hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Scanning Wormholes Like A Boss

Scanning Wormholes Like A Boss

Whats the point of this guide?

So when you jump into a wh, you can scan more effectively. Hopefully you will learn to identify signatures into 'hard, medium, easy' categories. Using this method you can 'ninja scan' straight for the wh's static, while ignoring all the other sigs, or scan specifically for whatever your looking for.

*Sig % strength have changed a lot since the patch a few months ago,, but you still separate the signatures into 'easy, medium, hard'**

What To Do

-Refer to the screenshot above for probe placement.
    -Sometimes holes can be big, or planets in funky placements,, try and be creative with the z-axis, or use 2 probes that do not overlap. Also important to keep them equal distance from the center.

What Does Easy, Average and Hard Mean?!

-There are three categories all non-wormhole signatures in w-space can fall into.
    -Learn to place probes and identify the 3 'groups' of % strengths that you get.

Note:
    -Some outbound wh's strengths do not fit into the 3 categories and stick out, they are easily identifiable, otherwise the rest of the whs fall into the 3 categories
    -There will be % strenght deviation, but if done right they won't overlap into your other 'categories'

Understanding The Numbers

A great free IGB WH tool is www.wormnav.com. That tool also has the signature sizes that this guide uses. Siggy is another amazing wormhole tool, but it is for private use only.

Siggy/Wormnav Translation

Size 10 = Easy
    Size 6.67 = Between Medium/Hard
    Size 5 = Medium
    Size 4 = Harder Than Medium
    Size 2.5 = Hard
    Size 2.2 = Harder than hard

Non-Wormhole Signature Strengths

Size 10 = Shitty Ladars, Shitty Gravs
    Size 5 = Average Ladars, Average Gravs
    Size 2.5 = Good Ladars, Good Gravs, Radars, Mags

Wormholes That Go To
    k162 - 10 (easy)

Hisec
    A641 - 10 (easy)
    B274 - 10 (easy)
    D792 - 2.5 (hard)
    D845 - 6 (medium)
    N110 - 10 (easy)

Lowsec
    A239 - 5 (medium)
    C140 - 5 (medium)
    J244 - 5 (medium)
    N944 - 5 (medium)
    U210 - 10 (easy)

Nullsec
    E545 - 2.5 (hard)
    K346 - 2.5 (hard)
    R943 - 2.2 (harder than hard)
    S199 - 10 (easy)
    Z060 - 2.5 (hard)
    Z142 - 10 (easy)

C1
    P060 - 5 (medium)
    Y790 - 2.5 (hard)
    V301 - 5 (medium)
    Z647 - 10 (easy)
    Z971 - 10 (easy)

C2
    C125 - 6.67 (between medium and easy)
    D364 - 2.2 (harder than hard)
    D382 - 6.67 (between medium and easy)
    G024 - 2.2 (harder than hard)
    L182 - 4 (harder than medium)
    L477 - 5 (medium)
    N766 - 4 (harder than medium)
    R943 - 6.67 (between medium and easy)

C3
    C247 - 10 (easy)
    L477 - 5 (medium)
    M267 - 2.2 (harder than hard)
    N968 - 10 (easy)
    O477 - 5 (medium)
    X702 from hisec - 5 (medium)
    X702 from lowsec - 10 (easy)

C4
    E175 - 5 (medium)
    T405 - 6.67 (between easy and medium)
    X877 - 6.67 (between easy and medium)
    Y683 - 4 (harder than medium)
    Z457 - 4 (between hard and medium)

C5
    H296 - 10 (easy)
    H900 - 2.5 (hard)
    M555 - 2.5 (hard)
    N062 - 2.5 (hard)
    N432 from 0.0 - 10 (easy)
    N432 from Low - 2.5 (hard)
    N770 - 2.5 (hard)
    V911 - 10 (easy)

C6
    A982 - 2.2 (harder than hard)
    R474 - 2.2 (harder than hard)
    S804 - 2.2 (harder than hard)
    U574 - 2.2 (harder than hard)
    V753 - 6.67 (between easy and medium)
    W237 - 6.67 (between easy and medium)

Now Scan Forward Ye Minions!

If this guide has not made you fall asleep yet, here's a boring video of me scanning!

Need to give a shout-out to Robert Fish for introducing me to this concept, and giving me his list to add to my own.
    Also need to give credit to Wrack for sharing his sig list with me, helping make this list more complete (and accurate)
    Thanks to Two Step for double checking some inconsistency's .

Before I get flamed by a ton of bitter vets, I'd just like to say:

This is an old tutorial I've had for my corp for ages. Figured I might as well share this for those that may not know about it. But for most serious wormholers this is old news.
    Basically, I'm trying to compile a complete list of wormhole signature size's. This is my collection of holes that I've manually scanned and wrote down. So I probably am missing a few wormholes, esp. the lower class ones as I don't come across them all too often. I feel that I've gotten 95% of holes a normal c5 static dweller would come across daily. If you guys notice that I'm missing any, please post and I'll add it to the list. And yes, this list may be innacurate, but its better than nothing. The people that possess the uber databases won't share their hard earned intel for free, and I don't blame them.
    People and corps in wormholes are generally very secretive about this type of knowledge, I don't give a shit,, so here you go failheap...........your welcome Just please don't pass it on to the asshats at battleclinic or eve-online forums!

PS. Can an admin help me fix the size of my screenshot so it doesnt break the page? thx
    Last edited by lazydane; September 15 2011 at 12:24:42 AM. Reason: Updated Sigs

I cba to read since I don't play EvE anymore (ofc) but that seems well explained and very useful.

+ rep

nice. ty.

good call about putting the probe out in deep space. i'd always tried from the sun when i cba to move it at all, but deep space like that makes more sense.

As far as I know, the sig strength never change, so the variation of % on your hit is due to how close the sig is to your center,, so having everything as equally far from the center should give a good result. Could be wrong.

I was aware of the idea but had never really looked into it. This is a pretty nice explanation of things and should make my daily scanning grind a little easier.

FEARLESSdot Alliance (cause Cue is a fag)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=CIjI4lI#gid=6

My spreadsheet. It calculates the hit strength for you, includes corrections for wolf-rayet and pulsar (which affect signature radius, which affects hit strength), and is damn close to complete with respect to wormholes. This is for a single 256 AU deep space probe placed in-system, rather than far off.

Quote Originally Posted by lazydane View Post
    As far as I know, the sig strength never change, so the variation of % on your hit is due to how close the sig is to your center,, so having everything as equally far from the center should give a good result. Could be wrong.
    afaik, you are right. still, it never dawned on me how bad a sun centered probe was. when i really really can be bothered i go with the deep space probe for no deviation like wrack said (and thanks for the sheet.)

WHs are hard.

@wrack
    Thx man! Ill try and merge your list into mine (with due credit ofc).
    <3

It's kind of a shame that incarna halved the hit strength from a single probe. It's hard to tell 2.2s from 2.5s with a 256-AU DSP now. I used to get one showing up as 0.10-0.11% and the other as 0.12-0.13%, but now they both tend be be 0.06%. So using a 128-AU DSP might actually increase accuracy, except in very large solar systems.

I must admit that I've never tried moving the probe so all planets are near the outer edge.

Ok wrack, I've gone through your list and updated my own, was missing some of the c1 and c6 outbounds
    Of the wormholes we shared, our data was spot on expect for 4 conflicts.
    I have;
    U574 as 2.2 while yours is 2.5
    C247 as 6.67 yours 10
    V301 as 4 yours 5
    C140 as 4 yours 5

I'll have to go double check these when I get the chance. You also mentioned wolf rayets effect the strength of the signature, I have never thought about this before,, maybe this could be why my results are off??

Actually I apparently have U574 listed as both 2.2 and 2.5. The others I guess we'll have to find and double-check. They should be pretty common, except for V301.

I am not really playing EVE these days, but if you fix it, let me know and i'll update the page.

Quote Originally Posted by lazydane View Post
    Ok wrack, I've gone through your list and updated my own, was missing some of the c1 and c6 outbounds
    Of the wormholes we shared, our data was spot on expect for 4 conflicts.
    I have;
    U574 as 2.2 while yours is 2.5
    C247 as 6.67 yours 10
    V301 as 4 yours 5
    C140 as 4 yours 5

I'll have to go double check these when I get the chance. You also mentioned wolf rayets effect the strength of the signature, I have never thought about this before,, maybe this could be why my results are off??
    U574 is 2.2
    C247 10
    V301 5
    C140 5

the audio you used for the youtube is fantastic. wasn't expecting that much hilariousness. Probably old don't care though +rep for that.

Quote Originally Posted by two step View Post
    U574 is 2.2
    C247 10
    V301 5
    C140 5
    fixed, thx.

Very nice, that's some helpful advice right there! Especially that bit at the bottom on the right.