hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 197 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Path of Exile - F2P Action RPG

Where have I seen a web skill tree layout like that before? One of the Final Fantasy games? Otherwise, it looks like a clone of Diablo 2.

I think the game I will play boils down to the business model and how exploitative the MT is in P2E. Is it going to be agonizingly grindy unless I pay, like WoT? Will I have to buy pots to get good drops as Biscuit suggests? Also, I haven't read anything about the business model of Diablo 3 except for the built-in real money auction house, a la eBay. Otherwise, is D3 going to be F2P?

Also, the name of this indie developer company is so appropriate.

Hello? All hack'n'slashes are about grinding.

Diablos didn't have alot of story either.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiang Jiao View Post
    Where have I seen a web skill tree layout like that before? One of the Final Fantasy games? Otherwise, it looks like a clone of Diablo 2.

I think the game I will play boils down to the business model and how exploitative the MT is in P2E. Is it going to be agonizingly grindy unless I pay, like WoT? Will I have to buy pots to get good drops as Biscuit suggests? Also, I haven't read anything about the business model of Diablo 3 except for the built-in real money auction house, a la eBay. Otherwise, is D3 going to be F2P?

Also, the name of this indie developer company is so appropriate.
    F2P has only used business models from what I have seen. Pay to to not grind (as much) and pay to win. Pay to not grind is preferable in my book

The huge skill tree web are all passive abilities, you actual skills come from gems you have socketed. Probably was covered in the WTF is etc. vid but just to clear it up. Most of them are also copies of eachother such as, unlocking accuracy skill gives the oportunity to level another accuracy skill, which opens another etc. At some points you get the option to move over to another stat in another tree. So it is the path you take that matters if you want to have a specific combination of stats.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I'm doing my best. Well. Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by donjehova View Post
    F2P has only used business models from what I have seen. Pay to to not grind (as much) and pay to win. Pay to not grind is preferable in my book
    You missed the best F2P business model from LoL: pay to make ur char look 'better'

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Hello? All hack'n'slashes are about grinding.

Diablos didn't have alot of story either.
    I'm not really concerned about the story, but you are right, Diablo 2 was minimal on cut scenes. I think that was part of its appeal as it focused more on game play. I am concerned that the F2P model of Exile will be a debilitating grind fest. In D2, you could get rushed to level 30, then 60 in very little time, like two days of extended play if I recall correctly. It was more focused on finding the right items for your build than leveling. I'd rather pay US$50-60 just to avoid any MT shenanigans with a game. However, I don't want anything to do with a real money auction house in D3 unless I'm doing all the selling. I generally always play hardcore mode anyway, so it won't affect me. I haven't heard any details on whether D3 will be free to play as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CrzyLgs View Post
    You missed the best F2P business model from LoL: pay to make ur char look 'better'
    Very true, that slipped my mind. Maybe becouse I find it so retarded, and never do shit like that.

You still pay to skip grind in LoL though

Very true, that slipped my mind. Maybe becouse I find it so retarded, and never do shit like that.

You still pay to skip grind in LoL though
    Me either... thats why its the best model Other people pay to look better and subsidise an awesome free game for me!

D3 will be $60 to buy then a $15 a month sub. It is intended to be the new wow with RMT all run by blizzard so no one will hack your account. Scratch that, so no one else can profit off it.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Diablo3I.../3/njVFZfCY4k0

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gix Tyrionn View Post
    D3 (...) $15 a month sub.

The fuck? They're making D3 a bloody subscription game?
    That's just... wow...

Well I guess that's great news for Path of Exile atleast
    Anyone got in on the beta yet?

d3 sub ? that is troll ... right ?
    In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? ... At least it is true that man has no control; even over his own will.

Isn't SC2 on subscription?

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Isn't SC2 on subscription?
    Duno. They decided you had to buy the game 3 times over to get the whole game so i decided not to pay for it :P

(I Had honestly intended to buy it before they went mad with greed. same with D3. But now? No fucking way.)
    Last edited by Ashaz; September 9 2011 at 01:02:18 PM.

Sc2 is doesnt have sub. You do have to buy it 3 times, but the content of each expansion is about as large as a standard game, so most people have forgiven that. Not me though, I only play multiplayer, so I have to pay up to get that extra one unit or whatever will carry over from the new campaign.

I've heard the sub rumor about d3 too, but I have yet to see any documentation to confirm it. Wouldnt surprice me to much though, being the money grapping cunts they are turning into. Too bad they happen to make the games I wonna play.

no monthly fee.

Another aspects of the real money auction house is the effect on Blizzards revenue model. Unlike World of Warcraft, Diablo 3 will not require monthly fees to play. After the initial sale of the game and possibly one or two add-ons, there is no direct source of income for Blizzard. Yet they have to operate a massive infrastructure to make online play possible. Blizzard said they only implement fixed fees and they hope that those fees enable them to break even with the cost of operating the service. But realistically, seeing as Activision Blizzard is always looking for ways to increase their revenue, this income will probably positively affect their bottom line.
    http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...-revealed.aspx

give me my beta account already dammit!

Sc2 is doesnt have sub. You do have to buy it 3 times, but the content of each expansion is about as large as a standard game,
    In this case it would seem more logical to compare it to SC1 and the Brood Wars expansion. In wich case it's not nearly as large.

You have to compare it to contemporary games. All modern games lack singleplayer if they have a multiplayerparty

I am the 99.99998% Tyrus Tenebros's Avatar
    ....damn. Think I need to play this one.

edit: I believe it was FFX that had that skilltree layout.
    I tried to be cool and all I got was a lousy warning about my sig being too big.