hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Star Citizen Discussion

At this point I have invested more hours in X4 than I have invested SEK in this game that I haven't even been able to play yet.

Been playing more than ever, while there is a lot of stuff to do. I still find the content to be low.
    Bought a 400i ingame, okay ship. Did take an unholy amount of ERT missions.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

500 MILLION DONATED SO FAR

Jesus H Christ.

i used to kickstart stuff before kickstart even started Donor Hayes DuSid's Avatar
    I fly a space truck and relax.

I'm good with them making any money they make now, I've got a good time with occasional dog fights.

[[Not my picture, my graphics settings aren't as pretty as this, and I try to trade on the day side of planets only if possible.]]
    "How fleeting are all human passions compared to the massive continuity of ducks."- Dorothy L.
    Sayers, Gaudy Night (1935)

Short summary for those that didn't watch the CitizenCon for this year.

i used to kickstart stuff before kickstart even started Donor Hayes DuSid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Short summary for those that didn't watch the CitizenCon for this year.
    That video is solid but Noobifier's one on the CR rambling video is also kinda needed:

Still, a pretty relaxed Citizen Con, maybe keeping a lower profile helps with setting our expectations. Can't build the excitement 3 years before beta or whatever the plan is.
    "How fleeting are all human passions compared to the massive continuity of ducks."- Dorothy L.

From all these clips seems the game development builds are years ahead of what we got.
    All of it pending because of Persistent Entity Streaming.

Its now 3 weeks delayed for Evocati.

From all these clips seems the game development builds are years ahead of what we got.
    All of it pending because of Persistent Entity Streaming.

Its now 3 weeks delayed for Evocati.
    Realistically, the dev builds don't have to manage networking, a problem they haven't worked past. If we were making a single player game only or a local lan game, I think we'd be closer to the edge of what they're working on right now, but since they're pitching an online game, we get what they can make work online which is just not as much.

Also, I have no faith in stuff CIG shows me until it's in player hands for a while, the vertical slice, hearing them talk about how they've played through the missions for years... all sorts of stuff that may be true but has not helped get us to a finished product has been spouted over the years.

I am interested to see how salvaging changes my weekly play sessions, I have been a little lazy with only doing bounty hunting and feeling a mite bored. Fighting is fun but fighting for 4 hours gets a bit boring if you repeat it too often. I could do deliveries or trading but like I said, been lazy and didnt want to figure out what to trade or begin box missions from the bottom again.

If salvaging makes an okay amount without too much hassle, I'll happily put on a podcast and rip some ships apart.

watched all the stuffs.

came away with the feeling that SQ42 is even further away than even my current pessimistic views had led me to think.

I honestly thought this would finally be the CitCon with an epic SQ42 reveal for at least the first chapter etc...

lol. i r dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandzibar View Post
    watched all the stuffs.

came away with the feeling that SQ42 is even further away than even my current pessimistic views had led me to think.

I honestly thought this would finally be the CitCon with an epic SQ42 reveal for at least the first chapter etc...

lol. i r dumb.
    So, I hate feeling like someone on this forum is genuine but assuming you actually had hopes for this year, the thing that has helped me most with managing expectations with star citizen actually comes from the reddit. With the roadmap either not maintained well or no longer a thing, I haven't seen one in a while, but there used to be regular 'unofficial real progress reports' on the subreddit based on progress made vs goals listed and shockingly, it was pretty solid on some medium to long term goals and their actual release windows (obviously with some give and take).

According to those, 2025-2026 was their best guestimate for beta and maybe the release of the first part of Squadron 42. They admittedly predicted slavaging out by July of this year, but I won't hold that degree of delay magic against them.

Once I stopped listening to hopes and dreams and paid attention to : 'Hey this might be completely wrong but we plotted progress by what they've done to predict the future.' and suddenly I felt way better about grinding progress.

Meanwhile I play for around 4 hours a week with friends and half of that is easily spent just chatting while cruising in quantum so I'm already kinda happy. My standards might be too low.

So I really, really wanted this. From the start and for a long time. It looks fantastic, I want to be in this shit so much...
    But lets be real here, if they havent figured out the networking by now its never going to happen.

It just isnt, no amount of "I want to believe" is going to change that. Even IF the game is ever released why are they trying to make it for a massive amount of players, its NEVER going to have massive/millions of players, at best its going to be eve numbers (and not peak eve) and that is no longer hard to do.
    I'd be happy with a good single player, and it could have been done, but lately I dont think even that will happen.

As I said, I had high hopes for a long time, dude is a legend. I've watched videos, talks and blogs. Jealousy has gripped me over things that looks fuckin awesome that I cant play (not good enough HW) but one way or the other reality has hit. It is never going to happen, at best its coming out but at as a bottom level experience. It has become an unintentional scam. It could have been something truly amazing but it can/will never live up to the hype. And it makes me sad and mad.

But hey, its just me. Everyone is free to do and enjoy what they like in their own quiet time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

The "networking" in Star Citizen is going to be unique.
    In EVE when you go from one system to the next, you are in most cases swapped from one server to the next.
    Star Citizen's approach would be, you fly through the game and seamlessly and instantly load onto the next server.
    This is the server meshing technology, it could be anything. Landing at a space station full of ppl, you seamlessly load onto another instance.

With Persistent Entity Streaming, everything is permanently stored in the game (except some junk items that gets wiped after X time).
    If you leave anything in game, it will stay there. And solar systems being 64million km x 64m km x 64m km it is a lot of physical space to keep track of.

And that is why they are having problems and the first attempted at coding it failed. 3-4 years work scrapped.

nope, this was already done in Ultima online 30 years ago.
    you would notice this server transition because you would always lag or rubber-band in some places. That was a server transition.

If they manage to get it working at all, it will be the same as in UO back in the day, and those server "seams" will be a nice spot for item duping and other exploits.
    also, like demostrated in eve, what happens if more than the supported number of players are trying to get into one "server"?
    Do you bounce off an invisible wall in space?
    does performance degrade after the boundary?
    What happens to a player who is "on the other side" of the server boundary? can he see you and interact with you?
    This is a hard problem. I doubt they will manage it.

If it ever exists
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Small change which will have huge impact on the game

Can I give this a go on a 1050 Ti graphics card?
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    NO

My build - It's pretty clunky with this....

i7 2700K @ 4Ghz
    32GB DDR3 @ 668MHz
    3071MB GTX 1080TI pushing a 3440x1440@100Hz monitor
    Dedicated SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarp View Post
    My build - It's pretty clunky with this....

i7 2700K @ 4Ghz
    32GB DDR3 @ 668MHz
    3071MB GTX 1080TI pushing a 3440x1440@100Hz monitor
    Dedicated SSD.
    I have the same cpu, my ram is dd4 but I don't think it'd make a huge difference, and I'm running a GTX 980 ti, but I play at 1080. I get the game keeping 30fps pretty acceptably as long as I keep volumetric clouds off.