hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 78 FirstFirst 1234561353 ... LastLast

Thread: Photography Megathread

Re: Photography Megathread

Oh hey aquariums! My sister asked me to take some pics of her own seafood tank, but she's missing one of the lights necessary to get proper light suitable for photography without setting the colour balance up in some elaborate annoying way :/. Tl;dr had no light to work with and brought the wrong lens.

It's the same guys in all the seawater aquariums

Spoiler:
    a large faecal log spread out on the oversized scrotum of a domestic pig
      Spoiler:

Bro told me today he got some jellyfish now. Next opportunity shall show if they're photogenic.

These will give you some idea of the scale of the PLET. I took these pics but I didn't use my own camera so I can't remember what I was shooting with. One of the field engineers loaned me a really nice digital camera with a couple different nice lenses to take these pictures.

This is the only pic I didn't take myself, but it helps to give an idea of scale. The aforementioned field engineer took this pic from the chopper as he flew in. You can see the big yellow thing on the starboard(right) side of the vessel, this is the PLET before it was connected to the pipeline.

This is the PLET as they were bringing it into the workstation. It is about 40' from top to bottom

The PLET being launched.

Quote Originally Posted by Hast
    I was implying that the weather in the north sea was worse then in the gulf of mexico :P
    Ahh, I gotcha. Yeah most of the time that's true. At least you don't get hurricanes though, small mercy I suppose. Like saying 'I get kicked in the face every day, but at least they're not wearing cleats!'

Can someone sticky this thread?

exif says Nikon D80 for those pics btw

Yeah, so I failed hard. Attempting to redeem myself
    Wanting to start doing some macro and still life to learn about lighting some more. Thinking some used extension tubes are the way to go to get started.

Wakeboarding and Capoeira from a couple of weeks back:

7 by ausemmao, on Flickr

3 by ausemmao, on Flickr

P4 by ausemmao, on Flickr

Jogo 1 by ausemmao, on Flickr

Voxen: Those were awesome! Moar?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN
    ]Voxen: Those were awesome! Moar?
    Thanks Lowa - just for you:

Seattle 2 years ago - This particular shot won 1st overall in the local county fair. They said they couldn't tell if I had photoshopped the blue into the photo or not. As per the rules I told them no - I just waited till that magical timeframe called the blue hour to snap the photo.

The following are a couple of shots from the 2010 Perseids Meteor Shower. I wish I had taken more time to get it all right to be honest -

Andromeda - the Andromeda Galaxy is center frame - in the super hi res you can actually make out the central disc and all. I was pretty happy about that. Next time I will bring my scope to camera t-mount for serious deep sky imaging.

The Heart of the Galaxy - one of the few times here up north we can see Sagittarius and the central dust cloud of the milky way. Light pollution is what makes it glow unfortunately in this frame. Even in Mt. Rainier National Park

Jupiter - towards the end of my timelapse, Jupiter came into frame. As with the previous shot, meteors show up in the photo.

And my failed timelapse - I basically was to much in a rush since I brought my family up with me. It takes a gargantuan effort to keep 4 kids occupied on an all nighter. Next time I am rollin solo lol.
    [youtubehd:28d0l4gr]dWL6trM-wfw[/youtubehd:28d0l4gr]

Quote Originally Posted by zergl
    (...)

Not too bad for free handed 2 second exposure, imo.
    No not bad at all! A little clean up in post and that would be an "artsy" shot. I like!

Those are amazing Voxen.

I don't get much opportunity to take photos myself. I wouldn't just walk out to somewhere and start snapping, so the last stuff I did was on a photowalk. But the idea of astralphotography really intrigues me. That I'd be learning about space and stars and shit at the same time makes it even more appealing.

Some day, when I'm rich...

omgitsfullofstars! Thank you!

Could have used you right now (or perhaps a good camera kit). Im looking at a big bright orange moon with excellent sharpness of the "continents".
    Tried taking a pic with my shitty pocket cam but it was so terrible I became angry for a moment. Then kept on starring, even pulled up my shitty binoculars, it looks awesome.

Its a starry night too, crisp clear skies. Man...I need to get myself a good housing and a big ass lens. :P

e: btw, can you see all that detail in the sky without the camera lens?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

A few that I've taken with my Nikon D90:

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator

Went for a nice three and a half hour walk today.

This thread down on the fourth page? BLASPHEMY!

Quote Originally Posted by Voxen Tass
    Quote Originally Posted by zergl
    (...)

Not too bad for free handed 2 second exposure, imo.
    No not bad at all! A little clean up in post and that would be an "artsy" shot. I like!
    Thanks.

Also your timelapse and long exposure star shots are :awes:
    I've been wanting to try that for some time already but the effort that I assume is involved in post processing those has kept me from trying it out so far.

To not post without a pic:

Action shot I took from a 9-Ball break at a billiards tournament last saturday. Harry Stolka has literally the bestest break.
    I'm starting to really appreciate burst for that stuff and might be tempted in the long term to upgrade to whatever successor the 7D gets when it comes out for even faster burst fps.

voxen how do you take pics like those of the stars?
    Hey, I just met you,
    and this is crazy
    but here's my number,
    so call me, maybe?

These are from Western North Carolina. Taken by me with just a 5.0 hand held mega pixel camera

lasers l o l
    Hey, I just met you,
    and this is crazy
    but here's my number,
    so call me, maybe?

Volcano vs lightning

epicness