hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast

Thread: Tablet Shopping help

Re: Tablet Shopping help

Kogan has a new tablet. 8" same as the iPad. AU$119.. JB... (likely under powered but dame that's cheap)
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrehl View Post
    Have someone tried actually working on one of these Android tablets? Im talking office work, like excel/word/writing a ton of mails, opening pdf's and taking notes (actually who supports split screen and why isn't that a normal feature yet), editing Power Point presentations... Things like that. Do all the major windows applications have an alternative that runs on android? Im not just talking about the MS Office suite specifically, just Windows in general (excluding beefy programs for video/image processing etc of course).

My dad is looking for something lighter and easier to carry around and he doesn't need anything really specific. He also wouldn't care less how good of a media platform it is (although being able to watch a movie on the plane would be a bonus ofc). I guess that a tablet like the N7/10 would be more than just okay for his needs, but really, isn't there a normal way to open a file (be it a .pdf, .docx or whatever) and take notes on the side at the same time? I havent touched a tablet in more than a year.
    I have the Galaxy Note 10.1 for exactly this reason. Works like a charm, not as efficient as a PC but thats obvious.
    It can multitask, and comes with full version Polaris Office.

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    Sony announced the world's thinnest tablet today. 6.9mm thick (the iPad mini is 7.2 for comparison) and weighs less than 500g. It's also 1920x1200, indicating it's 16:10 rather than 16:9. Looks like a rather tasty tablet, although the relatively small battery may be problematic.
    Especially since it also has LTE. For a living room tablet I do not find battery power that important (especially if you have a charging stand which the Sony will likely have) but for mobile use..?

That being said, I find it quite tasty, really thinking about getting it. But I fear that Sony will try to sell it for too much (aka $700+) in which case hahaha-no.

The iPad Mini and iPhone 5 have LTE support, I don't think power consumption is a problem with newer chipsets, the problem is going to be powering a 1080p screen and the higher speed Tegra 3 needed to drive it.

Oh, I did not mean that LTE needs much power.

If it had no LTE you could argue that it is not meant as mobile device and its battery is just fine as "living room" tablet where you can charge it fast on the fly. It doesn't really matter there if it lasts 6 or 10 hours if it can be recharged without hassle (-> charging stand). More is better of course, but I would for such a useage scenario rather have a sleeker and lighter device than 2-4 more hours of running time which I will hardly ever need.

But if it is meant to be used mobile, too (which LTE suggests), battery power becomes much more important. There you will need the longer running time much more often.

Ah, I see. Sadly, there's not much we can say until it actually comes out and people can review it. IMO, it looks amazing, but the tech's not there. I think it's using a 40nm Tegra 3 and has a fairly standard LCD display. If they'd waited to get, say, a Tegra 4 and paired it with an IGZO display, then it could possibly keep the battery life reasonable. Then again, Tegra 4 is going to be a bit of a power hungry beast.

hey guys, just filed my taxes and looking into picking up a tablet in the $300-$500USD range, pref. android and powerful. any suggestions?

(live in the US if that matters for pricing.)

Quote Originally Posted by jbend9620 View Post
    hey guys, just filed my taxes and looking into picking up a tablet in the $300-$500USD range, pref. android and powerful. any suggestions?

Why Android in particular?

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post

Why Android in particular?
    "anything not apple" probably would have been better to say. because fuck being treated like a 10 year old.

edit: just want some mobile computing really. web browsing and the like. would not really be using it for job -related stuff.
    Last edited by jbend9620; January 27 2013 at 06:53:46 AM.

Nexus 10 would be the obvious answer. Main problem would be getting one. Maybe its better in the US, but here in germany they are sold out since 1-2 months. I check this 1-2 times a week just out of interest, not because I tinker with buying one. Honest.

It is rumored that they will announce a new version of it at the MWC in one month, btw, but even if they do I wouldn't bet on it being available soon after.

/edit: Also, define "mobile". Mobile as in "I can carry it" or as in "I want to access the internet anywhere". If the latter the cellular Nexus 7 version would be better. The iPad Mini with LTE is likely even better there, but, yes, Apple. Wouldn't get it myself for this reason as well, but it is a sexy device.
    Last edited by Aramendel; January 27 2013 at 07:55:57 AM.

Well if you want an LTE version... There is always this..

http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-...ular-20130125/

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Available, plenty of power and very useful.
    After testing it vs a Nexus 10, it is a more versatile tool.

Re: Tablet Shopping help

Hoping my mate will arrive out here on the 4th with a Galaxy 10....I think she said she was going to order from amazon
    Some call me Shatoon, bringer of corn. Others call me Mickey Nine, the dream weaver. Some call me Photoshop. Others call me Trenu, the boiler...

Bought a nexus 7 , very happy with it so far. Size and weight is great (small enough that I can carry it around in my pocket and use it as a MP3 player, but big enough that I can use it to surf and do tablet stuff with it)

Only problem I have is that I think the clock is retarded, it uses a 10 system but counts in hours, so if you want to set a 10 minute timer you type in 10 but if you want a timer that's 70 min long instead of typing 70 you have to put in 110 (one hour and ten minutes)

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    Bought a nexus 7 , very happy with it so far. Size and weight is great (small enough that I can carry it around in my pocket and use it as a MP3 player, but big enough that I can use it to surf and do tablet stuff with it)

Only problem I have is that I think the clock is retarded, it uses a 10 system but counts in hours, so if you want to set a 10 minute timer you type in 10 but if you want a timer that's 70 min long instead of typing 70 you have to put in 110 (one hour and ten minutes)
    get another clock?

Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post

Bug report that. Centiseconds are not a standard unit in this spacetime reality.

In the meantime just install another timer/clock app as others suggested.

Have the nexus 10. First impressions are great so far.
    I had a Xoom, but returned it after motorola broke the 3G functionality with a patch. This is miles apart from the xoom, screen is fantastic, battery life is awesome (if you have wifi model just leave it on flight mode permanently - you can still use wifi in flight mode).

Overall I've say I like it a lot, but, I'd recommend waiting for 3g variant. I was going to buy a wifi transmitter for it, but I'll probably settle for a third galaxy 2 battery for wifi hotspot shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by Proxay View Post
    battery life is awesome (if you have wifi model just leave it on flight mode permanently - you can still use wifi in flight mode).
    Err that's a bug so.

It's been in android forever. If you toggle flight mode on (i.e. turn all radios off) and then turn wifi back on it'll happily access your network while keeping everything else off. However doing it on a device with no mobile connection is a bit silly.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    It's been in android forever. If you toggle flight mode on (i.e. turn all radios off) and then turn wifi back on it'll happily access your network while keeping everything else off. However doing it on a device with no mobile connection is a bit silly.
    Mine seems to turn off flight mode when i do that, except it also doesnt turn everything else back on and I have to turn them on manually..

Perhaps an Asus fix? (This seems like the correct way to handle it)