hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [Devblog] News From The Fontlines

Super Ponerator Global Moderator Evelgrivion's Avatar

[Devblog] News From The Fontlines

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=2401

Ola!

I'm CCP Punkturis of Team BFF and I'm here to talk about font changes. Yup you heard me F O N T changes!

I know you have all had problems with differentiating between I1, O0, 5S, 6G&, 8B and I don't blame you:

So let me present Eve Sans Neue, where you can see the difference between letters:

Weíre still tuning this, donít worry if some screenshots look a bit wonky right now. The font is, for example, sitting a bit too high at the moment so it seems like thereís not enough space above it at times, but that will be fixed.

All about it

Eve Sans Neue is a refinement of the original Eve Sans font. The design was revised, it was technically updated and readability has been improved. Among other updates, it now contains native Cyrillic characters, different fonts for different size groups, and a rounder form that improves legibility.

To get the new font to render the best we could we had to update our version of FreeType. While we were at it, we decided to change our approach of using FreeType slightly and move more of the work into C++, rather than Python. This results in a significant speed boost in text rendering, meaning we spend less time opening up new windows in EVE. We've also changed how we handle characters that don't exist in our font. We used to search through your Windows Fonts folder for some preferred fallback fonts, then failing that, searching for the font with the most characters in it. Now we've simply licensed the Arial Unicode font and provide that with the EVE client, using it to render any characters not available in the EVE font.

Label styles

We didnít have much consistency in the way we displayed labels. So to make the look of EVE more consistent we created just a few label styles and applied those to the existing labels. That means some of the text will be smaller than it was before, and some will be larger. This also means that maintaining the labels and making style changes in the future will be a walk in the park.

"I DON'T TYPE IN CAPS CAUSE I'M MAD I TYPE IN CAPS BECAUSE I'M LAZY!!!" - Kanye West

EVE was full of uppercase labels. I kind of felt sometimes like the client was screaming at me; anyone else feel the same? So we removed a lot of the uppercasing. It's our opinion that the text is more readable now.

A good example of this is the esc menu. Here's how it was before:

And here's how it is now:

I know this is quite a lot of change in something that many of you spend a lot of time staring at so it's probably going to take some time getting used to. Some people at the office thought it was a bit wonky at first but quickly started to like it.

Try it out and post!
    Since there are endless things you guys do in EVE and we have probably not covered all of the use cases, we want to ask you to try it out on Singularity (real soon) and then report all issues in this thread.

Let us know if you find text that doesn't fit in windows, let us know if you notice that the wrong font is being used. Let us know if you see anything you don't like! Try typing in the chat and see if the correct font is being used (especially you guys who type in "weird" languages - I'm Icelandic and I consider Icelandic not weird).

Note that this is still work in progress!

We will be monitoring this thread and we'll try to get to things as quickly as possible.

I really hope this change is going to make life easier and EVE more readable for you all,

Thank you for listening!
    Last edited by Evelgrivion; September 20 2011 at 01:31:09 PM.

Smuggo
    All this for a new font. Why not just use a font that already exists you fucking maniacs?

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    All this for a new font. Why not just use a font that already exists you fucking maniacs?
    also the new font looks like shit.

why do these vikings always have to reinvent the fucking wheel?

esc menu looks worse in lower case.

ccp changes font

releases devblog

gg ccp
    No longer Deleting all your posts erryday due to butthurt
    usually pink or pinkest flamingo in other games

FREE NYAN CAT
    JUSTICE FOR AMANTU
    http://eve.enviroweb.org/

New font kind of reminds me of the slightly wonky fonts from text-heavy mid-80s adventure/RPG games, and I agree that the current esc menu is pretty much fine. However, better legibility is a definite improvement, so eh.

This is where we find out this is actually the other devblog the CSM has been hinting at

I don't know if its my eyes, my screen or that font but it makes my eyes go funny after awhile, it almost looks like the font is going up and down due to the capital letter at the start of each word on the tabs.

Jesus...all the problems with Eve and this is what they spend their time on. Why use the wheel when you can just reinvent it in the shape of an octagon? I facepalmed so hard I broke by nose.
    Hi.

New font is a huge improvement, shut your whining.

Quote Originally Posted by slight View Post
    New font is a huge improvement, shut your whining.
    You Must Be New Here.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by corywyn View Post

Aye, they fuck about with their own font for more than a year and then go ahead and license Arial anyway as a fallback font??? Truly amazing. This falls in the same realm as them restarting their own avatar engine 3 times and then using UTSDK for Dust in the end anyway.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Quote Originally Posted by filingo View Post
    ccp changes font

releases devblog

gg ccp
    I'm still waiting for the devblog: Hilmar Takes a Dump.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    What I find funny is that I remember the hubbub about the font from the font changes very early on. Now it is (at least) six years after that and CCP finally comes round to fixing it. What's next? Finally fixing COSMOS?
    Just FYI, COSMOS works pretty much OK and has done for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubutai View Post
    Just FYI, COSMOS works pretty much OK and has done for quite some time.
    COSMOS is broke. They forgot about when they released it!!!!

Banned
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    I'm still waiting for the devblog: Hilmar Takes a Dump.
    Also known as 'Incarna'.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    Also known as 'Incarna'.
    :golfclap:

also, those setting screens indicate pmuch that the author doesn't actually play this game
    </bittervetfreethrow>
    Last edited by RoemySchneider; September 20 2011 at 01:04:30 PM.

Fairly certain this thread should be called 'news from the font lines'
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Quote Originally Posted by corywyn View Post

The old font actually looks good on the menus, the new one looks like text pasted to a background giving an amateur feel.

Agreed though, there's hundreds of really good free and cheap pixel fonts, why you'd use that pile of shite over any of them I've no clue but then

Hmm I remember the last time EVE switched fonts...

I'm not too happy with the new font tbh. Not just whining to whine here but it doesn't look like a :spaceshipsgame: font and perhaps even a bit amateurish.

Like somebody said: kind of reminds me of old RPG's.

Here's a link to the oldschool eve online font : http://www.mobygames.com/images/shot...ic-warfare.jpg
    Last edited by Redclaws; September 20 2011 at 01:25:14 PM.

Super Ponerator Global Moderator Evelgrivion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    Fairly certain this thread should be called 'news from the font lines'
    And you'd be right. Fixed.