hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hail science! (general science thread)

Storage and high efficiency transfer lines globally. High voltage DC lines should have better efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Storage and high efficiency transfer lines globally. High voltage DC lines should have better efficiency.
    Relying on third world countries to be your main source of energy never came to bite us in the ass rite?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Relying on third world countries to be your main source of energy never came to bite us in the ass rite?
    It's more of a question of mutual load sharing with renewables, lessening the needs for storage than importing cheap "that pollution isn't our problem" power. Being mutually interconnected and having to rely on the grid for balancing your own needs should be a stabilizing factor, as with renewables you can be an exporter today and importer tomorrow depending on the weather.

The external cost of fossil fuels is going to be pretty fucking expensive mate.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

It's the seasonal variance that kills you in the end and which i thought you're referring to. Some people have ideas of solar plants in sahara and large dc cables to europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    Solar and windfarm efficiency is pmuch where its at. Even solar farms are nearing whats sensible in scale for electricity production. They are being held back by energy storage systems.
    Right, of course.

What I meant to say is that it's not technological advancements that currently holds us back in upping the renewable game. It's practical implementation of all that's necessary.

Until that gets developed to be cost competitive (or feasible even) there isnt really much sense to increase solar capacity.
    But we need to overcome that attitude. It needs to be build yesterday, regardless of the costs. Because when not doing so, the price we pay is literally mankind's existence.

You literally have other options in form of nuclear power that is better and cheaper than going head-on with solar & storage. If its acceptable politically its a different matter tho...

Better? Depends on one's definition of "better", I guess. For me it's not.

But cheaper? Seriously? We've been through this a couple of times before here. At least in Germany, nuclear power is the most expensive source of energy there is. Nothing else comes even close.

If it was too good to be true the fossil fuel industry will have murdered her by now.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

I was listening to a podcast from lady preaching for geothermic energy using a closed CO2 cycle, talking about it as the panacea thanks to using oil drillers' skills for the tunneling, with the result of converting oil industrial complex dudes into geothermic, and being a net CO2 drain since you need to pump CO2 in the closed cycle to start it (and I guess mantain any losses)

Sounded too good to be true, what's the catch? I guess cost? From what she was saying, the learning curve is at its infancy.
    My solo pvp video: Yankunytjude... That attitude!
    Solo/small gang proposal: Ship Velocity Vectors

The catch with geothermic is that it is hard and location dependent: https://newsfounded.com/finlandeng/f...mical-economy/ Our project hit a roadblock because the bedrock at the end of the 7km deep holes is too good and can't be made to fracture as planned for the water to circulate. The plan was to use the fractured rock for heat exchange and pump water down one hole and up the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Better? Depends on one's definition of "better", I guess. For me it's not.

But cheaper? Seriously? We've been through this a couple of times before here. At least in Germany, nuclear power is the most expensive source of energy there is. Nothing else comes even close.
    Thats why Germans have the cheapest electricity and french the most expensive rite?

Ah that sucks. Now that you mention location that lady was selling it as location independent because of close loop cycle, but made absolutely no mention of rock solidity :-/
    My solo pvp video: Yankunytjude... That attitude!
    Solo/small gang proposal: Ship Velocity Vectors

Banned Movember 2011Movember 2012
    Artists are the latest victims of automation.

"Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    tbf if they're the sort of artists making that noncey shite maybe it's for the best

When is AI gonna start making and selling NFTs to themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    I am already enjoying myself loads with this NFT idiocy and the robbery, pls pls let skynet chime in!
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    I'm pretty sure this somehow already happens as there are for sure NFT arbitrage trading bots out there. And given the "quality" of NFTs I've seen, there's also a good chance that some random scripts created these.

https://www.metaltechnews.com/story/...riend/962.html

Nice stuff. might change many industrial processes for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jiensai View Post
    https://www.metaltechnews.com/story/...riend/962.html

Nice stuff. might change many industrial processes for the better.
    Jokes on them! I make my own Platinum in Dodixie at planet 1 moon 9.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..