hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 71 of 75 FirstFirst ... 216168697071727374 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 1483

Thread: Monthly Mouse/Keyboard/Headset Thread

Idk, I have not tasted them.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Crumbs. And yeah, not eating close to the ducky.

Also the ducky is so much nicer. And not rgb or even back-lit. That's nicer as well IMHO.

Happy you got a project to spend time with.

In other news, my JBL e50bt headphones are disintegrating. Both pads are ripped, the fake leather on the head strap is peeling off, the plastic on one if the hinges is cracked.

I use them daily for my commute and they get stuffed into my school backpack, which then sees some abuse while changing rooms every lesson etc.

Now I'm looking into new headphones. My new phone doesn't have a headphone jack, so Bluetooth it has to be, either in the headphones themselves or with a headphone amp/Bluetooth thingy. The latter option is obviously not the best.

I do want some decent quality cans. I am concerned with leaking sound as I commute and don't want to annoy others too much. Also my students are sometimes on the same bus and I hate it when they listen to music on their speakers. Sometimes one has to be a role model. This is something I could compromise on.

I used to have Koss Porta Pros and those would be awesome for their ruggedness, sound and affordability (even with a good Bluetooth adapter they are cheaper than serious headphones). Biggest downside is that they leak heavily.

I looked at true wireless earbuds like Sony's new WH1000xm3. They seem to be awesome but also more expensive than necessary.
    Cambridge Audio has some earbuds at 130ish, that would be an acceptable price point.

What are y'alls experiences with earbuds? I'd be concerned with secure fit and possibly losing them.

Does anyone have recommendations for over ear Bluetooth headphones?

Should I not give a fuck and get Koss Porta Pros and just enjoy their sound?

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

I use Jabra Elite 65t in-ears and I am happy with them. Their successors 75t are about to be released, so maybe you can get the 65t on sale. Should be in your price bracket either way.

Open on-ear I have AKG y50bt, also fine for the money.

I have a pair of Bose QCIs I bought used a few years ago and they’re nigh-indestructible. Battery life continues to amaze me, as well. The second gen is not a meaningful upgrade over the first, and you can probably snag a deal on a set of QCIs if you poke around.

I’ve heard good things about the Cambridge Audio wireless buds, as well. They seem like a really good middle-of-the road product and I’d be keen to try a pair. Haven’t decided if I’m going to go for earbuds or overears when the QCs give up the ghost.

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    lube to last me 3 lifetimes
    That does produce interesting mental images.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Does anyone have recommendations for over ear Bluetooth headphones?
    Yes, but not at your price point. You can get some amazing Bluetooth over ear noise cancelling headphones, but prepare to shell out EUR 300 - 400 for good ones. Cheaper ones make a lot of compromises, mainly on sound quality. The Sony you mention does sound better than Bose models for example, but both brands focus primarily on their excellent noise cancelling and have very mediocre sound quality.

I don't really care about noise canceling. I usually have the volume up a fair bit anyway.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Hot take: They focus on sound cancelling because amazing sound quality doesn't matter that much when you hear other sounds in the background over it anyway if used outside.

Have some cheapo JBL over ear bluetooths and they do a fine job in the end with solid battery life. Get something comfortable with ok sound within your budget, as going on a quest for insane quality won't mean much commuting in noisy environments unless as said above, you're spending tons for great noise canceling and audio together. Just one is going to be mostly worthless. If going for a compromise tho I would go for better canceling first to get a more peaceful commute.

This is of course my personal take as someone who has to spend entirely too much time on public transport.
    Last edited by Isyel; September 12 2019 at 04:49:59 PM.

If I want amazing sound, I grab my Beyerdynamics cans at home. I want decent quality, hence a price point that isn't 20.

But yeah, amazing sound gets expensive quickly. My hifi set up at home was a grand, and that's considered entry level.

My current ones are decent JBLs. I'd keep on using them if they didn't look like this:

Pay attention to the hinge in the back.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

FWIW you could likely just replace the pads if it's a remotely popular model.

Oi, Joe, we have the same desk mat

Now I've had a terrible feeling and checked the Blackwidow Chroma X I got last year. It has exactly the same shit stabilizers. Unfortunately it's even harder to work with since the top case of the keyboard is the actual plate (a good thing, honestly, I just love how it feels), but it is solid metal and a bitch to drill in). The PCB also seems to support screw in stabilizers.

Razer could do so much more at those price points it's literally frustrating.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    i mean unless you're talking about steel, any household drill will cope with metal (we're talking like 3-5mm at most right)...

It feels like aluminium, however my experience with this type of metal plates is that they bend or warp or otherwise fuck themselves up if I start drilling in them. And this is regardless of drill bits type, speed, pressure applied. It's not the same as having it properly machined/laser cut, and with a keyboard even a 0.5-1mm deformity can feel like you ruined it completely

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    FWIW you could likely just replace the pads if it's a remotely popular model.
    Check the hinge in the back. The plastic is cracked. I fear the hinge won't last.

If it weren't for that, new pads would already be on their way to me.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

New pads and a good 2-part epoxy/resin adhesive should fix them no probs, depends on the level of DIY you're willing to put into them tho. Avoid super glue and other cyanoacrylate based stuff, it's really bad for the plastic.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    TURTLE BEACH HEADPHONES!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    It feels like aluminium, however my experience with this type of metal plates is that they bend or warp or otherwise fuck themselves up if I start drilling in them. And this is regardless of drill bits type, speed, pressure applied. It's not the same as having it properly machined/laser cut, and with a keyboard even a 0.5-1mm deformity can feel like you ruined it completely
    Also, in order to do it properly you have to tap the hole after drilling, which is its own fun. But most plates simply aren't thick enough to do this after the fact, you wont have enough thread engagement to hold it properly. If you look closely at plates that are made for screw in stabs, when they stamp the metal, they emboss the metal where the hole goes so there is more area for threads.

I got some cherry stabs clip ons off amazon, will see how they fare :3

The screw in stabs don't screw in the plate, they screw in the PCB. To mount those you have to desolder all the switches. The plate holes are there just to let the stab pass through.

Picked myself up a Hotdox 76 when I came across it on sale at kono.com. Essentially a DIY ergodox that can hot swap switches. Filled it with cherry blues & greens for maximum clickiness. Assembly was pretty painless, peeling the paper backing off the acrylic slices took longer than anything else. Spent the past two weeks mucking about with QMK to get the base layout and layers setup in a way that works best for me, even though I have duplicate enters & backspaces, muscle memory is a bitch and I just cant get used to using my thumbs for those. One thing I really dont care for is the Costar stabs, They've got a nice feel but they are a bitch to install and change caps with, will probably swap em for cherries eventually.

It came with a set of blank caps, and between a DSA legacy set I had and a grab bag a coworker had laying at her house I have a semi-decipherable set of caps, even if a bit jarring. As if I didnt spend enough on keyboard junk before, I'm now gonna have to buy ergo caps as well. I've also been designing a tenting kit in Fusion360 to print out; there are some already out there on thingiverse and what not but they are just basically bricks that sit under the boards, and I want something with a little bit of adjustment, which can be done simply enough with some threaded inserts. Would like to get some decent cables for this thing but that'll wait till I have found a cap set I want.

Got GMK Voyage set to look forward to in a few months but thats for my vibe80, Still tempted to buy a TGR Alice.

I wish I got into a cheaper hobby, Like Crack Cocaine

Are posts sent from a touch screen phone inferior to posts masterly crafted on a heavily modified mechanical keyboard with lubed switches and personalised tactile response?

Is this post an act of rebellion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Are posts sent from a touch screen phone inferior to posts masterly crafted on a heavily modified mechanical keyboard with lubed switches and personalised tactile response?

Is this post an act of rebellion?
    Look at this guy internalising the capitalist consumerist narrative that the brand is the message
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!