known for it's excellent 3D positional audio, and I turn it all off and use it in bare-bones stereo mode. But that's partly because I play a lot of Elite: Dangerous which has some of the best audio I've ever heard in a game and turning on the 3D shit of the card only makes it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    That's not entirely true. In some games it is, but in others a soundcard can present itself as 5.1 or 7.1 to the game, use HRTF to make a headphone-oriented 3D soundscape and send that out a stereo port. But only if you've configured everything correctly. Your Xonar should be able to do that IIRC and you should definitely hear the difference when it does. Whether it's an improvement is of course subjective, particularly since HRTF are modelled on an "average" head and not everyone has an average head. Also don't use this when you're putting it on speakers, it won't work at all.

I have a Sound BlasterX G6 (external USB soundcard), which is well known for it's excellent 3D positional audio, and I turn it all off and use it in bare-bones stereo mode. But that's partly because I play a lot of Elite: Dangerous which has some of the best audio I've ever heard in a game and turning on the 3D shit of the card only makes it worse.
    Those were my ears "measuring" so to speak and the only thing "turned on" in my Xonar D2x is the Dolby Digital Live, but it's all set to stereo. Positioning is excellent, regardless (or I haven't heard surround sound proper since I haven't really been bothered by this). What I know is I can still hear where the targets are and act accordingly. Doesn't change that I'm visually challenged and by the time I start shooting I've already been shot at by several people

While it doesn't look too bad, it's around twice the price of either K1 (USD 80?) and the preorder K2 (USD ~60) - and I honestly didn't know about it :P

Perhaps I'll reconsider if I'll burn myself again with the K2, but it's too soon to tell (they should start shipping next month).
    Whoops didn't see the price of the Kickstarter thingie, sorry about that. I like the Vortex layers, I've been using the Pok3r (or Poker 3) for months now as my main and don't miss any of the extra keys at all (MX Black switches).
    Last edited by Cosmin; May 13 2019 at 06:36:26 PM.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Those were my ears "measuring" so to speak and the only thing "turned on" in my Xonar D2x is the Dolby Digital Live, but it's all set to stereo. Positioning is excellent, regardless (or I haven't heard surround sound proper since I haven't really been bothered by this). What I know is I can still hear where the targets are and act accordingly. Doesn't change that I'm visually challenged and by the time I start shooting I've already been shot at by several people
    Oh yeah you don't need the virtual 3D stuff to be able to hear where stuff is coming from, it's just trying to add more soundstage and add "correct" echoes and such. Normal stereo is excellent for hearing where stuff is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post

All Dolby Digital Live does is encode your audio into a proper 5.1 format for SPDIF so that it can be decoded by your receiver/amplifier as dolby digital/DTS signal, as otherwise the SPDIF signal comes out as a decoded signal which a receiver/amp can only interpret as 2 channel. It's basically doing nothing since you are listening to it in stereo, you are getting no positional audio mix.

Reminder that windows itself has an implementation of 'fake' positional audio for stereo headphones and more and more games have solutions these days for it.

Monster Hunter World for example works downright magically with its solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Ordered an Ergodox EZ keyboard (Cherry MX-Brown because you can't order without switches).

Currently messing about with the configurator so I have the firmware ready when it's here