hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 71 of 456 FirstFirst ... 21616869707172737481121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 9110

Thread: The Austerity Spiral? (obligatory loleconomics thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Chrien View Post
    So despite government austerity govt debt as a proportion of GDP is going up? But the solution is more austerity? If people believe that then I'd like to talk to them about a business opportunity I have with my Nigerian cousin
    Our debt to GDP ratio was heading upwards before the 2010 election. Indeed, the last budget before the election had us running at a deficit of 10% of GDP. It's not feasible to bring that deficit down inside of one budget period (i.e. one year), so it's being reduce piecemeal. The current argument in the UK isn't whether cuts should be made, it's about how many cuts should be made.

Quote Originally Posted by punkboy101 View Post
    It seems that some companies have come up with the perfect solution to cut cost's and increase profits.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/ju...ant-unemployed

It's not that I'm against people on benefits having to do a little volunteer work for their dole, but the fact that these people worked for a private company and didn't get paid is beyond unacceptable. Why should private corporation's, who no doubt get paid a significant chunk of cash for these things, be able to use what is effectively slave labor.
    It's not just that they were working for free 'or else' but that the dodgy company in question also neglected to organise adequate accommodation for them and left them to sleep under a bridge in the pissing rain, failed to provide basic sanitation etc.

What's that song say about 'Britons never ever ever' being slaves?

Who says irony is dead ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sykes View Post

They could have left at any point but they stayed to keep their benefit.

Unpaid work by jobseekers has questionable net benefits for the economy, but its not slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora148 View Post

Unpaid work by jobseekers has questionable net benefits for the economy, but its not slavery.
    I have no problem with people being asked to do work for the local council/government one or two days a week to keep their benefits. However expected to work for a private company that is charging the government for your services whilst you get fuck all is shitty, being told to sleep outside without providing tents/sleeping bags, food or access to a shitter/somewhere to change certainly isn't how anyone should be treated. How would you feel if this had happened to you or you're mum/dad/brother/sister/GF?best mate? I'd be pretty pissed personally.

As for leaving, you've been bused into central London from 4 hours away at 3 AM, trains and bus's aren't running, so what do you do? I suppose you could get a taxi which I'm sure is perfectly affordable to someone on the (soon to be lost for leaving) dole.
    yes, I am Le terribad at BF3

Quote Originally Posted by punkboy101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora148 View Post

I have no problem with people being asked to do work for the local council/government one or two days a week to keep their benefits. However expected to work for a private company that is charging the government for your services whilst you get fuck all is shitty, being told to sleep outside without providing tents/sleeping bags, food or access to a shitter/somewhere to change certainly isn't how anyone should be treated. How would you feel if this had happened to you or you're mum/dad/brother/sister/GF?best mate? I'd be pretty pissed personally.

As for leaving, you've been bused into central London from 4 hours away at 3 AM, trains and bus's aren't running, so what do you do? I suppose you could get a taxi which I'm sure is perfectly affordable to someone on the (soon to be lost for leaving) dole.
    Well if the company violated any health and safety or contractual obligations for the shelter and wellbeing of the stewards then they should definitely be prosecuted for it. Apparently they also told the stewards that it would be paid but then changed their minds once they were on the buses; another thing to nail them with.

Calling it slavery is still just hyperbole.

Would you prefer indentured servitude?

Exploitation.

It'd be the same if they were paid.

I have no issue with people working to maintain their benefits if they have shown themselves consistently unable to find employment for a prolonged period. I'm even ok with the government paying to have unemployable people given work experience. If the poor babies have to do spend a couple of days in difficult conditions to get a taste of the shit you sometimes have to deal with at work, then I'm OK with that as well.

What I dislike is the way this allows the companies involved to fill positions without paying anyone, at a time when we need people with purchasing power more than anything else.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Shouldnt this thread be named "The Austerity Helix"?

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.

Golden Dawns solution, slap everybody's shit http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18352258

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    I have no issue with people working to maintain their benefits if they have shown themselves consistently unable to find employment for a prolonged period. I'm even ok with the government paying to have unemployable people given work experience. If the poor babies have to do spend a couple of days in difficult conditions to get a taste of the shit you sometimes have to deal with at work, then I'm OK with that as well.

What I dislike is the way this allows the companies involved to fill positions without paying anyone, at a time when we need people with purchasing power more than anything else.
    The other problem is that if you allow companies to use free labour in this manner you're taking work away from the people who would otherwise be doing it.

Forcing people on benefits to work for free doesn't increase the number of jobs in the economy.

But Rodj, everyone knows forcing companies to pay a decent wage just results in them being crowded out of the market. Just look at how unemployment skyrocketed when the minimum wage was introduced!

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    The centrist position is the only logically tenable one. Everyone else is wrong.

/thread

So, eurozone encourages Spanish corruption reforms by giving the country buckets of money?

Seems legit.

Blah blah tapatalk
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

It's awful that these guys have no place to stay while they look for jobs! Some one should be helping them out, giving them a home and some stability while they try to get their life together!

What? Stay at my place? Fuck no.

The situation for the youth in Spain is incrediably depressing. The ramifications for Spanish society due to the massive scale of youth-unemployment is going to be long lasting

Giving the Spanish a 100 bn euro freebee with no strings will go down real well in Athens & Dublin. If Spain can get free cash without the conditions, why can't they? I expect "renegotiation" to be the buzzword of the week.

Max

spain's gdp is nearly 3 times that of greece and ireland put together. i suspect "do one" will be the words coming from the eu should "renegotiation" become the buzzword of the week.