hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: LOL - Support thread

Quote Originally Posted by FUzziBabes View Post
    If the support starts taking gold to try and help carry (for example deal extra damage) its doing its role incorrectly.
    This is the key point. You can argue "this support does X much more damage with Y farm", but at the final analysis you're trying to fit the champ into a role that is better filled by one that was designed for it. If you want to do damage, pick a carry.

aka Mitix

If you take blitz you want to win that lane, if you don't get a drag or a kill early (and if you play blitz you should be aiming to) you will need to give him gold from somewhere else if you want to keep the pressure up.

If you just want to babysit somone sitting in a bush watching them farm for 35 mins then you should not have taken blitz at all. You can play blitz with 0cs but hes better if you pile it on. People get to hung up that the current meta is the "correct" way to play and any variation is doing it wrong, it wasn't so long ago that sending AD carries mid was common.

You may end up having to give some farm to blitz if you want to keep pressure on and don't get a kill/drag/tower early but you are effectivly anteing that gold up towards gaining lane control, either more farm for you or more likely less for the opponents carry and hopefully a kill in your favour.
    Last edited by Irion; September 26 2011 at 08:26:29 AM.
    D&D is where I learned that a longsword is a one handed slashing weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Irion View Post
    People get to hung up that the current meta is the "correct" way to play and any variation is doing it wrong, it wasn't so long ago that sending AD carries mid was common.
    this. so many guys out there which want to force the fotm meta even if the enemy team gives a shit on fotm meta. our trist went bot, they had no support but renek and cait bot. i had talon picked and went bot with trist because top was premade (no team had jungle). still this trist told me "do not lasthit" - i just went "are you fucking serious?"

I actually don't agree with all farm to carry. I mean, sure in early game all farm goes to carry. But when he is leaving his lane to back, or move to help drake or get red etc you HAVE to take all the farm possible. Especially if you play a support that goes well with a few items like Sona Janna Taric there is really no reason not to get some gold. I would even sometimes leave my lane when i notice mid being low on hp to hold a mid for him and get more gold. This is not a top tier game we are talking about, it's normals or solo rankeds; no need to pretend you are better than you really are. Few items help me very much on support, don't know about you.

Anyway, there is a very edgy moment in game, when you win your bottom lane as support and you can leave your competent carry to solo against two and win a map control. Gank top, gank mid, help your jungler counterjungle, push top lane etc. Either their support or carry leave bottom to stop you playing 3vs4 on whole map and let your carry dominate his and take all farm, or they lose a game. I can't stress how important it is, especially if you can afford oracle +3-4 wards to get control of whole rest of a map. It won my game so many times and i really would like to see more of you knowing how you support midgame and lategame. Here is a cool replay for you to see, watch when i leave a lane and what i do:

http://ul.to/ke521krn

Note this is 1450+ game. Not super high but my trist played okish and gragas played very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Voulture View Post
    I actually don't agree with all farm to carry. I mean, sure in early game all farm goes to carry. But when he is leaving his lane to back, or move to help drake or get red etc you HAVE to take all the farm possible. Especially if you play a support that goes well with a few items like Sona Janna Taric there is really no reason not to get some gold. I would even sometimes leave my lane when i notice mid being low on hp to hold a mid for him and get more gold. This is not a top tier game we are talking about, it's normals or solo rankeds; no need to pretend you are better than you really are. Few items help me very much on support, don't know about you.

Anyway, there is a very edgy moment in game, when you win your bottom lane as support and you can leave your competent carry to solo against two and win a map control. Gank top, gank mid, help your jungler counterjungle, push top lane etc. Either their support or carry leave bottom to stop you playing 3vs4 on whole map and let your carry dominate his and take all farm, or they lose a game. I can't stress how important it is, especially if you can afford oracle +3-4 wards to get control of whole rest of a map. It won my game so many times and i really would like to see more of you knowing how you support midgame and lategame. Here is a cool replay for you to see, watch when i leave a lane and what i do:

http://ul.to/ke521krn

Note this is 1450+ game. Not super high but my trist played okish and gragas played very well.
    tbh I always assumed all farm to carry meant when they were present, not deliberately refusing to CS against a wave because he's not there. That's pants on head retarded.

Not exactly, it let a lane push thus allowing your carry to farm safer.

Agreeing with Omega, if the carry isn't there and the support is, then the support obviously is going to last hit but on the most part I feel the best course of action is for the carry to just push the lane up to the enemy tower and then both the carry + support recall together, otherwise that will probably mean the carry is left by himself while the support is back and will end up either being zoned or killed.
    With the way I play support I'm never moaning about not having much gold. Play properly, get assists, keep dragon control, help your carry stay alive, build gold per 5 and I never finding myself needing more farm for how I play.

Just a note can people who play support please take into account gold per 5 items, seen a few FHC support players building random stuff like catalyst first which seems so pointless on a support.

I tend to roll Faerie Charm, 3 wards + 2 health pots at level 1 and then get philo stone and t1 boots first recall, then get Heart of Gold -> Merc treads -> Kage's lucky pick and if I get this far I will probably build a second philo stone and upgrade one to the shurylia's reverie or however you spell it. By then the game is over but if not I will get a Will of the ancients if my team is Magic heavy (If we dont have one already) or Starks fervor if were AD heavy. Each recall I will buy Green wards/Pink ward (for dragon), Health pots and/or Oracles when I need them, I try not to leave base without at least 5 wards and most of the time an Oracle. People really do not get the value of vision hence why I roll Ward Bitch and just ward the fuck out of everything.
    With Merc Treads, HoG, Runes + masteries I'm still quite tough, along with the fact people don't really see supports with no items as much as a threat.

Thats how I play anyway...

fuzzi too good.

Getting wards every recall is one of the most important things. There is nothing more important on a support than wards, gp5 is nice, but if you buy one and end up visionless because of it... In some lanes it's even more crucial. If up against taric or alistar you need to ward those brushes.

Yes, gp10 items, wards, all good things to keep you and your team in the game. I usually only start with 1 ward because i find sona (my usual) too mana hungry without two faerie charms but if you trust your lane partner enough to not do stupid things you should be fine with just the one.

Also learning jungle routes and timings for those routes can be great to keep track of their jungler with CV. Brush and river should be warded so the CV is free for keeping your eyes on their missing champ.

orianna support, actually really good.

get philo, boots, kages lucky prick, cooldown boots and after that build AP.

the shield is kinda as good as janna's and the passive effect of having the ball on your carry is actually decent. can zone people with the ball also and the ult is great for getting kills for your carry.

at late game you basically turn into a underfarmed AP carry, but thats one more AP carry than the other team will have so its p.good

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post

the shield is kinda as good as janna's and the passive effect of having the ball on your carry is actually decent. can zone people with the ball also and the ult is great for getting kills for your carry.

at late game you basically turn into a underfarmed AP carry, but thats one more AP carry than the other team will have so its p.good
    p much how i played her on release, as i'm a baddie at last hitting, i'm quite effective with her or lux as support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

I think support might be the other role to jungler that I need to get good at, as I too am terrible at last hitting (except on easy mode champs like Irelia)

support is probably my main role tbh, ill only do it in premades/duos though, solo Q ill jungle

my pref support to play isnt what people want though ie, lux, ori and alister

I personally think Ori is way stronger mid just because her zoning is THAT good and she scales exceptionally well. But I can see support Ori in the same category as some other AP supports - less defensive, more zoning.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

so yeah support lux if you like it or not!

or ill sulk in the jungle on udyr

as edna will shout on ts

"IM A BEAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post

Every time I get Orianna, I want to do this, but everyone rages and wants me to do mid, which I hate.

e: wrong thread

content: im really starting to like support Nidalee in scrub elo, just won a game me Nid + MF vs imba Taric + Cait combo. Traps + heal get you to 6 reasonably safe (and little need for ward money with good trap placement), at 6 cougar makes you dps like youre 2 full blown damage dealers. The attack speed boost from heal on your carry lets you win almost any 2v2 botlane.
    Lategame targets are deathcap and banshees, rylais or hourglass if you get even more.
    Last edited by Lilalaunebör; October 1 2011 at 02:42:57 AM.

is support GP just a general support build into damage items rather than tank/auras?

if so count me in!

new favorite support ; gangplank

SO FUN, SO MUCH PUBES, SO MANY KILLS STOLEN, SO MUCH BASE DIVING

Support Orianna possible?