hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 153 of 244 FirstFirst ... 53103143150151152153154155156163203 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,060 of 4879

Thread: Gun Thread (AK appreciation)

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Meanwhile in russia:

Bullpups benefit rifles for quick dismounts or CQB/MOUT situations. None of those apply to a belt fed. Belt changes would be....awkward with the receiver so far back while prone. I can see the benefits of firing while standing but realistically, that shit is heavy and you aren't going to be doing that for very long. The Marines had a problem in Iraq when they would "flood" a house using a top down approach that ended up forcing their SAW gunners to eventually take point during room sweeps. But their m240's never participated in that and kept overwatch instead.

So basically this looks like a solution that looking for a problem. You guys should integrate some of the improvements they did to the UKM-2000, minus the ammo change.

Quote Originally Posted by Keorythe View Post
    You guys should integrate some of the improvements they did to the UKM-2000
    What does it have that PKP doesn't?

As far as i can see the ammo switch was the only thing polish did?
    Last edited by RazoR; April 26 2014 at 12:41:30 AM.

Chopped the barrel down by a few inches just below the most optimal length, barrel is thicker for heat management, a proper flash suppressor so that the muzzle flash isn't visible in broad daylight anymore, and it uses disintegrating links. The pollacks put a proper forearm rail on the thing so that when maneuvering you don't have to grab the ammo bin to pick it up (since the gas tube is hot as hell). They also added a folding telescopic stock for paratroops. Some of it is addons but I'm surprised Russia hasn't done anything like this itself especially considering some of the addons it has applied to its AK modernization program.

Chopped the barrel down by a few inches just below the most optimal length, barrel is thicker for heat management, a proper flash suppressor so that the muzzle flash isn't visible in broad daylight anymore, and it uses disintegrating links. The pollacks put a proper forearm rail on the thing so that when maneuvering you don't have to grab the ammo bin to pick it up (since the gas tube is hot as hell). They also added a folding telescopic stock for paratroops. Some of it is addons but I'm surprised Russia hasn't done anything like this itself especially considering some of the addons it has applied to its AK modernization program.

Heavy barrel - check
    Improved muzzle brake - check
    Top handle - absolutely awesome

It is still a GPMG, not a ~squad automatic weapon~ so chopping the barrel is not an option.
    Presumably the bullpup version could be used by paratroopers.

Re: AK-12
    Kill it with fire.

Slapping rails all over a 60 year deisgn is not a solution.
    Can't see how 74M was insufficient in any way as the main infantry assault rifle.
    Last edited by RazoR; April 26 2014 at 02:12:46 AM.

> Check gunbot, no .22 under $0.15/rd
    > Nope, still not the time to learn to shoot
    > Maybe in another 3 years
    Skill training online: Daesis Wrack
    Everything else: Cosmic Osmo

Go skeet shooting instead great fun and easy to get the hang of.

A-545
      Spoiler:
    Latest AEK
      Spoiler:
    the counter-balanced automatics gun
      Spoiler:
    fired by Steven Seagal
    Last edited by RazoR; May 13 2014 at 02:19:19 AM.

Gun Thread (ar-15 everywhere)

What is that ugly optic on it?

Also why introduce more moving parts and weight to an already jolty design when you could just use a direct impingement AR and have much lighter weight and lower recoil?
    Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post

Also why introduce more moving parts and weight to an already jolty design when you could just use a direct impingement AR and have much lighter weight and lower recoil?
    Because Russia likes guns that don't jam when you so much as think about a little dirt?

-O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

u wot m8

Quote Originally Posted by Ophichius View Post

Because Russia likes guns that don't jam when you so much as think about a little dirt?

-O
    They don't though
    Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

-O
    They don't though
    andherewego.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec
    Cool09 is the cancer that is corrupting our society and poisoning our children.

WoT: Redglare[VPG]

inb4 exploding_ak.gif

Donor
    That's some hightech right there.

Quote Originally Posted by TZeer View Post
      Spoiler:

The trackingpoint stuff has been making the rounds (pun intended) through varies gun shows and demos. It's fine for stationary targets but anything that moves too much screws up its target recognition.

The combination of Glass and a camera mount on the other hand is something various militaries have been looking at for a while. The problem was always the size of the camera and viewing system which added a ton of weight. Now that they've been miniturized the weight issue isn't nearly as bad, although more batteries will probably need to be carried. I imagine as some point, they will come up with a hardened version and combine it with an RDS or some other RCO.

Some earlier attempts at doing this.

The older US Land Warrior system

UK version called FIST

French version called FELIN

The German system Infanterist der Zukunft / IdZ in a presentation by Rheinmetall, Europe's tenth largest defence contractor.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...&embedded=true
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by TZeer View Post
      Spoiler:

The trackingpoint stuff has been making the rounds (pun intended) through varies gun shows and demos. It's fine for stationary targets but anything that moves too much screws up its target recognition.

The combination of Glass and a camera mount on the other hand is something various militaries have been looking at for a while. The problem was always the size of the camera and viewing system which added a ton of weight. Now that they've been miniturized the weight issue isn't nearly as bad, although more batteries will probably need to be carried. I imagine as some point, they will come up with a hardened version and combine it with an RDS or some other RCO.
      Spoiler:

Some earlier attempts at doing this.

The older US Land Warrior system

UK version called FIST

French version called FELIN
    trijicon's version is a bit more like a gun pipper (well, it calculates aim point, not impact, but there is no direct control on the trigger like tracking point).

Question for Keorythe, though I suppose any of our military posters will have more insight on it than I do. I just read up on the M27 IAR, and it seems absolutely fucking insane to try and replace the SAW with an HK416 using 30 round mags. Is this just some weird bureaucratic end-run to try and get a better rifle into the hands of the riflemen, or are the Marines really serious about eliminating the LMG from the squad all together?

-O
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

Question for Keorythe, though I suppose any of our military posters will have more insight on it than I do. I just read up on the M27 IAR, and it seems absolutely fucking insane to try and replace the SAW with an HK416 using 30 round mags. Is this just some weird bureaucratic end-run to try and get a better rifle into the hands of the riflemen, or are the Marines really serious about eliminating the LMG from the squad all together?

-O
    My read from it was more of the USMC wants to backdoor a piston driven AR into their squads.