hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LOL - Support thread

LOL - Support thread

i think the role of support in lol is worth a bit of discussion and as to not clog up the general thread...

Who are viable supports and who are not?

Is the carry and support meta changing much or are we sticking with it for the forseeable future?

Sustain support (i.e soraka) vs agressive support (i.e. alistar)

Ways to make playing support more fun?

What combos are working well at the minute? caitlin taric? vayne and soraka?
    Last edited by filingo; September 22 2011 at 05:25:08 PM.
    No longer Deleting all your posts erryday due to butthurt
    usually pink or pinkest flamingo in other games

FREE NYAN CAT
    JUSTICE FOR AMANTU
    http://eve.enviroweb.org/

alistar + ???
    i really like alistar but i usually play him bot lane support with flash and teleport.
    i ll ward alright but i think teleport over cv is better sub 30

sadly this will have to change in a few levels.

[youtube]FrsTE1vpoXM[/youtube]

When was Poppy considered support? She's an anti-tank assassin, last I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    When was Poppy considered support? She's an anti-tank assassin, last I saw.
    ah we had a game where it was poppy and cait bottom, my bad

FREE NYAN CAT
    JUSTICE FOR AMANTU

yeah i think raponger needs to l2champs

Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post
    yeah i think raponger needs to l2champs
    i was playing with fhc guys and they had cait/poppy bottom lane on the other team - it seemed to work well and no one was like LOL WHAT THE FUCK, i guessed it was a normalish pick v0v

FREE NYAN CAT
    JUSTICE FOR AMANTU

Taric/Ali/Soraka/Sona/Janna best support with kayle/morgana/gangplank for lol supporting.

The sole purpose of the support is
    1. Buy wards
    2. Buy gold per 5 items
    3. Buy boots
    4. Buy wards
    5. Buy oracle
    6. Buy wards
    7. Buy other items if the game lasts long enough
    8. Buy wards

When I play support I end the game with boots, philo stone, heart of gold, kage's lucky pick and never really get past that, you should never take CS from your team and your gold should be spent on wards + oracles.
    You only buy other items if you are super loaded and already have an oracle/wards.

Thats how I see it anyways

Support broadly falls into two categories - in both categories, it is YOUR job to keep the carry alive and farmed. You don't take carry CS (unless they're not in lane), you ward your lane (and dragon) and you CV every time you can. Beyond that, you focus on lane control - there's a lot more to a support than sitting next to a carry and healing every now and then. You focus on lane control in a few ways including stuns and zoning. I'll go through a few of my favourite supports:

1) Janna. Janna is the best support in the game unless you're picking a very specific lane. She has good ways to set up carry harrass and a clutch-shield for saving people. Bonus points, the shield also gives AD, meaning your carry is guaranteed to win a 1v1 early game. Her weakness is a lack of heal and a skillshot hard disable.
    2) Taric. Taric is fabulous. Taric works best with strong early game harrassers or carries with their own CC - generally Caitlyn/Vayne. You stun people, they take a shit ton of damage and have to back, your carry gets freefarm. Since they nerfed heals Taric is best played as an agressive support constantly setting up stuns. Taric/Caitlyn is currently the #1 most broken lane in the game because of stun/trap.
    3) Sona. Sona is a strong team support but not actually that strong in a duo imo - sustained aura rotation depletes your mana pool quicker than most other spam supports and you have no disable 'till level 6. Take if you're with a lategame carry who needs looking after and isn't going to be looking to fight the lane too early, like Tristana or Ashe.
    4) Soraka. Decent support if you are wary of ganks or the enemy has a couple of nasty channelled spells, instant-cast silence is godlike. Also the #1 pick for countering Karthus. Heal is a bit 'meh', but the mana is godlike. Very good with an Ezreal pick for constant mana for endless Qs. Starfall is a useful harrass but will push the lane.
    5) Zilean. I heard you like bombs so I brought some bombs so you can explode while you explode. Support Zil is 100% zone them the fuck out of the lane with bombs. Also if anyone overextends slow them so the carry gets more damage on them. Nice pick vs a lane that has no heal, but Zil drinks mana like I drink Guinness.
    6) Alistar. I AM THE MAD COW RARRRGH. Very little to say about Alistar - you headbutt people away from your carry, if they wander blindly into range you pulverize them and knock them into vulnerable positions. You rely on your ult to become tanky as fuck with no farm.
    7) Lux. Actually one of my favourite supports - epic laning harrass and a great pick for a no-cc high damage carry like Corki or MF, since you have cc out the ass.

A word on Poppy: Poppy is used to counter the support-carry meta, and she counters it HARD. She's not viable as a support because she is one of the most farm dependent champions in the game, but she is a great counter. At level 6 you hit someone in lane with ult (whoever has the least CC, so in a Taric/MF lane I would hit the MF) and kill the carry. Rinse, repeat. You can ignore everything the support does to save the carry and kill them every 90s or so. If going AP you quickly hit a point where you can nuke the carry down even without ult.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    +rep yo post zekk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

Janna is the #1 support IMO right now.

She can let your lane play much more aggressively if you partner her with the right carry. MF, Ez, Corki and Cait are all good with Janna. Probably add Trisana to the list as well. Basically anyone who can be strong early in lane, so not Ashe.

use janna's knockup from the bush, then rush in, zephyr them while your shielded carry fucks them in the ass. This is also really fun to play and not at all boring like Taric. i should know, i am #1 janna in europe.

Also you can go mid as her and dominate any other champ in lane which is fun too

One game as Janna support was enough to show me how superior she was to any other support character. Even Alistar. She's such an active support character, can buff an AD to crazy levels and can make for some pretty clutch saves with the tornado and shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Grarr Dexx View Post
    One game as Janna support was enough to show me how superior she was to any other support character. Even Alistar. She's such an active support character, can buff an AD to crazy levels and can make for some pretty clutch saves with the tornado and shield.
    same can be said of karma tbh, only reason she isnt as popular is the need for farm, trust me if you could play her like the other supports with zero farm she would be #1 huhehuehue

Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post
    Janna is the #1 support IMO right now.

She can let your lane play much more aggressively if you partner her with the right carry. MF, Ez, Corki and Cait are all good with Janna. Probably add Trisana to the list as well. Basically anyone who can be strong early in lane, so not Ashe.

use janna's knockup from the bush, then rush in, zephyr them while your shielded carry fucks them in the ass. This is also really fun to play and not at all boring like Taric. i should know, i am #1 janna in europe.

Also you can go mid as her and dominate any other champ in lane which is fun too
    she doesn't dominate every ap carry mid, just most.

valid points though

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    same can be said of karma tbh, only reason she isnt as popular is the need for farm, trust me if you could play her like the other supports with zero farm she would be #1 huhehuehue
    Lack of hard disable will always hurt her viability no matter how she's played.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Lack of hard disable will always hurt her viability no matter how she's played.
    should have said im basing my argument on combined hard damage output

Yeah Karma doesn't save you. I mostly agree with Zekk, but I would say Sona should be played as an aggressive support. She does tons of damage if you max q, and then you just sit in your q aura giving free ad to carry. It's really strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Bob View Post
    Yeah Karma doesn't save you
    40% speed boost would like a word.

I'm trying to get good with support Taric. Sadly if you don't have a good lane partner in the beginning, you will find yourself wishing you went another route to pick up the slack.