hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them

Thread: The Riftbreaker - Factorio meets Total Annihilation meets Diablo

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar

The Riftbreaker - Factorio meets Total Annihilation meets Diablo

Title says it all. It is good. Hopefully multiplayer coming in future updates as coop survival will be fun

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    LINK

I COULD HAVE USED THIS TIME TO GOOGLE IT

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator whispous's Avatar
    Eh. It will live and die by it's depth of automation processes and logistics.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    locking again cos you're all getting weird and being autists about tyres

Nah, this one puts emphasis on action. It will live and die by having cool gadgets and weapons to play with. And cool enemies to use them on.

After playing it obsessively for a couple weeks, I have... not a huge desire to play more. It's good, but it's lacking in depth, and the UI has some shortcomings that are a bit baffling from a game that's supposedly full release rather than early access.

After a while, it feels very repetitive, and I feel like the weapon balance is wonky AF. Like, the big things the raingun is supposed to be good for is shooting through lots of enemies, right? Except the shotgun does that too. The difference between "Shoot through all the enemies" and "shoot through the first dozen" isn't that big at the ranges we're dealing with.

I pretty much beat the game just using the shotguns. Nothing else feels as powerful when it comes to clearing waves. That might change if I turn the difficulty up to max and the shotties no longer wipe out entire waves in one to two charged blasts, but I don't really see the other weapons shining more. The variably weapon stats are... eh? I dunno. When a gun can do between 2k and 3k dps, and you spend the resources to make one and get one that does 2k, and you gotta decide whether to make another in hopes of getting something better, that just feels like RNG for RNG's sake. I guess there needs to be some reason to keep accumulating the rare lategame resources?

I'm not sure what it needs. More enemies, and a balancing pass to bring the other weapons in line with the best couple? Otherwise, yeah... things just get repetitive. Gather more resources, build more walls, build more turrets, repeat until base is tough enough to survive final battle.

I found it really, really fun... for a while.
    Quarantined and loving life.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    I agree re: some UI shortcomings, theres lots of low hanging fruit quality of life changes they could make.

A patch this week is supposed to dramatically alter campaign difficulties and other factors.

I played 25 hours, beat the campaign and am now taking a break but I can see myself playing it again at a higher difficulty after a few major patches.

It's well worth the cost and supporting an indy dev with such an usual play vision is always a plus.

I was pretty well convinced that multiplayer was a pipe dream, but apparently it's on the new road map:

Now, whether they'll be able to do it any time soon is a different matter. Factorio had some challenges to overcome to make sure the AI behaved consistently across different players. However, given how predictable/simple the AI seems to be in this one, maybe that won't be an issue.

Co-op has some definite potential to be awesome. Might be another great game for me and the wife where she can hang back and build the base while I run around stomping badguys.
    Quarantined and loving life.

Was there for quite some time. That's their main focus atm.