hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: Gigabit Mesh Networking

Gigabit Mesh Networking

I'm in the process of moving house and I'm going to be in a position to have a home office again. There's a couple of factors at play though that have me shopping around though, and could use a bit of insight into figuring out what's actually worth picking up. For context:

1130Mbps down / 52Mbps up

I'm going from the lounge to bedroom 2, but the caveat is that it's an old Scottish tenement which probably means thick walls. Obviously having a wired run would be better and I may just drill a hole if I need to but in the absence of that I'm falling back to mesh because powerline adapters are cringe.

Main thing I'm looking at is the Eero 6+, but I'm a bit worried about dual-band throttling my speed if I have to bridge the gap via WiFi. Not adverse to stumping out for the Pro 6 if I need to, but it's just costly enough to punch through a single wall that it leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, especially when you think that I'm going to need two.

Thonks and suggestions if you have any.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomed Predator
    Sofia Roseburn; quiet, well mannered librarian by day; blood crazed, psychotic demigod by night.

If its a meaty wall, rent a SDS Drill and correct drill bit from HSS hire. They'll have tools that go through those walls like butter.

Congrats on the move!

Can you run a cable through the ceiling / attic perhaps?

I've tried powerline adaptors in the past and found them to be really unreliable.

id just run cat6. Will the internal wall be that thick?

It's rented (although I think it'll probably be my last property I rent) and it's an old Scottish tenenment so I'm expecting the walls to be chonk. Will look into it though, Cat 6 would be preferable.

Sofia Roseburn; quiet, well mannered librarian by day; blood crazed, psychotic demigod by night.

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    powerline stuff in my experience works great or not at all, depending on the electrics.

Don't buy cheap crap adapters. Have had repeated success with TP-Link gear, and am currently using DECO P9 set of mesh devices which use combo wifi+powerline as backhaul.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

Confirming had a property where power adapters worked as advertised and another where the very same gear never reached half that performance, absolute witchcraft.

If you already have some, give them a chance if not don't buy them unless you know you can return if your property doesn't have the correct Feng Shui.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    Just for the record, "sending a needy text" is never the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by whispous View Post
    powerline stuff in my experience works great or not at all, depending on the electrics.

Don't buy cheap crap adapters. Have had repeated success with TP-Link gear, and am currently using DECO P9 set of mesh devices which use combo wifi+powerline as backhaul.
    Yeah, my main concern is my primary machine that I'd ideally want to keep gigabit on which I'm realistically not going to get off mesh.

Will take a look at powerline adapters, worst comes to worst I might just run some CAT6.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Roseburn View Post

Yeah, my main concern is my primary machine that I'd ideally want to keep gigabit on which I'm realistically not going to get off mesh.

Will take a look at powerline adapters, worst comes to worst I might just run some CAT6.
    Run CAT6, if you're smart with placement it's almost invisible. If you want I can send you pictures how I've done it. Any wifi solution will result in a lot of lost packets at the worst possible time. I don't have any hands on experience with powerline adapters but from what I've been told their upper limits are hugely theoretical (as in what chip can support and not wires in your house) and they can be even worse than wifi if you're dealing with decades old wiring, god forbid if it's aluminium. Old scottish tenement sounds like something that would struggle due to quality of wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post

Run CAT6, if you're smart with placement it's almost invisible. If you want I can send you pictures how I've done it. Any wifi solution will result in a lot of lost packets at the worst possible time. I don't have any hands on experience with powerline adapters but from what I've been told their upper limits are hugely theoretical (as in what chip can support and not wires in your house) and they can be even worse than wifi if you're dealing with decades old wiring, god forbid if it's aluminium. Old scottish tenement sounds like something that would struggle due to quality of wiring.
    Post anyway for the rest of us

Powerline won't give you much more than 150-200mb even with good TP-Link ones. I've got decent internal wiring and a 200mb virgin link and can't saturate it from upstairs but can downstairs, where no computers are.
    I need to strap on and run some cables through the ceiling, but never seem to get around to it.
    technology canít solve economic and political problems

Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post

Nothing fancy. Match the color with of your wall and run it in corners of the floor or ceiling. Use tiny bit of translucent silicon glue to keep it in place. It's almost impossible to notice if you're not looking for it.
    https://imgur.com/a/WZucDPK
    Last edited by rufuske; August 1 2022 at 12:57:03 PM.

Update: Virgin Media engineer needed to visit the property to do the home move anyway, big drill moment. Router is now on the desk, CAT6 sorted.

May end up getting an Eero at some point just to improve signal strength but all in all, bueno.