hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RC noob help thread

RC noob help thread

I decided to go head in into RC airplanes hobby and now I am completely lost where to start and I could use some help

What I am trying to do:
    I would like to build my own plane from Styrofoam. As an Kerbal Space program veteran I think I have basic idea what needs to be done
    Should be cheap enough to build/repair/rebuild/repeat. Plenty of material on intertubes to get me started.

What the problem is:
    I don't know which parts to buy. I figured I want to buy Radiomaster TX16S as my radio, but I can't figure out with which radio receiver to pair it with. Any suggestions/reading material? The stuff I did find assumes you know what you are doing, which in my case is wrong assumption...

Suggestions on motor and battery appreciated.

Any RC experts around?
    Hiro Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Corwyna View Post
    I decided to go head in into RC airplanes hobby and now I am completely lost where to start and I could use some help

What I am trying to do:
    I would like to build my own plane from Styrofoam. As an Kerbal Space program veteran I think I have basic idea what needs to be done
    Should be cheap enough to build/repair/rebuild/repeat. Plenty of material on intertubes to get me started.

What the problem is:
    I don't know which parts to buy. I figured I want to buy Radiomaster TX16S as my radio, but I can't figure out with which radio receiver to pair it with. Any suggestions/reading material? The stuff I did find assumes you know what you are doing, which in my case is wrong assumption...

Any RC experts around?
    give smarnca a poke on discord, he was into that sort of thing?

Pls post updates once you get going, interested
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

What I am trying to do:

What the problem is:

Any RC experts around?
    smarnca pointed out this thread may help?

http://failheap-challenge.com/showth...ighlight=stuff

Looks like I was part of that thread. What is Smarnca's nick on Discord?
    Hiro Cor

Just buy the most expensive parts and give up at the start of the assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Just buy the most expensive parts and give up at the start of the assembly.
    I'm trying to figure out what goes with what
    Hiro Cor

Oh fellow RC noob here. Rather than planes though, i'm trying to learn then eventually 3d print a Antweight battlebot. Partly to amuse myself, partly to amuse my son.
    I think i've a grip on the parts i need, and how to get on with it, but it'll be a long rocky road.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

So for the updates, I got the radio ordered, motor and ESC (whatever that is) are on the way. I found out there is a highly recommended RC shop basically in my street (I'm new here) and hopefully they are speaking English (Croatian in Czech exile).
    What was concerning me the most is the combination of radio receiver and battery and the shop people should be able to resolve that for me. From their e-shop they seem to be well stocked.
    Hiro Cor

The forums i have been loitering around reccomend these really highly: FlySky i6 Transmitter. (Excuse the amazon link!)

ESC are speed controllers i think, so you can hook up the motors and it ensures they drive you left/right when you need to ? Sound about right ?

Double Update!
    I've nearly finished fixing the wooden v1 robot with some 3d printed parts, and now it' spayday, started tryign to wreck my life:

- decent quality N20 geared motors
    - imported chinatec10 transmitter/reciever small enough for my son to use.

battlebot hosue is go.i'll try to start taking pics once the projects take off a little more

Thx Itiken, but I already chose my transmitter (radio). That was fairly easy part
    So as an update, mistakes were made

I got my radio and it is lovely. I also got my motor, ESC and pair of pusher propellers and ... well... they are slightly (when I say slightly, I mean like order of magnitude) oversized for what I had in mind Like, you could power a real plane with this thing. It has so much mass it could kill someone with a plane dive and good targeting.
    I didn't get a chance to go to the RC shop yet, think most of my questions and problems regarding hardware should be solved there.
    Hiro Cor

Thx Itiken, but I already chose my transmitter (radio). That was fairly easy part
    So as an update, mistakes were made

I got my radio and it is lovely. I also got my motor, ESC and pair of pusher propellers and ... well... they are slightly (when I say slightly, I mean like order of magnitude) oversized for what I had in mind Like, you could power a real plane with this thing. It has so much mass it could kill someone with a plane dive and good targeting.
    I didn't get a chance to go to the RC shop yet, think most of my questions and problems regarding hardware should be solved there.
    Quote Originally Posted by smarnca
    It's good that you found an RC shop I'm sure they'll be eager to help you out (and sell you some of their products).
    Basically the weight of your model really matters and everything depends on it. The heavier the model the better motor, bigger prop, bigger ESC, servos and battery you'll need.
    Electric RC planes are powered by brushless motors nowadays because they are light. Those motors then connect to the ESC (speed controler (regulator struje)) and ESC is connected to the battery and the receiver. Receiver is also connected to servo motors (servos) which move your control surfaces.

Since you already have a transmitter (Tx) I wont recommend a new one but I used to be a big fan of Spectrum Dx6i or FrSky Taranis.

Now on the subject of how to select a proper motor and propeller for your model? Well I cant really help you there since the boys in my rc club always told me what to buy.

Unfortunatelly I have completely stopped flying RC planes and am no longer involved in the hobby which is why I have sold/donated most of my stuff away. I'll try to help the best I can but I have forgotten many things.
    I would really recommend you join an RC club that operates in your area or just ask the dudes at the store on what you need.

back when forums were a not so dead thing on the interwebs there were hundreds of rc forums out there with people to ask and free scematics for builds. Shoud be something like that left out there in the digital desert.

...but basicly, as long as you build it light and know how to balance it, (just infront of the center of the wing) you can't relay go wrong. Wing high, weight low and have fun.
    With a high wing the plane wil balance itself out and you can pretty much steer it with just the side rudder.
    It can actualy be helpfull to look at old pre-war airplanes for inspiration since you'll want something easy to build and that goes slow and stable. And you realy do want it to go slow in the start. fast planes are crashes waiting to happen

New motors have arrived. these are apaprently equivalent:

Well, I managed to get to the RC shop and I think I'm ready to to start

Some soldering was required for ESC connector to battery. I managed to connect everything up and bind the receiver to radio. Connected just one servo for test purposes.

That is it for now, got to go by some building materials in hardware shop. For bonus points I figured out how to bind my Sky-King to my radio (this is the only RC plane I've ever flown before. Battle scars are my kid's doing )

Hiro Cor

Crikey, things have moved on in the world of RC since I was active nearly 3 decades ago.

It is a severe lack of a manly 1m long antenna on that radio.

Looks like I was part of that thread. What is Smarnca's nick on Discord?
    Smarnca. He is banned off of hel's discord but can speak to him on Stoffl's

Good shit going down there dude

Finaly parts are coming together for a simple wedge-bot right now. I realised though that i'd forgotten a voltage regulator and on/off switch!

The body's being printed right now so hopefully have something to show for my efforts this week!
    Last edited by Itiken; July 4 2021 at 06:47:18 PM.

printed.
    yea now I feel old for thinking of balsa and silk-paper builds.