hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 149 of 243 FirstFirst ... 4999139146147148149150151152159199 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,980 of 4859

Thread: Gun Thread (AK appreciation)

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    No, the mountains of Idaho Not a whole lot of law enforcement up there
    Tell him to dig an underground compound/cave system with a natural disposal system for overly curious/intrusive neighbors. He already lives in idaho no one will notice.

No, the mountains of Idahostan Not a whole lot of law enforcement up there
    FYP

Reading anything USA related in this threat gives you the impression that its from not from USA but some Syrian suburb.
    Fucking 3rd world shit.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by metacannibal View Post
    No, the mountains of Idahostan Not a whole lot of law enforcement up there
    FYP

Reading anything USA related in this threat gives you the impression that its from not from USA but some Syrian suburb.
    Fucking 3rd world shit.
    If it is a state/city west of winsconsin east of seattle and north of.... i guess mexico there is a lot of open space.

Edit: im willing to bet i could get myself a rifle for hunting and go for a walk in montana and go hermit mountain man and never see another person for the rest of my life.
    Last edited by Tellenta; November 22 2013 at 08:30:43 AM.

3rd world Merica

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by lucian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndersonW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VladCetes View Post
    That is bretty gool, I wonder how the accuracy is.

On an unrelated note, I got my grandfather's Remington 700 in .30-06 and love it. Going to put my SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 on it and get an SWFA 1-6x24 for my Model 70 in .243
    Yo Remington, your action is really accurate, and Imma let you finish. But Mauser has the best bolt action of all time. OF ALL TIME!
    Mauser is better than say a Mosin but you can't discount the value of the surplus rifles of the turn of the century. Arisaka... Springfield 1903...Enfield.... and Nagant... are quality riifles that don't get the glamour imho

And I think the enfield has best action of all time... so smooth
    The Arisaka is probably the most under-rated rifle out there due to its anemic cartridge. It's a really solid Mauser-derived rifle (cock on close instead of open) and the 1903 Springfield( again Mauser based) is tied with the K98K for the pinnacle of military bolt-rifles.

Also if your gonna quote Enfields, they even made their own Mauser-derived rifle (1914 Enfield).
    I was not aware of that. Good stuff.

And I completely agree about the arisaka.. its gorgrous.

I have a couple of Arisaka's my grandpa brought back from the occupation. The actions were permanently welded open by the authorities, as most of the wartime production models were manufactured with substandard materials and would blow up with distressing frequency. Turns out they had a reason for all those bayonet charges!
    All the later WW2 models are inferior in quality to the early/pre war models due to the mass production. This is really evident in the Axis rifles and ESPECIALLY the Japanese ones. I would not shoot any Arisaka made after late 43/ maybe early 44 due to the shoddy materials and workmanship.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar

All the later WW2 models are inferior in quality to the early/pre war models due to the mass production. This is really evident in the Axis rifles and ESPECIALLY the Japanese ones. I would not shoot any Arisaka made after late 43/ maybe early 44 due to the shoddy materials and workmanship.
    Would any of you know some of the features that eve has.

Donor

On an unrelated note, I got my grandfather's Remington 700 in .30-06 and love it. Going to put my SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 on it and get an SWFA 1-6x24 for my Model 70 in .243
    Yo Remington, your action is really accurate, and Imma let you finish. But Mauser has the best bolt action of all time. OF ALL TIME!
    Mauser is better than say a Mosin but you can't discount the value of the surplus rifles of the turn of the century. Arisaka... Springfield 1903...Enfield.... and Nagant... are quality riifles that don't get the glamour imho

The Arisaka is probably the most under-rated rifle out there due to its anemic cartridge. It's a really solid Mauser-derived rifle (cock on close instead of open) and the 1903 Springfield( again Mauser based) is tied with the K98K for the pinnacle of military bolt-rifles.

Also if your gonna quote Enfields, they even made their own Mauser-derived rifle (1914 Enfield).

I have a couple of Arisaka's my grandpa brought back from the occupation. The actions were permanently welded open by the authorities, as most of the wartime production models were manufactured with substandard materials and would blow up with distressing frequency. Turns out they had a reason for all those bayonet charges!
    Mass production and the use of poor materials is not the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post

Let me rephrase that: The quality of various parts were reduced to allow them to be mass produced on a massive scale.

Let me rephrase that: The quality of various parts were reduced to allow them to be mass produced on a massive scale.
    Surely you meant The overall quality was reduced to allow them to be still mass produced.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post

Surely you meant The overall quality was reduced to allow them to be still mass produced.
    Da, Tovarisch!

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post

Da, Tovarisch!
    I figured you knew what you wanted to say, just was pointing out that the mass production wasn't the problem. The problem was their reasonably free access to resources was quickly diminishing causing them to use sub par resources to continue required output. Being in the process of losing a war tends to do that.

edit: It showed more in Japan due to their greater reliance on imports for materials in comparison to Germany.
    Last edited by Tellenta; November 25 2013 at 07:22:21 PM.

take a look at this sling mount under mossberg 500 accessories on MSP

My Dad went with a Colt LE6920, took it out a couple weekends ago. The trigger is shit but otherwise it shot great.

Also, I made my longest perfect shot to date with my .243 - hit within 2cm of center bullseye at 300m
    Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

My Dad went with a Colt LE6920, took it out a couple weekends ago. The trigger is shit but otherwise it shot great.

Also, I made my longest perfect shot to date with my .243 - hit within 2cm of center bullseye at 300m
    It's Timney time!

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar

But also shit.

So my mom works in Bagram AFB in afghanistan, and apparently there is a shop there that sells old BP rifles.

She took some (incredibly tiny and blurry) pictures of a couple of them; can anyone help me identify them?

I'm pretty sure this is a Martini-Henry

looks like a bolt action; I'm more interested in the pair of gold-gilded muskets in the background
    e. so after some google-fu those are afghan jezail muskets that were cobbled together from brown besses and the stocks were inlaid with bone and brass. Not very rare, but imo pretty neat. although apparently the ones they sell near big military bases tend to be tourist fodder and not exactly originals.

I'm guessing a Snider Enfield

No freaking idea, image is too blurry

I've asked her to get some more pictures that are not shot with a potato; meanwhile, anyone know what's a good price for these? Also, anyone know what the general process is for getting some BP rifles imported to the US? Would it be easier/cheaper just to find some stateside and buy those?

as for the ammo, unless i want to spend $10 a pop, i'll need to finally get a reloading press and maybe even fireform some brass if those are too hard to find. but i'll worry about that later.

also, if i could get one imported, which would FHC recommend?
    Last edited by Soapy5; December 28 2013 at 06:33:02 AM.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Soapy5 View Post
    So my mom works in Bagram AFB in afghanistan, and apparently there is a shop there that sells old BP rifles.

She took some (incredibly tiny and blurry) pictures of a couple of them; can anyone help me identify them?

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/sqVBGXS.jpg/IMG]
    I'm pretty sure this is a Martini-Henry

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/vLMPOAt.jpg/IMG]
    looks like a bolt action; I'm more interested in the pair of gold-gilded muskets in the background

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Xg9C1su.jpg/IMG]
    I'm guessing a Snider Enfield

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/STVWZ4x.jpg/IMG]
    No freaking idea, image is too blurry

I've asked her to get some more pictures that are not shot with a potato; meanwhile, anyone know what's a good price for these? Also, anyone know what the general process is for getting some BP rifles imported to the US? Would it be easier/cheaper just to find some stateside and buy those?

as for the ammo, unless i want to spend $10 a pop, i'll need to finally get a reloading press and maybe even fireform some brass if those are too hard to find. but i'll worry about that later.

also, if i could get one imported, which would FHC recommend?
    Well, here is the deal. Those Afghans have been selling those rifles to us since we showed up in 2001 heck I bought one for the lawls. There is a 99.99% chance that the stamps are fake, the parts are manufactured and assembled by some enterprising Afghans and the stock is made from what is called Afghan butt wood (I'm not sure why I think it has to do with the smell from burning). It is either a faked Tower or and Enfield with a very small chance that it is legit, there is a story behind how the rifles got there. The short version is they were sold to the US during one of our wars, I believe the Civil war. They were never used and were then resold to Afghanistan during one of their wars. The total quantity is numbered in the thousands, I think it was five thousand or so.

So what I am essentially getting at is that your mother should not purchase that rifle unless one of two things are two. One, she thinks it looks pretty and wouldn't mind having it as a collectors item/display thing. Or two, she has a weapons historian around that she can use to verify whether it is legit or not and wants to take advantage of the fact that they are selling them for $100 or so and she can resell in the U.S. or wherever for a few thousand.

Anyways that's my advice.

Edit: as for importing the rifle, it is a simple "antique" registration and it can be imported no muss no fuss. There are approx zero hoops to jump through to purchase it and none of the standard fire arms permits/background check whatever apply. Basically all she needs is to go to the MP's get one of the forms, it's a basic write what it is in the proper location sign and date. They sign and date it and maybe put a stamp on it (the paper). She can now attach it to the rifle with a rubber band, but it in a box and mail it home.
    Last edited by Tellenta; December 28 2013 at 08:27:26 AM.

smuggo
    Ref those choggie Enfields... unless you can guarantee it's 100% legit don't under any circumstances fire it. Quality control in those knock off workshops is pretty much non existant.

Donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    Ref those choggie Enfields... unless you can guarantee it's 100% legit don't under any circumstances fire it. Quality control in those knock off workshops is pretty much non existant.
    Chances are the knock off shops only really build the trigger to be "functional", the blasting cap hole thingy probably doesn't reach the barrel to ignite the powder.

so i did some more researching, and yea at best one of the guns will be cobbled together from actual like guns; technically serviceable but not exactly a collectors item. At worst they got a incomplete gun and made the missing pieces to make it look complete (hard to tell by the qualit of the pic, but looking at the snider-enfield trigger, it looks very crude compared to enfield pics i found on the internet). If i was there myself i'd be more comfortable buying one, since there are some ways to find fakes (stampings, level of patina, etc), but my mom knows fuckall about guns. If the price is low enough, i might have her get that jezail musket to hang on a wall since its so unique. It'll go well with the afghan war rug.
    Last edited by Soapy5; December 28 2013 at 08:08:52 PM.