hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boosters FAQ

Boosters FAQ

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:57 pm Post subject: Boosters FAQ

Credit goes to Elijah Maelstrom for this

edit: This is still a work in progress. I will update as I have time. Please continue to ask any questions you have and I will try to get them answered and added to the OP as I see fit.

IF YOU WANT TO HELP ME WITH THIS, PLEASE TRY TO ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS:
    -Do you have first-hand experience with your goods actually being confiscated?
    -If yes, did it happen in a 0.5 security system?
    -Did it happen in a system of security status anything other than 0.5?
    -Do you have first-hand experience getting caught with no customs on the outbound OR inbound gate?
    -In your experience, has there always been customs present on either the inbound or outbound gate when caught? (what I’m getting at here is… do your chances of getting caught drop to 0% if there are no customs present? Or does the presence of customs truly have absolutely no bearing on the calculations)
    -Does anyone know the base % chance of being caught?
    -If yes, is it based on a YES/NO you have illegal goods onboard, or is it calculated for every illegal good onboard? Every stack onboard? (in other words, are you more likely to be caught with a larger quantity of illegal goods onboard)

This FAQ will focus on the use and transport of boosters. Unless someone else comes forward with a write-up on production, this FAQ will only touch on the very basics of the manufacturing process, simply because I know little to nothing about it and have neither the time, resources, nor inclination to get into production.

1) What are some links related to boosters that you have found useful?
    2) What are boosters and how do they work?
    3) How many different types of boosters are there?
    4) Do boosters take up implant slots?
    5) How much do boosters cost?
    6) How do I use a booster?
    7) Do I get ALL these side effects when I take the booster!?
    8) How do I know which side effects I have?
    9) If I don’t like the side effects, can I destroy the booster and take another one?
    10) How long does a booster last?
    11) What skills affect boosters?
    12) Are there any implants that affect boosters?
    13) It says this booster is illegal. What’s up with that?
    14) How exactly does one get “caught”?
    15) If it’s illegal in highsec, how are there so many for sale in Jita?
    16) Am I going to get ganked by Customs if I use boosters in highsec?
    17) Can you setup a contract with boosters?
    18) WHY IS NANITE CONTROL SO F&*$ING EXPENSIVE!?!?
    19) Do boosters work with capital mods?
    20) Does Crash work with rockets/HAMs/torps?

1) What are some links related to boosters that you have found useful?

Manira link - http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/mani ... lained.pdf
    Probably the best single source of information regarding boosters. This is a .pdf file outlining boosters and their usage. It is written by Manira of Destructive Influence (DICE). It was written pre-Synth boosters, so it is not 100% up-to-date. There seems to be an updated version, but it is currently password protected on eve-files.

Eve wiki link: http://www.eve-wiki.net/index.php?title=Combat_Booster
    Another overview, but on the Eve wiki site.

Eve wiki link 2: http://www.eve-wiki.net/index.php?title ... ufacturing
    This is mostly manufacturing stuff, but includes some useful information such as the locations of the 0.0 COSMOS constellations.

Tuxford blog: http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=344
    The original dev blog on boosters from June 2006. Written by CCP Tuxford.

Apocrypha blog: http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=641
    Blog written in March 2009 detailing the changes to boosters that would come with the Apocrypha patch (mostly exploration/manufacturing stuff). Written by CCP Dropbear.

Database link: http://eve.stratics.com/db/
    really only useful to me while I was writing this FAQ because it lists base prices for items (which is needed for the calculation of fines)

Eve-Central link: http://eve-central.com/home/market.html
    Good market browser that works out-of-game and lists (mostly) updated prices

2) What are boosters and how do they work?

For a good overview, check out the Manira link.

Boosters are temporary boosts to certain attributes related to your ship in combat. They basically work like temporary implants. The Synth implants provide a 3% boost to the corresponding attribute and have no side effects. The standard, improved, and strong boosters have much stronger bonuses, but also have a chance for side effects. Please refer to the Manira link for specific details on this.

3) How many different types of boosters are there?

There are 8 different types of boosters. Each type comes in 4 different strengths: Synth, Standard, Improved, and Strong. This comes to a total of 32 unique boosters.

Blue Pill – gives a shield boost bonus
    Exile – gives an armor repair bonus
    Mindflood – gives a capacitor capacity bonus
    X-instinct – gives a signature radius bonus
    Drop – gives a turret tracking speed bonus
    Frentix – gives a turret optimal range bonus
    Sooth Sayer – gives a turret falloff range bonus
    Crash – gives a missile explosion radius bonus

For more details, including the strengths and side effects for each booster, please refer to the Manira link.

4) Do boosters take up implant slots?

No. Boosters have their own unique Booster slots. There are 3 different booster slots and the boosters are split up as follows:

Slot 1 - Blue Pill (shield boost)
    Slot 1 - Exile (armor rep)
    Slot 1 - Mindflood (cap)
    Slot 1 - X-instinct (sig radius)

Slot 2 - Drop (tracking speed)
    Slot 2 - Frentix (optimal)
    Slot 2 - Sooth Sayer (falloff)

Slot 3 – Crash (explosion radius)

At first glance, this doesn’t make much sense. Why put four different boosters in slot 1 but only one booster in slot 3? Closer examination will show you that ‘tanking’ type boosters go in slot 1, boosters that affect turrets go in slot 2, and crash (which affects missiles) goes in slot 3.

You can use 1 booster from each slot at a time (just like implants). In theory, this means you can use up to 3 different boosters at once.

5) How much do boosters cost?

My Jita alt is not in Jita atm so I have to go partially from memory, and partially from eve-central.

Synth - anywhere from 600k to 1.5mil each, depending on which booster it is and current supply/demand

Standard - 2.5 to 5mil each

Improved - harder to find, but seem to average 15 to 20mil each, though you may find some as low as 12mil and as high as 25mil.

Strong - Pretty hard to find, especially if you want something other than Blue Pill or Exile. Both of these clock in at around 65mil each.

for up-to-date prices, please consult the in-game market or Eve-Central

The reason why it's harder to find the better boosters has to do with the manufacturing process. The main component in booster manufacturing is gas from gas clouds. These gas clouds are found in abundance in exploration sites in specific 0.0 constellations, and in very limited quantity in lowsec exploration sites. Only one type of gas is available in each constellation, but to make the improved and strong boosters, you need to combine multiple different gases. (this may not be 100% correct, so someone please confrim/deny this)

note: you shouldn't run into this problem looking at the in-game market, but if you are doing a price search on a site like eve-central, you want to avoid anything that says "Pure (insert booster name)." Anything with pure in the name is part of the manufacturing process and not something you can actually use as a booster.

6) How do I use a booster?

First, make sure you have the necessary skills.

Synth - Science 1, Biology 1
    Standard - Science 1, Biology 1
    Improved - Science 1, Biology 2
    Strong - Science 1, Biology 3

Next, once you have the booster, right-click on the booster and select the "Consume" option. Once you have done this, your Character Sheet will blink. Open it and go to the Augmentations tab. Underneath any implants you have installed, you will be able to see the current boosters you are using, the active effects of said boosters (including side effects), and the time remaining on the booster(s).

7) Do I get ALL these side effects when I take the booster!?

Probably not. Each booster (excluding Synth) has 4 possible side effects. The chance for getting each side effect is calculated individually. So it’s possible to end up with all 4 side effects, but it’s also possible (and more likely) to end up with no side effects at all.

The chance of side effects is based on 3 things: strength of the booster, skills, and possible implants. The Manira link has a good table at the bottom which accounts for strength and skills, copied here:

Code:
    Side effect chance per level:
    Neurotoxin recovery Standard Improved Strong
    1 19% 28,5% 38%
    2 18% 27% 36%
    3 17% 25,5% 34%
    4 16% 24% 32%
    5 15% 22,5% 30%

To add implants is a fairly simple calculation. The only implants that affect the chance for side effects are the Hardwiring - Eifyr and Co. 'Alchemist' XA-1 and XA-2. These are slot 10 implants and give a 3% and 5% reduction in the chance of side effects, respectively.

8) How do I know which side effects I have?

See answer 6. Open up your Character Sheet, go to the Augmentations tab, and scroll to the bottom. Active boosters should be listed there along with the active side effects.

9) If I don’t like the side effects, can I destroy the booster and take another one?

As far as I can tell, no. This would make sense from a balance perspective. If you were able to do this, people would just consume and destroy until they either get no side effects or side effects that don’t mean anything (e.g. a –armor rep amount on a shield tanking ship).

10) How long does a booster last?

The base duration for all boosters is 30 minutes.

The Biology skill increases this time by 20% per level.

The slot 8 implants, Hardwiring - Eifyr and Co. 'Alchemist' WA-1 and WA-2 increase duration for 5% and 10%, respectively.

Note that since you need Biology level I to use Synth and Standard boosters, the shortest possible duration for these is 36 minutes.
    Biology II is needed for Improved boosters, so the shortest possible duration for these is 42 minutes.
    Biology III is needed for Strong boosters, so the shortest possible duration for these is 48 minutes.

The formula should look something like this: [30min] * (1 + [Biology Skill Level] / 5) * [Implant Modifier]

The implant modifier is simply 1.05 for the WA-1, and 1.10 for the WA-2.

So, the maximum possible duration for a booster would be with Biology V and the WA-2 implant: [30] * (1 + [5]/5) * (1.10) = 66 minutes.

11) What skills affect boosters?

It’s already been mentioned that you need Science I and Biology I to use the Synth and Standard Boosters, Biology II for Improved boosters, and Biology III for Strong boosters.

Science - this skill does not actually affect boosters, it only enables the training of the Biology skill. A lot of people start with this in their skillsheet, but if you haven't, it's readily available from NPC school stations for 18k ISK

Biology – increases booster duration by 20% per level. This skill is available from NPC school stations for 22.5k ISK.

Nanite Control – decreases severity of side effects by 5% per level. The prerequisite for this skill is Science IV. This is a science skill, not to be confused with any of the mechanic skills (Nanite Operation, Nanite Interfacing, and Nanite Engineering). This skill is a rare drop in certain exploration sites and is therefore only available to buy from other players. Current prices are around 325-350mil. This will be covered more in depth later.

Neurotoxin Recovery – decreases the chance of a negative side effect by 5% per level. The prerequisite for this skill is, unfortunately, Nanite Control I. The good news is that, once you acquire the Nanite Control book, the Neurotoxin Recovery book is available from the NPC school stations for only about 15mil. (edit: This one might come from players as well, not from NPCs)

12) Are there any implants that affect boosters?

Yes. The ‘Alchemist’ line of implants affects boosters.

Slot 8
    Hardwiring - Eifyr and Co. 'Alchemist' WA-1
    Hardwiring - Eifyr and Co. 'Alchemist' WA-2
    Booster duration. WA-1 gives a 5% bonus; WA-2 gives a 10% bonus.

Slot 9
    Hardwiring - Eifyr and Co. 'Alchemist' YA-1
    Hardwiring - Eifyr and Co. 'Alchemist' YA-2
    Severity of side effects. YA-1 reduces severity by 3%; YA-2 reduces severity by 5%.

Slot 10
    Hardwiring - Eifyr and Co. 'Alchemist' XA-1
    Hardwiring - Eifyr and Co. 'Alchemist' XA-2
    Reduction in chance of side effects. XA-1 gives 3% reduction; XA-2 gives 5% reduction.

Slot 8 (cont.)
    Hardwiring - Eifyr and Co. 'Alchemist' ZA-0
    Hardwiring - Eifyr and Co. 'Alchemist' ZA-1
    Hardwiring - Eifyr and Co. 'Alchemist' ZA-2
    These do not affect the performance of boosters, but give a 1/3/5% reduction in the cycle time of gas harvesters, so are loosely related.

13) It says this booster is illegal. What’s up with that?

It’s true; boosters are contraband in empire space. If caught, you are subject to fines (ISK), standing loss to the faction that catches you, and sometimes even confiscation of the goods! Check the Legality tab on the boosters you’re carrying. It states:

”Caldari State: standing loss 0.10, confiscation in sec = 0.50, fine 200.00% of estimated market value”

This same message is repeated for all the Empire factions. So now, let’s break this down and explain exactly what happens when you are caught.

A) standing loss 0.10 – This one is pretty straight forward. You lose 0.10 in faction standings to the faction that catches you.

B) confiscation in sec = 0.50 – You know CCP and their mysterious stats. When I first read this, I interpreted it as you get your shit ganked in any system at or above 0.5. However, I can confirm that I did NOT have my goods confiscated in a 0.8 or a 0.6 security system. I have yet to be caught in a 0.5 security system, but it now appears that you will have your goods confiscated ONLY if caught in a 0.5 system. Looking for someone to confirm this. Anything lower, you obviously don’t have to worry about dodging police/customs. Anything higher and it seems you are only subject to the fine and the standing loss. Which bring us to the fine.

C) fine 200.00% of estimated market value – sounds like some shady calculation, but once you’re caught you can easily figure out what this is. To figure what the fine will be when/if you get caught, use the following formula: [Total Quantity of Boosters Onboard] * 65,536. How did I come up with this?

I was caught with 10x Standard Exile Boosters in my cargo and was fined 655,360.00 ISK. So let’s work backwards. I had 10 boosters onboard, so 655,360 / 10 = 65,536. This is the multiplier used in my formula. But just to double check, let’s keep going and figure out the estimated market value. If you’re fined 200%, that’s double, so 65,536 / 2 = 32,768. It would seem that the estimated market value of my Standard Exile boosters is 32,768 ISK p/u.

As it turns out, this is the “estimated market value” of ALL boosters. Instead of estimated market value, the calculation actually uses the base price of the boosters, a stat that can be found in the database. This information used to be available in the item database on the eve-o site, but it seems to have disappeared. However, the database linked in the first answer does still list base prices of items. You can check for yourself to see that all boosters have a base price of 32,768: http://eve.stratics.com/db/ Click “Implants & Boosters” on the right, and then “Boosters” and you should get the full list.

note: Synth boosters have a base price of 8,192.00 ISK, but since they are not illegal, we don’t need to worry about any additional calculations.

more to come...

fake edit: here's original OP until I finish updating the FAQ:

I'd like this thread to turn into a FAQ of sorts for boosters. I'll start with my questions, and I may update the OP as information comes in.

A few questions:
    -How does transporting them thru high-sec work?
    --How fast do customs lock compared to faction police? about the same?
    --Do they also web before scram?
    --What actually happens when they catch you?
    -Where do you get the Nanite Control book?
    -Any other general booster information you would like to share?

This is what I know so far:
    I bought some standard exile in Jita, and while transporting it on a noob alt, I got caught 2 different times. They were never able to lock me, but you get stuck in jump queue with a pop-up saying something along the lines of "Customs caught you. Do you wanna give up your shit?" I hit "YES" the first time... 650k fine, 0.1 standing hit to Amarr Empire, they never took my shit (it was in a can... maybe this has something to do with it?) Second time I hit "NO" just to see what would happen. Exact same thing, 650k fine, 0.1 standing hit, they never took my shit, and never got a lock on me.

Just to add to this point, maybe someone can confirm this for me: the ISK penalty seems to scale with the amount of drugs you are caught with. The standings hit may do the same, but I'm not 100% sure on this

Someone pointed out in one of the marketplace threads that if you empty your wallet, they can't fine you so that's a solution to the fine, but I don't think you can get around the standing hit unless you are able to avoid jumping thru gates that have Customs on the other side (scout it with another alt)

JahilRayne has tried the 'empty the wallet' trick and apparently your wallet just goes negative

I'm assuming the Nanite Control skillbook drops in a plex or some type of exploration site? No way in hell im paying 300m+ for that damn book.

JahilRayne says it drops from a low/0.0 Ladar site. A bit more investigation found that there are 2 different sites that it drops from. The first is a Guristas Ladar site called "H-PA Crew" which can spawn in lowsec or 0.0. The other is a Radar site in the 0.0 COSMOS constellations (gas cloud constellations). The locations of these constellations can be found on the wiki page linked at the top. Please note I've never done exploration so I don't know anything about this other than what I've found on forums.

Re: Boosters FAQ

Nice proper info... wanted to do this a long time ago. Good Job of making this info public.

Yes, boosters are illegal, and if you do not pay your fine it might go bad...
    I was not paying attention, fiddling with other stuff until I realized I was getting pewed.

The funniest thing was that a T2 hauler scooped my loot and got pewed by the customs too.

way to totally rip off all my work
    in-game: Elijah Maelstrom

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom
    way to totally rip off all my work
    I never took credit for any of the thread I copy/pasted onto here, I just moved them quickly before they were lost forever. If you could PM me the in-game names of all the thread authors I will gladly edit them into the titles because of :effort: to look through google's cache myself.

Smuggo

Ughh stupidly forgot I had all my boosters in a JF when I jumped into high-sec, all 100m or so worth got confiscated and a fine plus standings hits but the JF didn't get the shit shot out of it thankfully.

oh i didnt see you copy/pasted the whole forum... my bad
    in-game: Elijah Maelstrom

I love me some drugs.

The original SHC thread devolved into a multi-page discussion about how best to move boosters through highsec without getting fucked by customs. The consensus was that the only secure way to accomplish this was in the corp hangar of an Orca and that covops, high agility, etc etc were insufficient to customs hax.

To my knowledge, Incursion 1.4 introduced customs scanning of corp hangars as well. So I don't know that there's anyway to safely move boosters through highsec short of finding a route without any customs officials.
    Quote Originally Posted by joe space View Post
    burning straight up when surrounded by bad guys... when you explode you will be a rising beautiful testament to el33t pvp escaping into the ether above those beneath you and they will immediately realize, upon viewing your bold presence above them, their inferiority and they will feel bad for what they done.
    EVE: Raz Lictor
    WoT: ArmoredPie

i move mine in my booster alt. Never get caught as long as i cloak.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post
    Im serious.
    That's the sad part.

I am the 99.99998% Tyrus Tenebros's Avatar

I'm addicted to drugs at this point.

Boosters 4 lyfe.
    I tried to be cool and all I got was a lousy warning about my sig being too big.

Confirming Tordin's point, as long as you move drugs in a cloaky ship, making sure to cloak as soon as you attempt to warp off a gate and spam jump immediately on landing on a gate, you should never be caught. Unless, as I often do, you forget about your alt for 10 seconds and look back to see him decloaked on a gate with customs trying to steal your drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz

To my knowledge, Incursion 1.4 introduced customs scanning of corp hangars as well. So I don't know that there's anyway to safely move boosters through highsec short of finding a route without any customs officials.
    Just found out this nerf having to hand over 20 Standards. The only reason I trained my alt for an Orca lol

Quote Originally Posted by Raimo

Just found out this nerf having to hand over 20 Standards. The only reason I trained my alt for an Orca lol
    Yeah, I was considering training my hauler alt into an Orca for the same purpose. Glad I hadn't gotten around to it yet.
    burning straight up when surrounded by bad guys... when you explode you will be a rising beautiful testament to el33t pvp escaping into the ether above those beneath you and they will immediately realize, upon viewing your bold presence above them, their inferiority and they will feel bad for what they done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaster Arcturus
    Confirming Tordin's point, as long as you move drugs in a cloaky ship, making sure to cloak as soon as you attempt to warp off a gate and spam jump immediately on landing on a gate, you should never be caught. Unless, as I often do, you forget about your alt for 10 seconds and look back to see him decloaked on a gate with customs trying to steal your drugs.

Confirming this still works no problem, losses are pilot error

FWIW the improved/strong prices are alittle off. Improved (exiles in my experience) can be as low as 7-8. And last time I moved strong mindflood it was under 30m each. Or maybe my deals are too good B)

yeah prices spiked on mindflood when delve got invaded. it was probably opportunistic rather than a true lack of gas.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1008/Drug_effectsv1.zip

Here's a little spreadsheet I made that converts your skills / implants into the probabilities of side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy Past
    http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1008/Drug_effectsv1.zip

Here's a little spreadsheet I made that converts your skills / implants into the probabilities of side effects.
    EFT does this too. Not to diminish the usefulness of the sheet, but I like things self-contained whenever possible.

Random thought, and I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere. Could you put the drugs inside a ship (an imicus or something) and then place that ship inside the orca? Basically does customs scan the SMA of the orca?

Quote Originally Posted by xanral
    Random thought, and I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere. Could you put the drugs inside a ship (an imicus or something) and then place that ship inside the orca? Basically does customs scan the SMA of the orca?
    afaik this does not work but i havent tested it recently, all my orca pilots cant enter hisec....