hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 66 of 70 FirstFirst ... 165663646566676869 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 1385

Thread: Monthly Mouse/Keyboard/Headset Thread

Laugh about it, but it's very similar to how the classic car market works
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Know what, man is ridiculous but is enjoying every bit of it, and I can't but love it.

Keep going you spectacular wondrous nerd, godspeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Know what, man is ridiculous but is enjoying every bit of it, and I can't but love it.

Keep going you spectacular wondrous nerd, godspeed.

https://soundcloud.com/garrett-garth...-keyboard-road

Edit: so, today I experimented with lubing an MX Brown switch. Besides the obvious change in sound (which I find delicious), there is a marked improvement in feeling the tactile bump characteristic to MX Brown switches. Overall op success, only 76 more switches to go now

Last edited by Cosmin; June 23 2019 at 12:25:25 PM.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Wasn't sure whether to put this in this thread or the phone thread...

looking for a tablet (fairly quickly) to use at an expo. All it needs to do really is play video, but i've managed to convince another dept. to pay for it if they can use it after the expo - so ideally 125 max inc shipping, needs largeish screen (10" minimum), expandable memory would be a plus, otherwise minimum 16gb, 2gb ram, and wifi with 4g as a bonus.

So far amazon's suggested; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fusion5-And...mputers&sr=1-1 but i'm very out of the loop so any other suggestions would be very very much appreciated!

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Wasn't sure whether to put this in this thread or the phone thread...

looking for a tablet (fairly quickly) to use at an expo. All it needs to do really is play video, but i've managed to convince another dept. to pay for it if they can use it after the expo - so ideally 125 max inc shipping, needs largeish screen (10" minimum), expandable memory would be a plus, otherwise minimum 16gb, 2gb ram, and wifi with 4g as a bonus.

So far amazon's suggested; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fusion5-And...mputers&sr=1-1 but i'm very out of the loop so any other suggestions would be very very much appreciated!
    Never heard of Fusion5, wouldn't trust them to not be stealing your data.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...ab-e10---black
    https://www.newegg.com/lenovo-slate-...0002-_-Product
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-p...?skuId=5848562 (only 9.7" tho)

Best bet: Visit a pawn shop and look for an old iPad.
    Last edited by Nordstern; June 25 2019 at 12:32:15 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

LF a low-profile/quiet mechanical keyboard for my office. Windows / Uk pls.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    I have come to like the silence of Apple's Magic Keyboard. There are cheaper alternatives to it. I think someone here has a K750?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Size? Do you need a numpad? Cherry MX Brown or MX black or red should be what you should be looking for, but low profile is either scissor and not mechanical or mechanical and noisy (hard to mod with o-rings).

Most of the "noise" from mechanical boards with silent switches comes from keycaps bottoming out. Also, Cherry MX housings are loud. Also, lack of a plate. Also, lack of sound proofing or lubing. You can turn any mechanical board into a really silent thing but you need to adjust your typing and mod the shit out of it.

Otherwise, look for a Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional Type-S, they are fantastic boards.

Um, what's your budget tho?

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    I have come to like the silence of Apple's Magic Keyboard. There are cheaper alternatives to it. I think someone here has a K750?

Apple keyboard is noice though tbqh, zero lag and very pleasant to type on. Also really quiet.
    Last edited by Cosmin; June 25 2019 at 04:48:50 PM.

I ended up with a Roccat Vulcan 121. https://www.amazon.com/ROCCAT-Vulcan.../dp/B07QGLQ6MS

Very happy with it, both from a function and aesthetics standpoint. Not exactly quiet or low profile, though it’s quieter than some mechanical boards I’ve used.

What is my idea of a nice sounding keyboard lately:

https://youtu.be/miWWXcZnUeg?t=8711

2:25:11, if youtube embedding decides to crap itself.

I use a magic keyboard atm. but the cmd/win/alt keys being messed up and the general arsing around with the keyboard map gets annoying.
    Budget: under 100.
    Keypad: Yes
    Keyboard: UK/Windows

I ended up with a Roccat Vulcan 121. https://www.amazon.com/ROCCAT-Vulcan.../dp/B07QGLQ6MS
    Something like that, but without the lights would be legit.

I use a magic keyboard atm. but the cmd/win/alt keys being messed up and the general arsing around with the keyboard map gets annoying.
    Budget: under 100.
    Keypad: Yes
    Keyboard: UK/Windows

Something like that, but without the lights would be legit.
    The lights can be turned off, but be advised that it may still be noisier than the Apple Keyboard. Look for it with Cherry MX Black/Brown/Red (those are in order of force required to actuate, see spoilered pic). Would advise at least an o-ring kit (they're really inexpensive) and see how you get along with it. Lubing the stabilizers may also help in smoothness and with the sound (stabs are the bits supporting longer keys like the spacebar).

About the switches, the ones I wrote are linear but the Brown also have a tactile bump - you won't really feel it though if you don't lube the switches themselves because Cherry kinda cocked up a bit there. Idea is that you shouldn't bottom them out and it'll be reasonably silent.

Spoiler:

thanks. i'm not overly fussed about the noise, at least not enough to go through that effort. it it annoys my coworkers enough though they can do it

Just noticed those switches are not Cherry MX, which can be both a blessing and a curse at the same time. IDK what to say, examining their PR bullshit appears to be an MX brown-like thingie, non clicky tactile bump switch. How smooth and good it is in the long run is another matter entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Just noticed those switches are not Cherry MX, which can be both a blessing and a curse at the same time. IDK what to say, examining their PR bullshit appears to be an MX brown-like thingie, non clicky tactile bump switch. How smooth and good it is in the long run is another matter entirely.
    They’re marketed as being something like halfway between a Cherry Red and a Cherry Brown. Definitely not as quiet as an apple magic keyboard, but more tactile with a slight click. Lights can be easily turned off, or set to something inoffensive like a low-intensity white or red glow. The dial on the right controls volume or brightness.

Im pretty stoked and like the board. I first purchased a Benq Celeritas II to go with the Zowie FK2, but ended up returning it because I intensely disliked the non-clicky switches (also not Cherry brand). And because I’m a bit OCD and dislike having mismatched peripherals, I sent the mouse back and got a Roccat mouse to go with the Vulcan keyboard. That said it was a very nice (smooooooooth) mouse.

Do they click because you bottom out or because there is a clicky thing to them like in the Cherry Blue switches?

Ayy, the Zowies are smooth :3

I'm unsure why keeb manufacturers insist on developing their own (usually quite shit) switches instead of opting to go with well known manufacturers. Gateron makes cracking switches, but I suppose they're more expensive than internal keeb manufacuter's R&D department made up of one oblivious person When I say this I mean mostly Razer who are hyper retarded with their really crap Razer switches (never encountered such a rattly apparatus tbh until the Chroma X). Would order a Vulcan just to play with it but I"m way over budget already for about three years so I'll pass and believe you is gud

There’s a slight detent on the initial press, then the key goes to the bottom.

So that's a tactile bump, but not a click. Example of clicky switches are Cherry MX Blue or Alps blue or Razer Green.

Example of tactile switches are MX Brown, Gateron Brown, Holy Pandas. They have a feelable bump to touch when they actuate, but they don't click

#keyboardautism

Okay, I’ve never differentiate between tactile and clicks keys, then. As long as they have enough initial resistance that I can set my fingers on the home row in a relaxed posture and not accidentally trigger a switch, I’m happy. The Celeritas didn’t pass that test; reaching to the Q or Z rows would often get me a mis-triggered home row key. No patience for that shit.

The bunch of articles on the internets don't make it easy, don't worry. The thing is clicky switches are also tactile (they have the bump but also the click as extra ).

Your problem with the Celeritas by what you're saying was the switch actuation force. It is what is annoying with in-house developed switches. They go on an on about how awesome their switches are but they don't list the actuation force, which is quite essential in assessing your needs. Given the fact that dedicated switch manufacturers do list that everywhere, it's another indication these companies are oblivious and/or profit oriented - just try to sell it and hopefully they won't return it.