hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 69 of 75 FirstFirst ... 195966676869707172 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1499

Thread: Monthly Mouse/Keyboard/Headset Thread

Unfortunately idk if I can make it to Hamburg, but will probably try. Been itching to drive in Germany for a while now (yay unrestricted motorway) ^^
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

I got primed. and now have a some AKG 271 MII's on their way for 55, just need to watch out for a decent USB DAC to turn up or wait on using them until I upgrade my PC and get a MotherBoard with decent Audio, if there are any that come close to dedicated DAC's?

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailn View Post
    if there are any that come close to dedicated DAC's?
    No. The best you can hope for is an optical out you can plug into a DAC/AMP. I never listened to those AKG, but a Xonar DX for example should drive them quite well on the headphone output if you can find one on eBay for cheap.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Or just get an external USB soundcard, like a Soundblaster G6 or something. Not too expensive, great sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    if there are any that come close to dedicated DAC's?
    No. The best you can hope for is an optical out you can plug into a DAC/AMP. I never listened to those AKG, but a Xonar DX for example should drive them quite well on the headphone output if you can find one on eBay for cheap.
    Still have my sound blaster X-Fi fatality i could plug back in, but I have for some reason gone off addin sound cards, I much prefer the idea of external self contained devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Overspark View Post
    Or just get an external USB soundcard, like a Soundblaster G6 or something. Not too expensive, great sound.
    Spent too long looking at amps to run High impedance headphones forgot about other options as the K271's are only 55Ohms, going to borrow the roccat Juke I bought to interface with the offices Rhode lavaliere mic to give the headphones a try out, and may be get one of those if it works out as well as a modmic.

It's a bloody desktop PC, plug that X-Fi back in for Christ's sake

well first impressions, through a 10 year old realtek HD audio chipset without any adjustments other than maxing out every volume I can find, they are soooooo good on the mids base is lacking but every single note comes through so clear and crisp I don't even miss the bass. Windows sonic seems to level all the highs and add a little to the lows makes it a more pleasant listening experience, DTS for headphones in music mode enhances the base a bit and adds a tiny bit of echo\reverb I am not sure of the 2 which I prefer and it may come down to what I am Listening to. DTS bass enhancement though very quickly kills the 'pure' mids for more 'depth'.
    Volume with every mixer maxed is not quite up to too loud just sat at safe for a good listen, feels like it needs just a little bit more though.
    Comparing to the G930's is not possible this is listening live against a fourth hand tape copy (for those of you old enough).

I will be calling up an audiophile mate and asking if I can pop over and plug then into his hifi dac to if it makes that much of a difference before making my next move.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    It's a bloody desktop PC, plug that X-Fi back in for Christ's sake
    'effort' means rolling out my base unit (height of the 00's style my case is) and the million cables connected from its hole under the desk beside the armchair to reach around the back every time i need to change something
    hmm forward facing backplate sounds like it has some value (I can live with cables).

Honestly with any good headphones you're going to want to get rid of any windows or mobo sound 'enhancements'. It made for shitty headphones and is just basically distorting you music with good headphones.

Just a general FYI since I saw optical mentioned: If you are going to rely on optical out you need to keep in mind almost no mother boards, and few sound cards actually support proper SPDIF encoding (DTS/DTX), and will only send uncompressed optical signals(PCM). Not a huge deal for the most part, but will be an issue if you are expecting to hook into an AV/Receiver or amplifier, as PCM is only two channels at a lower bit rate

If you want to add an external mic and want to go absolutely overkill, grab a USB audio interface with XLR in and a headphone output. That gives you a decently neutral output for the headphones, and a way to use a proper mic. Problem is, now you start throwing real money and capabilities at something rather basic.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    If you want to add an external mic and want to go absolutely overkill, grab a USB audio interface with XLR in and a headphone output. That gives you a decently neutral output for the headphones, and a way to use a proper mic. Problem is, now you start throwing real money and capabilities at something rather basic.
    My voice is absolutely not something that deserves XLR levels of care, mod mic will be more than enough, along with onboard input (front panel).

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    Just a general FYI since I saw optical mentioned: If you are going to rely on optical out you need to keep in mind almost no mother boards, and few sound cards actually support proper SPDIF encoding (DTS/DTX), and will only send uncompressed optical signals(PCM). Not a huge deal for the most part, but will be an issue if you are expecting to hook into an AV/Receiver or amplifier, as PCM is only two channels at a lower bit rate
    Hence why I mentioned the Xonar

My voice is absolutely not something that deserves XLR levels of care, mod mic will be more than enough, along with onboard input (front panel).
    I had a mod mic. It broke. Bought a totally over the top mic and a decent USB interface and all that jazz.

But I also use that mic at school for recording, so it does find its use.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Honestly with any good headphones you're going to want to get rid of any windows or mobo sound 'enhancements'. It made for shitty headphones and is just basically distorting you music with good headphones.

Uumm. That is entirely a matter of software and codecs, no?
    Afaik your Toslink out does literally nothing itself with the digital audio it gets. Its only passing it along. So if its only about digital audio out the onboard sound itself doesnt matter at all.
    However if its a modern receiver then its likely you ll output your digital audio via HDMI anyway, where again, your pc sound doesnt matter.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post

Uumm. That is entirely a matter of software and codecs, no?
    Afaik your Toslink out does literally nothing itself with the digital audio it gets. Its only passing it along. So if its only about digital audio out the onboard sound itself doesnt matter at all.
    However if its a modern receiver then its likely you ll output your digital audio via HDMI anyway, where again, your pc sound doesnt matter.
    DTS/DTX requires a proprietary hardware encoder, and most mobo manufactures wont pay the royalties unless it's actually a selling point for it.

Well, if you only use 5.1 DD is fine. If you go beyond that you want HDMI anyway.
    And Toslink isnt working with HD formats either.
    Thats why nobody builds in DTS connect or however it was called anymore.

The only reason for still using Toslink really is still having an oold AVR as far i can see.
    Last edited by phoenix; July 17 2019 at 04:59:38 PM.

This is what I thought was the major issue with it and why most DACS use USB.

Well, if you only use 5.1 DD is fine. If you go beyond that you want HDMI anyway.

The only reason for still using Toslink really is still having an oold AVR as far i can see.
    Sorry I should've included DD as well, 5.1 is not available over optical without a hardware encoder. You are correct that is mainly just a thing for older hardware, or when you are dealing with a straight audio amplifier that does not accept HDMI instead of a AVR.

This is what I thought was the major issue with it and why most DACS use USB.
    Pretty much, USB can be made to work with any format.

Or outputting stereo sound aka music to a proper stereo amp a decent DAC.

In other news, bought a Ducky One 2 (no backlight because reasons). Night and day difference between the clicky switches Razor uses and proper Cherry MX Blues used in their chassis.
    nevar forget

In other news, bought a Ducky One 2 (no backlight because reasons). Night and day difference between the clicky switches Razor uses and proper Cherry MX Blues used in their chassis.
    Welcome Joe. Clicky is love, Clicky is life.

Now we just need to send you down the rabbit hole of spending more on keycaps than you did on the board itself.

Lubed MX blues are amazing.

Also the Gateron Black switches are due next week, I think I'll do a build log