hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 68 of 71 FirstFirst ... 185865666768697071 LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1417

Thread: Monthly Mouse/Keyboard/Headset Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Oh, a Realforce. Perhaps I assumed that top Topre means HHKB Pro 2

Sorry.
    Yeah Realforce is Topre's Actual brand. HHKB just uses their switches, as do some of the Leopold boards.

There are a lot of really neat topre boards that never made it outside of Japan, such as the 108UH-ANLG, which used the capacitive nature of the switches in an analog form, so they became pressure sensitive. They leveraged this tech a bit in some of the realforce gaming boards like mine to allow for different actuation distances. Would love to get my hands on one but I have only ever seen a handful for sale and they were all $550+, and snapped up instantly.

I think for my next board I may geek out with a Ultimate Hacking KB, As I have been wanting an ergo-esq board and I think its a pretty neat concept, being something like a bastard love child of a threeway between a HHKB, ErgoDox-EZ and a Mistrel.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    There are a lot of really neat topre boards that never made it outside of Japan
    Yeah my Realforce 86UKB is a south korean model (with both QWERTY and south korean characters on the keycaps, but those are black on black anyway) that I had to import through a shady south korean ebay clone where you basically gave someone a couple of hundred dollars and hoped he would go out and buy the correct keyboard for you and mailed it properly so that it actually arrived. Bit of a risk but it worked first try for me, so that was good. Back in those days it was nearly impossible to get a proper Realforce outside of Japan / South Korea, and it wasn't like there were a lot of proper alternatives. Keyboard geeks these days have no idea how good they have it now. And yes I'm aware of how old I sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Keyboard geeks these days have no idea how good they have it now.
    Idk how "good" we have it nowadays seeing I'm waiting on shipments august through december and probably beyond that too

I have a keycap set still stuck in Southern California and a keycap opener in limbo between China and UK and either weren't cheap, but some of the shit I ordered is only beginning production now. Overall I'll probably have to build my Holy Panda Fjell next year
    Last edited by Cosmin; July 4 2019 at 09:41:06 AM.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

So after experimenting on a switch with lubing...

Decided to do the whole keeb, did a video in between halves for sound comparison.

When normally typing (i.e. not bottoming out), the sound (what's left of it, really) is incredibly pleasant and the tactile bump on the MX Browns is actually there compared to unlubed status. Really can't wait on the Holy Panda switches (shipping end of July ugh).

So I found a store selling only two mechanical keyboard brands exclusively pmuch

Leopold and the Japanese made Realforce.

And Holy fuck they felt amazing. 300 fucking dollars plus though so no fucking way in hell.

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Topre_Realforce

Ended up buying some random korean brand for a decent price.
    Last edited by Isyel; July 5 2019 at 04:11:08 AM.

Yeah, unfortunately they're not cheap and getting such a peripheral can be expensive. Otoh they tend to last decades so depends on how much you're willing to splurge for the feels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ye got a 60 dollar Korean thing with kailh red switches, I liked them more than the cherry ones due to slightly more feel to them.

Feels pretty great in games but I could see them being awful for extended typing lol.

Really sturdy for its price tho.

[edit]

And I just realized the keyboards I ended up seeing are literally what the last page was talking about lol.

http://www.pcgear.co.kr

Look at this store. It's literal keybaord nerd heaven and you can try a lot of them lol.
    Last edited by Isyel; July 5 2019 at 08:53:59 AM.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Yeah I bought my Topre for $275 over 11 years ago, and apart from the dust it's basically still as good as new. $25 per year for one of the best keyboards money can buy isn't a bad deal imho, and I'm fairly sure that number is going to halve or more before any issues arise.

Also I think it's great that Cosmin is so open about how much he enjoys lubing his stem, very inspirational!

Oh and also someone linked me this recently: https://ultimatehackingkeyboard.com/ Now that's an expensive keyboard.....

that said having to get used to this shit in games as its about a million times more responsive than my old cheapo logitech so i cant quite ham it as much heh

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Yeah I bought my Topre for $275 over 11 years ago, and apart from the dust it's basically still as good as new. $25 per year for one of the best keyboards money can buy isn't a bad deal imho, and I'm fairly sure that number is going to halve or more before any issues arise.

Also I think it's great that Cosmin is so open about how much he enjoys lubing his stem, very inspirational!

Oh and also someone linked me this recently: https://ultimatehackingkeyboard.com/ Now that's an expensive keyboard.....
    Glad I could help

I was aware of the UHK, still picked Ergodox EZ. No regrets.

While we were speaking about keyboards my Razer Blackwidow 2016 Ultimate has started to register keypresses for F1 not as a single press but a double press with a 1-2sec delay.

Now I am not sure whether I am super annoyed by it, or if I will use that as an excuse to buy a new keyboard.
    nevar forget

I'm 95% sure it can be fixed, but w/e you want to do is fine

Just bind your guns to F2

Quote Originally Posted by vDJ View Post
    Heh, yeah. Sadly rebinding land map mode in HOI4 isn't possible.

I could replace the switch with one I don't use as often (scroll lock for example). I'm not quite sure how easy that is though.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

I could replace the switch with one I don't use as often (scroll lock for example). I'm not quite sure how easy that is though.
    If you're not sure, don't attempt it. Desoldering a switch entails using a solder pump quite proficiently. I use a desoldering gun and it's still annoying af sometimes (desoldered an entire keyboard). Also, MX switches are literally inexpensive, why not buy a new switch and talk to a friend who can solder?

Also test it on another computer and make sure it's actually doing it and it's not some software glitch. I assume it's out of warranty? Which switches is it using?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

If you're not sure, don't attempt it. Desoldering a switch entails using a solder pump quite proficiently. I use a desoldering gun and it's still annoying af sometimes (desoldered an entire keyboard). Also, MX switches are literally inexpensive, why not buy a new switch and talk to a friend who can solder?

Also test it on another computer and make sure it's actually doing it and it's not some software glitch. I assume it's out of warranty? Which switches is it using?
    Way out of warranty. Will try on a different computer. I am actually fairly capable at soldering myself, I looked it up, it's actually not super tiny. Switches are Razer's own green clicky ones.
    nevar forget

Aw bollocks, I forgot about the clicky Razers. The closest you can get are Cherry MX Blue, but imho they sound slightly different than Razer's greens.

From experience, the biggest issue is overheating the solder and undoing the solder pads. Don't underestimate that, I had to pull a wire from a diode due to this on my last solder job and I have plenty experience

Aw bollocks, I forgot about the clicky Razers. The closest you can get are Cherry MX Blue, but imho they sound slightly different than Razer's greens.

From experience, the biggest issue is overheating the solder and undoing the solder pads. Don't underestimate that, I had to pull a wire from a diode due to this on my last solder job and I have plenty experience
    Yeh, not to keen on doing it either.

I could get Ducky keyboards locally with ISO-DE layout. What's your verdict on those?
    nevar forget

The only Ducky I used and owned is a ducky x varmilo miya pro panda edition and it's the bee's knees, solid sounding and very well made. From what I've heard, generally Ducky makes solid keebs all around, so you should be good with such a choice.

If you're looking at getting rid of the Blackwidow, I may have a full set of MX Black switches available to further practice keeb soldering before my project group buy arrives

The only Ducky I used and owned is a ducky x varmilo miya pro panda edition and it's the bee's knees, solid sounding and very well made. From what I've heard, generally Ducky makes solid keebs all around, so you should be good with such a choice.

If you're looking at getting rid of the Blackwidow, I may have a full set of MX Black switches available to further practice keeb soldering before my project group buy arrives

Good to hear.

Also come to the Hamburg meet and you can pick it up. (Alternatively, come to Berlin.)
    nevar forget