Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Twitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodj Blake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    It's pretty fun popcorn watching it implode.
    C

Any suggestions for alternatives? (for realtime event news that isn't facebook or newsnow)
    Mastodon
    Mastodon is indeed the obvious choice for the short-medium term.

However, consider the following...

Musk laid off half the workforce and (according to some reports) three quarters of the remainers decided to go home when Musk gave his "go hardcore or go home" ultimatum.

That's a lot of coders, moderators, marketing types, and high-level executives with experience of doing social media things twiddling their thumbs. I wouldn't bet against at least one group of them having something good ready to go within a year.

Best part of this is watching one of my coworkers, who has been saved by the almighty Musk, shuffling about nervously with a slight twitch in his right eye. Think I'll suggest to him next week that I might consider buying Tesla stocks now that they've dropped more than 50% which was something I said last year when he was pestering me about it.
    Tesla shares are still vastly overpriced though.
    For "shares" in a company that does not now, nor will not ever, pay dividends, there really is no fair pricing above 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Quaan View Post

For "shares" in a company that does not now, nor will not ever, pay dividends, there really is no fair pricing above 0.
    Nicely put, but you forget about the "bigger fool" principle. That works very well, just look at the whole of the crypto market.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    It's pretty fun popcorn watching it implode.
    C

Any suggestions for alternatives? (for realtime event news that isn't facebook or newsnow)
    Mastodon
    Mastodon is indeed the obvious choice for the short-medium term.

However, consider the following...

Musk laid off half the workforce and (according to some reports) three quarters of the remainers decided to go home when Musk gave his "go hardcore or go home" ultimatum.

That's a lot of coders, moderators, marketing types, and high-level executives with experience of doing social media things twiddling their thumbs. I wouldn't bet against at least one group of them having something good ready to go within a year.

Best part of this is watching one of my coworkers, who has been saved by the almighty Musk, shuffling about nervously with a slight twitch in his right eye. Think I'll suggest to him next week that I might consider buying Tesla stocks now that they've dropped more than 50% which was something I said last year when he was pestering me about it.
    Musk is already using SpaceX cash to buy Twitter advertising, and he won't scruple to do the same with Tesla's money.

Hold off a little longer. You'll be able to get the shares at a better discount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

all of my not giving a fucks
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jiensai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Quaan View Post

Nicely put, but you forget about the "bigger fool" principle. That works very well, just look at the whole of the crypto market.
    "Market" pricing is rarely "fair".

A tech company without dedicated internal IT department? Just by that I would say the company has months left.

I would not expect any ticking bomb code as companies code review are much stricter compared to a decade or two ago.

The question is what new vulnerabilities gonna pop-up in the coming months as none left to patch it up.

Also not on Twitter, enough hateful speech.
    So Trump was reinstated.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Quote Originally Posted by DerWish View Post
    A tech company without dedicated internal IT department? Just by that I would say the company has months left.

I would not expect any ticking bomb code as companies code review are much stricter compared to a decade or two ago.

The question is what new vulnerabilities gonna pop-up in the coming months as none left to patch it up.
    It also doesn't have a payroll or tax department now lmao

So

End of this month is a more probable timescale, and definitely really serious problems by the end of December. Brace for incoming tweets from the muskrat about how people should be hardcore enough to work for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

It's gonna be really hard to unfuck this clusterfuck twitter had become.

This is prime entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post

And we are talking about well paid people, who can easily afford lawyers.
    This is all very entertaining, unfortunately also very sad. lots of innocent people caught in the crossfire.

I think this assumes they have people left in the support services who understand the legislation and can act on it.

Saw a report earlier that there DMCA takedown was failing and people were using it as a chance to post whole films as tweets - not sure if there is trust to it but it would be symptomatic of not enough technical staff left to maintain things that normally magically 'run themselves'.

Spoiler:

This is all very entertaining, unfortunately also very sad. lots of innocent people caught in the crossfire.
    And the worst part is that they will get nothing. Twitter will be gone long before this sees a court date (and by extension any funds that could have been used to pay out).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
      Spoiler:

And the worst part is that they will get nothing. Twitter will be gone long before this sees a court date (and by extension any funds that could have been used to pay out).
    This might become a very rude awakening for the remnants of Twitter, because in most of EU not getting paid is legitimate reason for immediate union blockade of the company.
    If you are an American you might think "hey that is not abig deal, they cant do shit since they are locked out" - But in EU Union Blockades for salary reasons are often being conducted by all Sympathizing unions, meaning they will likely be cut of from all services whatsoever in EU (No internet bandwith for example, restriction in accessing twitter from EU citizens etc).

TL: DR/
    Normal strikes have to be announced well in advanced and only if specific conditions apply, but if employees are not being paid it takes effect immediate (day +1)//TL: DR
    Last edited by Caldrion Dosto; November 20 2022 at 04:45:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caldrion Dosto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
      Spoiler:

This might become a very rude awakening for the remnants of Twitter, because in most of EU not getting paid is legitimate reason for immediate union blockade of the company.
    If you are an American you might think "hey that is not abig deal, they cant do shit since they are locked out" - But in EU Union Blockades for salary reasons are often being conducted by all Sympathizing unions, meaning they will likely be cut of from all services whatsoever in EU (No internet bandwith for example, restriction in accessing twitter from EU citizens etc).

TL: DR/
    Normal strikes have to be announced well in advanced and only if specific conditions apply, but if employees are not being paid it takes effect immediate (day +1)//TL: DR
    Also, Things could depend on who actually now owns the actual twitter company.
    AFAIK it is not a public company anymore, so is it actually privately owned by Musk?
    If so, he and his fortune could possibly be used to pay the workers if Twitter is not able to do so anymore. (Not a lawyer, just seems like a thing that would happen in a well organized world)

Also not on Twitter, enough hateful speech.
    So Trump was reinstated.
    But only after a poll.

Because obviously, all of those bots that Musk was complaining about a couple of months ago are no longer a problem.

I don't know where I read that, but with the layoff of the EU Twitter staff, there's an issue for Musk complying with EU GDPR. If I remember that correctly, there's a rule if you have big enough presence in a EU country, all GDPR complaints across Europe are handled in that country/by that country's GDPR office (Ireland , in the case of most tech companies, including Twitter).

Now - if Twitter's EU HQ basically ceases to exist, because of the firing, GDPR requests need to be handled in the EU country where they originate from. Which ofc adds quite some workload, as different countries implemented the GDPR differently. And as we all know: not complying with GDPR policies can "earn" you some quite hefty fines.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    I don't know where I read that, but with the layoff of the EU Twitter staff, there's an issue for Musk complying with EU GDPR. If I remember that correctly, there's a rule if you have big enough presence in a EU country, all GDPR complaints across Europe are handled in that country/by that country's GDPR office (Ireland , in the case of most tech companies, including Twitter).

Now - if Twitter's EU HQ basically ceases to exist, because of the firing, GDPR requests need to be handled in the EU country where they originate from. Which ofc adds quite some workload, as different countries implemented the GDPR differently. And as we all know: not complying with GDPR policies can "earn" you some quite hefty fines.
    Hmmm... I can see my retirement funds financed by Mr Musk!
    Be right back, I'm just gonna dig up my GDPR nightmare letter and send it today.

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Trump said "nah" after Elon did his weasely little poll and declared him a free man.

Owned.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post
    Trump said "nah" after Elon did his weasely little poll and declared him a free man.

Owned.
    Why is Trump going to undermine his own failing platform to help Elon's ?
    For a smart guy, Elon Musk is really dumb.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???