hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Elden Ring - RPG based on Souls or Souls with RPG elements?

Stopped playing this a few days ago but will prob go back to finish up and explore a bit more. Most of the main bosses are done, think only last and a few main optionals to go. Overall would recommend to try it but do not be fooled by the 10/10 must play shite.

Few random points and observations.

- Its Dark Souls 3 with jump and a huge, huge map. The memes about just renaming flasks and souls, well yeah.
    - Not many performance issues (5600x, 32gig, 980gtx), few crashes and stutters when loading the open world occasionally. Like honestly the world is vast and hugely detailed with zero loading screens, to expect perfect fps is pie in the sky thinking, the scenery is incredible. I get 45-60fps mostly high settings @1440p, its decent.
    - Looks great, textures are nice, sound is great and atmospherically its amazing.
    - K&M is terrible as per but obv superior after time, no controller is np but can be irritating. Option to change on screen promps to your binds is welcomed. The menus are straight ports and so just terrible in every possible way but again if you play DS you know.
    - Level design is the usual high standard, varied, looks awesome. Castles are foreboding and fun.
    - Lots of playstyles, weapons and summons to find and upgrade, most of them entirely the same thing with a different colour swoosh.
    - They added jump, great until you realise that it entirely breaks the game. The AI is AWFUL, laughable. If you don't lock on to stuff they don't behave in the intended way. Jump up where they cant hit you and they just either bumble about or reset, this includes most bosses only found a few that cant be bugged out in some fashion or just cheesed. If not possible easily simply Rot or Poison a boss, which stays until death, then roll about like a fanny until the 'hard' boss is dead. In short summons and jump straight up break the game. You can bounce aggro with any ranged summon for days.
    - Many of the Dark Souls 3 bosses, reskinned and shuffled about, copy pasta is extremely strong here. Same for trash, there are a lot of new types on top admittedly but nothing you have not really seen before in the previous series.
    - Horse combat is just pure cheese, if anything can be tackled on your horse then it might as well have no abilities.
    - Archery at this point is basically wall hacks.
    - Armor is pointless, poise, other stats. Most boss abilities even at high levels of hp are almost a one shot. Some bosses hit you with stagger and you simply cannot recover. The harder melee bosses require perfect dodge and parrys which mean no armor for longer, faster rolls. If you can survive the odd mistake then you are golden, fuck the armor. You need to invest in two separate stats to make it useful and even then its slight mitigation.

Bit disappointed in the gameplay to be honest. Way too easy to side-track and over level. Guess its just the way I play games, like why would I punish myself trying to perfectly time rolls for 5 minutes when I can just jump on top a crate and ping arrows for no risk. Maybe this would be tricky if you banned yourself from jumping, banned archery, banned summons, banned horse, banned verticality, banned ez-mode parry, banned 2h and shield, banned thinking, idk man. Literally have to force yourself to play the way they intended at times and I have not touched the magic yet.

But in all seriousness I would recommend this for the experience. Love that nothing is explained, love the story not being rammed down your throat, if you are interested it is there to discover and enjoy. just let down by really poor design decisions and the AI.
    Last edited by Skeptic; March 7 2022 at 10:18:46 AM.

I ams eriously considering a respec. 2H sword is cool and all, and i've invested into faith to get some weapon damage buffs, but they don't seem to do much more than crafted stuff, which reauires almost zero investment just some mats.

Either going "PURE" Dex melee, or try out all these cool looking Sorcery spells.

That said, how mnay of the spells do you actually use ?
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Major glint, ambush, blade arc and what ever I need in the zone, (aoe etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    That said, how mnay of the spells do you actually use ?
    Flame of Frenzy for big dudes, Frenzied Burst for sniping, Beast Claw for clearing, Heal and Golden Vow on Hookclaws for buffing myself and spirit ashes. Main melee is Winged Scythe, which also slaps in PvP. Next playthrough I will try out the sorceries.

I'm swearing more at the putrid tree past Ragdan on teh coast than at the boss. it's cool and all, but fuck that snake tree prick.

Deathless 2,5h speed run

Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

we did it bois

playthrough 2 is go

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    Stopped playing this a few days ago but will prob go back to finish up and explore a bit more. Most of the main bosses are done, think only last and a few main optionals to go. Overall would recommend to try it but do not be fooled by the 10/10 must play shite.

- Its Dark Souls 3 with jump and a huge, huge map. The memes about just renaming flasks and souls, well yeah.
    - Not many performance issues (5600x, 32gig, 980gtx), few crashes and stutters when loading the open world occasionally. Like honestly the world is vast and hugely detailed with zero loading screens, to expect perfect fps is pie in the sky thinking, the scenery is incredible. I get 45-60fps mostly high settings @1440p, its decent.
    - Looks great, textures are nice, sound is great and atmospherically its amazing.
    - K&M is terrible as per but obv superior after time, no controller is np but can be irritating. Option to change on screen promps to your binds is welcomed. The menus are straight ports and so just terrible in every possible way but again if you play DS you know.
    - Level design is the usual high standard, varied, looks awesome. Castles are foreboding and fun.
    - Lots of playstyles, weapons and summons to find and upgrade, most of them entirely the same thing with a different colour swoosh.
    - They added jump, great until you realise that it entirely breaks the game. The AI is AWFUL, laughable. If you don't lock on to stuff they don't behave in the intended way. Jump up where they cant hit you and they just either bumble about or reset, this includes most bosses only found a few that cant be bugged out in some fashion or just cheesed. If not possible easily simply Rot or Poison a boss, which stays until death, then roll about like a fanny until the 'hard' boss is dead. In short summons and jump straight up break the game. You can bounce aggro with any ranged summon for days.
    - Many of the Dark Souls 3 bosses, reskinned and shuffled about, copy pasta is extremely strong here. Same for trash, there are a lot of new types on top admittedly but nothing you have not really seen before in the previous series.
    - Horse combat is just pure cheese, if anything can be tackled on your horse then it might as well have no abilities.
    - Armor is pointless, poise, other stats. Most boss abilities even at high levels of hp are almost a one shot. Some bosses hit you with stagger and you simply cannot recover. The harder melee bosses require perfect dodge and parrys which mean no armor for longer, faster rolls. If you can survive the odd mistake then you are golden, fuck the armor. You need to invest in two separate stats to make it useful and even then its slight mitigation.

Bit disappointed in the gameplay to be honest. Way too easy to side-track and over level. Guess its just the way I play games, like why would I punish myself trying to perfectly time rolls for 5 minutes when I can just jump on top a crate and ping arrows for no risk. Maybe this would be tricky if you banned yourself from jumping, banned archery, banned summons, banned horse, banned verticality, banned ez-mode parry, banned 2h and shield, banned thinking, idk man. Literally have to force yourself to play the way they intended at times and I have not touched the magic yet.

But in all seriousness I would recommend this for the experience. Love that nothing is explained, love the story not being rammed down your throat, if you are interested it is there to discover and enjoy. just let down by really poor design decisions and the AI.
    Which boss where you up to?

Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post

wheir're*
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Also that didn't sound like abloo bloo to me, PM me and we can agree on a meeting spot and settle this with queensberry rules, that's a serious offer btw. I've been a member of this community since 2005 and i've never met a more toxic individual.

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post

wheir're*
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to NoirAvlaa again.

At that point as just after Radahn, turned out I had another zone and 4-5 non optional to go.

Just did the Fire Giant, kited him about for ages learning his moves then he just fell off a rock and died.

It is a constant love/hate thing going on here.

Top Tier "being summoned" gear

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post

Top Tier "being summoned" gear
    Hey, its Gandalf

phpBB : Critical Error
    Could not connect to the database

How is the game speed compared to Dark Souls III, Sekiro and Bloodborne?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    How is the game speed compared to Dark Souls III, Sekiro and Bloodborne?
    Cadence feels more DS3, therefore a pace slower manic than Sekiro or BB. Granted it's a nuance more than anything significant but that's how I feel.
    Last edited by Lady Spank; March 13 2022 at 10:43:48 AM.

I've not played Bloodbourne so can't really tell form tehre, but it's certainly more DS than ahything else.

Rolls and iFrams seems a little more forgiving. Blocking less so as early large enemied seem to chain brutal strings of attacks with extra Ground effects just to fuck you up. Not tried with 40+ str and a greatshield though so YMMV but even my 45y/o reflexes are having a much better time dodging emenines in this edition more than any other. So much i'm rarely if ever using a shield at all.

It's relatively easy to get swarmed stunlocked and wiped out in a few seconds, and some and even alter mobs, if you fuck up will simply one-combo you into the ground.

But you don't have to be a 100* jacked up ninja to dieal with that. The tells are usually pretty obvious.

It's mostly DS3 speed, but some bosses feel like they have had their move sets copied from Sekiro (Crucible Knights with 10 hit combos and 3 feints thrown in). Very forgiving iframes though and there are lots of "weapon arts" that give iframes and hyper armour too.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

I can't get past Stormveil Castle and I'm lvl 41, fml.

edit: decided to skip that red knight mofo patrolling at the side and went straight to the boss and killed him at second try. Guess I'll be back for him later.
    Last edited by rufuske; March 26 2022 at 08:58:17 PM.