hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 140

Thread: Elden Ring - RPG based on Souls or Souls with RPG elements?

  1. #1
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    4,380

    Elden Ring - RPG based on Souls or Souls with RPG elements?

    [Could not find an existing thread. If there is one let me know]

    So, apparently Elden Ring is getting hyped like a cocaine fueled rocket. It certainly looks pretty sweet and the early access demos has peaked my interest.
    But...is it really an RPG or is it just a Souls game in an open RPG-like world? It sounds and looks like the latter. I understand its not story heavy/driven like Witcher etc.

    Not saying its a bad thing but would I enjoy it never had any real interest in earlier Souls and Souls-clones?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  2. #2
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    [Could not find an existing thread. If there is one let me know]

    So, apparently Elden Ring is getting hyped like a cocaine fueled rocket. It certainly looks pretty sweet and the early access demos has peaked my interest.
    But...is it really an RPG or is it just a Souls game in an open RPG-like world? It sounds and looks like the latter. I understand its not story heavy/driven like Witcher etc.

    Not saying its a bad thing but would I enjoy it never had any real interest in earlier Souls and Souls-clones?
    Souls games are very story heavy and this one will be even more. Difference compared to Witcher it's not classic storytelling with characters etc, but driven entirely by environments and item descriptions. You need to really dig and piece it yourself to experience story's full extent. It's akin to being archaeologist and not a book reader or movie watcher.. A lot of people don't like this approach and are incapable of following story presented this way (hence the Souls games have no story), while some love it. Best thing is to try it yourself.

  3. #3
    Dee Jiensai's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 23, 2012
    Posts
    489
    What is your definition of an RPG?

    Because all souls-likes fill my definition of one.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 30, 2011
    Location
    asleep
    Posts
    7,505
    It's open world dark souls. AS far as i can tell from pre-reviews, the storytelling is far less opaque than previous darksouls, eg you meet a person, they tell you to go over to a place, and save something from something else. There is an overriding plot that is revealed, you go and do the things, and then win the other thing. I've heard talk about a skilltree, though it could just be stat allocations similar to existing souls games, or it could be something more. not looked to deeply into it beyond this as I'm a big souls fan, and don't want to spoil myself too much.

    Difficulty wise, it's Souls Difficulty, no sliders, no fucks given. Not sure whether open world DS is exactly RPG. there won't be a party of companions (summons aside) but you will be able to chose specialties. Rogue-like dex backstab builds, mage/2h hybrids. Tanky sword and board. the options will be there. It really depends if that's enough for you to be a RPG. I doubt there will be complex dialog trees, but who knows. with GRRM writing the plot, anything is possible.

    Also use a controller.
    Last edited by Itiken; February 15 2022 at 11:49:20 AM.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

  5. #5
    Duckslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23, 2017
    Posts
    3,283
    GET HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE


  6. #6
    Duckslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23, 2017
    Posts
    3,283
    Also, every game is a role playing game you nerds

  7. #7
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    4,380
    Thanks all! I have pretty much zero exposure to the "Souls-genre", which probably explains that my most common knowledge is that is fuckin hard mode. All the time.
    And since that hasnt been my jam in many years I've left it alone. But looking at the preview reviews and your comments maybe this is the time I jump in.

    (Just need to find time to finish up what I got loaded on the PS4 and then get a PS5 for this, so maybe in 2024. >.<)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    4,946
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Also, every game is a role playing game you nerds
    I put on my robe and wizard hat.

    Anyways, as long as it's not a rougelike deckbuilder i'm not interested. Guess age has caught up to me.

  9. #9
    Armyofme's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Teddybears.
    Posts
    1,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Thanks all! I have pretty much zero exposure to the "Souls-genre", which probably explains that my most common knowledge is that is fuckin hard mode. All the time.
    And since that hasnt been my jam in many years I've left it alone. But looking at the preview reviews and your comments maybe this is the time I jump in.

    (Just need to find time to finish up what I got loaded on the PS4 and then get a PS5 for this, so maybe in 2024. >.<)
    If its as hard as Sekiro then im gonna say fuck it.
    Cba to spend that much time trying to get through the content.

    phpBB : Critical Error
    Could not connect to the database

  10. #10
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    19,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Thanks all! I have pretty much zero exposure to the "Souls-genre", which probably explains that my most common knowledge is that is fuckin hard mode. All the time.
    And since that hasnt been my jam in many years I've left it alone. But looking at the preview reviews and your comments maybe this is the time I jump in.

    (Just need to find time to finish up what I got loaded on the PS4 and then get a PS5 for this, so maybe in 2024. >.<)
    If you dont like replaying the same content 100x trying to get through it without dying it isn't for you

  11. #11
    Lief Siddhe's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 15, 2011
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    8,939
    Wut? I replayed Dark Souls about 3 times to try different classes/weapons and enjoyed it a lot. Yes, getting stuck on an enemy can be frustrating but we're not talking about playing the same thing a hundred times lol and the payoff is therefore much more enjoyable. It's a perfect example of a challenging game. Elden Ring is gonna be a very similar experience but with more eye candy. You don't have to turn into a maniac to enjoy it.

    Although I'll admit if you like power fantasy roller coaster games, this is a very different beast and will require a mindset change.

    You just need to git gud :P
    Last edited by Lief Siddhe; February 18 2022 at 05:12:48 PM.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

  12. #12
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    3,043
    Sekiro was great fun, I could never really get into DS since the world was cool but not really something I cared to look at too long. Elden ring looks like a really awesome evolution of all their work so far, really pumped to try it out. Also Lief is right, the content isn't really repetitive and you aren't gonna die at the same spot 100x unless you are just dumb. They make massive levels and just take so much time to flesh them out, how you could say it was content you need to replay over and over and sound bitter about how fun even that can be is beyond me.

  13. #13
    Duckslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23, 2017
    Posts
    3,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Sekiro was great fun, I could never really get into DS since the world was cool but not really something I cared to look at too long. Elden ring looks like a really awesome evolution of all their work so far, really pumped to try it out. Also Lief is right, the content isn't really repetitive and you aren't gonna die at the same spot 100x unless you are just dumb. They make massive levels and just take so much time to flesh them out, how you could say it was content you need to replay over and over and sound bitter about how fun even that can be is beyond me.

  14. #14
    Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Posts
    17,387
    Where the fuck did all the fhc gamers go?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

  15. #15
    Varcaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 15, 2011
    Posts
    21,348
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    Where the fuck did all the fhc gamers go?
    Discord

  16. #16

    Join Date
    May 30, 2011
    Location
    asleep
    Posts
    7,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Armyofme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Thanks all! I have pretty much zero exposure to the "Souls-genre", which probably explains that my most common knowledge is that is fuckin hard mode. All the time.
    And since that hasnt been my jam in many years I've left it alone. But looking at the preview reviews and your comments maybe this is the time I jump in.

    (Just need to find time to finish up what I got loaded on the PS4 and then get a PS5 for this, so maybe in 2024. >.<)
    If its as hard as Sekiro then im gonna say fuck it.
    Sekiro was in a really weird place for the genre.
    Having to git gud at both stealth assassination then mad sworstrike action hurt my brain and i gave up on it in the end.

    At least with SoulsBourne games there are usually tanky options to help you learn the game, maybe not as flashy as the naked Ultra-2H 2shot build, but good all the same.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

  17. #17
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,918
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

  18. #18

    Join Date
    May 30, 2011
    Location
    asleep
    Posts
    7,505
    Zoinks:

    34 hours to unlock.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

  19. #19
    Mortvvs's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,342
    https://opencritic.com/game/12090/elden-ring
    10/10 acrosss the board, Miyazaki delivers yet again

  20. #20
    VARRAKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 27, 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,918
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •