hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Twitter?

Just wait until he learns about the business model for games consoles!

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melichor View Post
    Musk has decided to now go after Apple for suppressing free speech, the same Musk who has been having people banned for hurting his feelings lol

*Spoilered because large image that I failed to resize*

Spoiler:
    Is this real?

What do you think?

For people like him free speech means everyone should listen to shit I say and not call me out on it or have me face any consequences.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    For people like him free speech means everyone should listen to shit I say and not call me out on it or have me face any consequences.
    Elon Musk has lived his entire life believing he should be able to do whatever he likes and thinking the rules don't apply to him.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Melichor View Post
    Musk has decided to now go after Apple for suppressing free speech, the same Musk who has been having people banned for hurting his feelings lol

*Spoilered because large image that I failed to resize*

Spoiler:
    Is this real?
    I suck at twitter so can't find the thread again but apparently Elon visited Apple HQ and they are okay again.

https://twitter.com/business/status/...OMCx-TK-_MuNBw

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post
    Face it, Mastodon isn't going to happen.
    Mastodon has over 1 million 2 million active users and rising so I don't get what you mean by that? Will it be ever as big as Twitter? Probably not. Is it a better alternative to Twitter? Definitively. You can choose to rely on the goodwill of strangers (or people you know if they run an instance) or the psychotic mind salad of a narcissistic billionaire.

Or you can just quit using social media all together.
    Last edited by helgur; December 1 2022 at 04:59:30 AM.

Best deal is to never even get into social media at all

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Everyone here have spectacularly failed in getting into that deal

Didn't CCP once try to make a social media like website but for your eve character? I seem to remember it also worked in the horribad ingame browser at the time (before the IG browser went over to chromium)

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Everyone here have spectacularly failed in getting into that deal

Didn't CCP once try to make a social media like website but for your eve character? I seem to remember it also worked in the horribad ingame browser at the time (before the IG browser went over to chromium)
    i only have instagram, and i rarely use it tbh. mainly just to talk to people i know from around the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

Is it a better alternative to Twitter? Definitively. You can choose to rely on the goodwill of strangers (or people you know if they run an instance) or the psychotic mind salad of a narcissistic billionaire.
    Those strangers have built a platform with scalability issues so bad that each new instance increases Mastodon's tendency to be a DDoS platform. They've also known about it for 5 years and done nothing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano View Post
    Is it a better alternative to Twitter? Definitively. You can choose to rely on the goodwill of strangers (or people you know if they run an instance) or the psychotic mind salad of a narcissistic billionaire.
    Those strangers have built a platform with scalability issues so bad that each new instance increases Mastodon's tendency to be a DDoS platform. They've also known about it for 5 years and done nothing about it.
    The problem Hel Oween pointed out is a problem with Mastodons scalability, but it isn't as serious as to call it a "DDoS platform". < 10.000 requests doesn't constitute a denial of service attack unless you run the website on a 512MB RAM raspberry PI. And it is easily mitigated by using a CDN. It would be even better if Mastodon respected robots.txt to exclude these requests in the first place, but this is blowing the problem a bit out of proportion (without denying it's a problem).

I don't see why anyone would want there to be a single Twitter replacement.

Anyone who wasn't someone who should be put in a bag and drowned, I mean.

That being said, bad as it was, worse as it has become, Twitter isn't the real enemy. Facebook delenda est.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

The problem Hel Oween pointed out is a problem with Mastodons scalability, but it isn't as serious as to call it a "DDoS platform". < 10.000 requests doesn't constitute a denial of service attack unless you run the website on a 512MB RAM raspberry PI. And it is easily mitigated by using a CDN. It would be even better if Mastodon respected robots.txt to exclude these requests in the first place, but this is blowing the problem a bit out of proportion (without denying it's a problem).
    "You're hosting it wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post

Anyone who wasn't someone who should be put in a bag and drowned, I mean.

That being said, bad as it was, worse as it has become, Twitter isn't the real enemy. Facebook delenda est.
    Until no brick lies upon another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

"You're hosting it wrong"

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar

Network effect

I don't want to log in to 4 seperate microblogging services to follow Paul Chuckle, OJ Simpson, Boris Johnson and the McDonald's UK accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

Hey, I'm not the one saying every little website needs to be using a CDN rather than, you know, fixing the stampede problem.

Hey, I'm not the one saying every little website needs to be using a CDN rather than, you know, fixing the stampede problem.
    Why shouldn't you be running a CDN on every little website when it's free and takes 5 minutes to set up?

"Stampede problem" lol

Also I am not saying you should run this on every little website since running a "little" mastadon instance, it's unlikely you will get someone famous with tens of thousands of followers where they posting a link would make this a problem. Having 200 people on the instance with a few houndred followers each this "ddos" will never creep up anyway.

Network effect

I don't want to log in to 4 seperate microblogging services to follow Paul Chuckle, OJ Simpson, Boris Johnson and the McDonald's UK accounts.
    That's not how it works
    Last edited by helgur; December 2 2022 at 12:56:45 AM.

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Why shouldn't you be running a CDN on every little website when it's free and takes 5 minutes to set up?

"Stampede problem" lol

Also I am not saying you should run this on every little website since running a "little" mastadon instance, it's unlikely you will get someone famous with tens of thousands of followers where they posting a link would make this a problem. Having 200 people on the instance with a few houndred followers each this "ddos" will never creep up anyway.

Network effect

That's not how it works
    Not how what works, network effect or multiple services? I'm not talking about mastodon.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres