hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 70 of 75 FirstFirst ... 206067686970717273 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 1496

Thread: Monthly Mouse/Keyboard/Headset Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    Now we just need to send you down the rabbit hole of spending more on keycaps than you did on the board itself.
    Shh, I showed him SA Bliss and now he ghosted me on Steam
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    Now we just need to send you down the rabbit hole of spending more on keycaps than you did on the board itself.
    Shh, I showed him SA Bliss and now he ghosted me on Steam
    A rabbit hole if there ever was one.

WTB an affordable, sort of light 60% ISO-De keyboard.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Pok3r. Then send it to me to rebuild it with lubed stabs and lubed switches

Edit: I would get the non-RGB version with MX Black because honestly RGB Cherry MX Switches are scratch central and not even lube can save those. Or just get the RGB and we'll do a swap with Gateron Black (or Ink if you feel fancy)

P. interesting that my non RGB Pok3r comes with PBT keycaps and I paid 75 quid for it and this has ABS keycaps at 145EUR
    Last edited by Cosmin; July 20 2019 at 05:04:30 PM.

Holy pandas have arrived, I am hyped af.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, a few updates.

Holy Pandas have been in my Ergodox for about 2 weeks now and feel amazing. Unfortunately, they're factory lubed. Unfortunately because it's the most inconsistent lube job I've ever seen - it's everywhere or nowhere in the switch and makes them feel inconsistent at times. Other than that, they have the most satisfying tactile bump ever and they're clacking super nicely.

I've opened up and cleaned all of the ones remained after decking my Ergodox - that's about 104 of them and bathed them in a Thermos with water and a tablet of washing machine detergent. After rinsing them I've used some compressed air to remove the excess water and left them overnight to dry. After that I've separated them into bags for top/bottom/stems/springs. Lubed a part of them yesterday and they feel amazing now - much deeper thock sound, nicer actuation feel as well, tactility unimpeded.

Keeb from Joe arrived and made me swear I'll never buy another Razer board ever. My modding project seems dead from the start because the stabilizers are clip on frail plastic thingies that are impossible to lube - thus the keeb will always sound like shit, regardless of what else I do to it. Their plate is not compatible with GMK screw in stabs either, but I'll have to check out the PCB underneath before giving up completely. If the PCB is compatible, the plate can be modded easily since it's acrylic and easy to Dremel up. Keycaps are so bad as well quality wise, they feel cheap and frail

Will report back with more impressions ^^

Completed lubing for 104 Holy Panda switches and holy shit I'm completely exhausted. My eyes are starting to get artefacts from the strain

You're a crazy bastard. My housemates give me weird looks when I do odd things for my hobbies like cleaning my golf clubs every now and then or re-gripping hockey sticks and cricket bats. If they caught me lubricating my keyboard keys individually I think they'd probably get me sectioned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    You're a crazy bastard. My housemates give me weird looks when I do odd things for my hobbies like cleaning my golf clubs every now and then or re-gripping hockey sticks and cricket bats. If they caught me lubricating my keyboard keys individually I think they'd probably get me sectioned
    keep on shining cosmin

I still have like 76 HPs to do - been using them in the Ergodox unlubed. But I need a break, eye strain really is a thing.

Other than that, I have to say for me it's a process that helps me focus and relax mentally. It's like meditation on crack, but then again for me doing things with my hands (hue) always worked this way

Really need to try and setup a camera so that I can do a typing test and demonstrate the difference the lubing makes. Granted, proper stabilizers lubing is what makes up for a lot of the sound change and the Ergodox has no stabilizers, but I still think there is a discernible difference.

You could just enjoy whatever the fuck you're doing and have a grand time but i guess it's more important to look good in front of nerds instead.

keep doing what you doing cosmin you crazy bastard

(edit) Lmao malc you're one sad sad fuck, thanks for the rep love
    Last edited by Isyel; August 28 2019 at 04:04:44 PM.

My keycaps are ETAs starting september, the hype is real

I removed prices so you nerds don't die on reading
    Last edited by Cosmin; August 28 2019 at 10:28:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    You could just enjoy whatever the fuck you're doing and have a grand time but i guess it's more important to look good in front of nerds instead.

keep doing what you doing cosmin you crazy bastard

(edit) Lmao malc you're one sad sad fuck, thanks for the rep love
    Eh? I think you're misunderstanding my post almost entirely
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

I get that you likely meant it jokingly, mind.

Still think calling basic hobbies like that odd and worrying about how nerds see you is just sad tho. :shrug:

They aren't odd hobbies, but people who aren't involved in the hobby often don't understand the maintenance that is also involved. I doubt many who haven't played cricket understand bat care like knocking in and oiling for example, which does look odd if you don't know why it is being done.

If someone said they were lubricating their keyboard most people would either think it is a euphemism or they are going mad.

I think it's more about how accessible the hobby understanding is. Lubing mechanical switches means (if you're not a complete masochist) getting a switch opener (super niche stuff, can get quite expensive), getting the right lube for the switch (lube thickness affects the sound and feel of the switch), getting the right technique and being consistent with it and a lot of patience. This can be... difficult to explain.

But most people use rubber domes every day at work and most people can't really hear the difference, although it is a LOT more obvious than say the difference between mp3 and FLAC. It is only when they actually try to type on a lubed mech that you can see their face light up and they're usually along the lines of "I never thought it could feel this way"

It is the same with cricket bats I am sure, hell, even basic knife maintenance is a complex thing. But most people don't even care their kitchen knife cuts like shit because they don't have a reference frame. I am literally afraid allowing people to handle my knife collection or even the basic kitchen knives if we're cooking when they come over because the last time somebody took the hunter knive out of the sheath they managed to stab themselves in the finger (I don't even) because they put their finger tip on the tip of the knife and they weren't expecting it to be as sharp as it is (it can effortlessly cut through cardboard/paper like it's butter).

The thing is - at the end of the day - how open minded somebody is. I've recently been talking to a girl (ikr) and we were sharing hobbies. I have not mentioned my keyboard thing because it's hard to understand even for nerds but we've been talking coffee and I was sharing my coffee roasting habit and that seemed somehow shocking to her since her usual coffee habit involves Costa or some other similar sources or instant coffee and she wasn't aware you can get raw coffee and roast it yourself. But she seemed interested in the process and results, so that's nice. A lot of people don't even want to begin to comprehend a hobby, and that is ok too, ymmv and all that.

And at the same time, it is important to get enjoyment out of your hobby. At one point when my struggles with depression left me unable to enjoy anything, I regretted a lot of monies spent on photography gear for example, but since I went back into fountain pens... it helps to take cracking shots of handwriting samples, drawings, gear and so on - and this sparked my joy again for photography. I feel this is becoming a positive spiral in recovery and healing - although I am unsure about how good it is for my wallet

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar

The Logitech G815 seems super nice, ticking all of my checklist (besides wrist rest but that's easily fixable) but 200€ welp

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
      Spoiler:
      Spoiler:

So since I've not been well the past couple days and stuck at home, I thought I had time to have another look at Joe's keeb he sent over. Not to mention I feel unable to do anything else except visit the bathroom way too many times and candidly look at my keeb stuff orders that haven't started shipping yet. RIP.

For background, it's a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2016 (Razer Green switches) which got replaced with a Ducky because F1 wasn't working.

After pulling about 1/2 a ton of crumbs from supposedly delicious german cookies from the board, F1 werks Now to further dig into the rabbit hole.

After removing 13 totally identical screws, top and bottom case come apart and the PCB + plate combo is exposed. The biggest issue I see with this keyboard are the stabilizers. They're clipped to the plate instead of the PCB, they're not GMK style screw in but instead some weird shoddy plastic clips that hold the stab wire. This means this keyboard will always have a rattle from the big keys, regardless of the effort to lube the stabilizers because the surface that is amenable to lubing is simply too small.

Turning the keyboard into a decent one seems p. hard. Whilst the PCB seems to have holes that may be amenable to screw in stabilizers with a bit of effort, it would involve drilling the plate. Which is metal.

Which brings me to the final conclusions:
    - the build quality is good;
    - the decision on the stabilizers was retarded;
    - plate is quite fantastic;
    - PCB is solid;
    - impossible to change the cable to a plug-in instead of being permanently attached to the board. The board draws way too much current for a single USB port (has two connectors).

Overall, the best that can be done with this board would be to try and lube the stabs and call it a day. Switch swapping is possible, but with the aluminium plate it's a bit pointless - if you're looking for silence, this board can't do it even with swapped switches because bottoming out on an aluminium plate amplifies the sound. If the plate was plastic/policarbonate, maybe stuffing it with enough dampening material would have made silent switches a possibility into silencing the overall experience.

At the moment I'll keep it tore down and have a thought on how to proceed. I do have black gateron switches available and lube to last me 3 lifetimes and it is good practice before building my Fjell (apparently they started shipping them).

More later.

Fake edit: Joe, if you eat german cookies over your Ducky know that I'm packed, loaded and hunting for yo ass

were they crumbs or bogies?