hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Humankind - interesting take on a Civi-style game

So what is best, A city with my Outposts connected to it. Or many Cities.

As I have started on my conquest of free nations. I am getting a lot of cities.
    They are just expensive to develop and maintain.
    Is there a way to merge cities ?
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post

Hiro Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Corwyna View Post

oof,

I'm just two stars into the Classical Era.
    But science wise, not too far away.

I seem to remember that quill mentioned three zones*) connected to a city is kinda the sweet spot. He did the math and showed how much influence a 4th connection would cost (240 or 250, IIRC) = the cost of a new city with another three connected zones.

*) That may have been 3 zones in total, i.e. the zone with the city + 2 connected ones, not sure right now. Nonetheless, the next one would cost the aformentioned amount of influence.

Took a long time to get into 2nd era, then blam. 3-4-5 in very quick succession.
    Avoided war and troops for as long as possible. First war started at turn 190-195. And ended on 201.

Was a huge disappointment. I managed to only get 2 of their 8 territories.
    Costs 80 "war points" for each district you demand as spoils.

When you got 3 cities with 70-80 in population, you can spawns armies so quickly.

The special resources are way too scarce.
    Finished game at turn 300.

I got planes before I got gun powder..

And somehow cities you conquer costs 2-3x in Influence to merge.
    Paying 90k influence to merge a shitty city gtfo?

yeah the balance is all over the place, but mostly it's just too easy

i stopped at turn 110 or something because i had nothing to build

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post

Have you tried advancing to next era?

I think he means one of these cases where there is no more room to build on in a sector.
    Look at that merge costs! It is play dumb.

You're supposed to attach outposts in advance if you want more space. Merging developed cities should be mega expensive. Basically you've made mistake earlier and are being punished for bad play. Time will tell if such concept has any place in game design AD 2021. So far, I'm having a blast wrapping my head around mechanics and developing strategies.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post

Have you tried advancing to next era?
    Yes i'm in the middle ages, why?

You're supposed to attach outposts in advance if you want more space. Merging developed cities should be mega expensive. Basically you've made mistake earlier and are being punished for bad play. Time will tell if such concept has any place in game design AD 2021. So far, I'm having a blast wrapping my head around mechanics and developing strategies.
    Not that simple, after a certain time all unclaimed territories gets taken by neutral factions.
    They are instant cities so when you take them, you have a city you can't merge until you hit 3rd Era technology.

And it is super expensive to slam down outposts so far away.

Not that simple, after a certain time all unclaimed territories gets taken by neutral factions.
    They are instant cities so when you take them, you have a city you can't merge until you hit 3rd Era technology.

Hmm, I didn't get neutrals taking unclaimed territories. Just sticking to the ones they spawned with. Might be related to difficulty setting. I'm playing at metropolis. Will bump it up higher but I'm already having trouble keeping up with ai and finished my last two games 2nd or 3rd at 300 turns.

Hmm, I didn't get neutrals taking unclaimed territories. Just sticking to the ones they spawned with. Might be related to difficulty setting. I'm playing at metropolis. Will bump it up higher but I'm already having trouble keeping up with ai and finished my last two games 2nd or 3rd at 300 turns.
    At turn 296 the AI at second place got 1200 fame knocking me down to 2nd.
    GG.

At what levels are you playing? I've finished two 300 turn games and wiped the floor with AI on default settings. I had neither problems of running out of space or merge being too expensive, Ive done several merges over 30k. I also had a single town connecting all areas on continent (I was the first with the boat so claimed whole continent that was empty).
    Hiro Cor

Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    So it's exactly like Civ except for some minor flourishes. It sounds more like a Civ game than some Civ games are like each other.
    TBF Civ 6 copied some concepts from Endless Legend, such as building city districts on their own tiles. While Humankind is obviously the same kind of game as Civ the actual implementation feels very different and more original than the last couple of Civ games.

I'm having lots of fun with it, still in my first game.

At what levels are you playing? I've finished two 300 turn games and wiped the floor with AI on default settings. I had neither problems of running out of space or merge being too expensive, Ive done several merges over 30k. I also had a single town connecting all areas on continent (I was the first with the boat so claimed whole continent that was empty).
    In my limited experience so far, boat rush seems favourable.

What difficulty are you playing on? That probably makes all the difference. I'm playing on Nation so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Spank View Post
    In my limited experience so far, boat rush seems favourable.

What difficulty are you playing on? That probably makes all the difference. I'm playing on Nation so far.
    Think I was playing on Metropolis, the default/normal difficulty, which is one level under Nation. I was planning to start next games on harder levels.
    Hiro Cor

Amount of cities is a bigger limiter than the amount of gold (if you go that way on the civics tree) or influence attaching costs. My last game i went with merchant cultures all the way, was making 100k+ gold per turn in the last era.
    Could just buy any and all infrastructure i wanted, merge any territory/city. If you wanna be a conqueror, throwing in some of the influence cultures into your mix is necessary.
    So far i'm really liking this game, its mechanics are more intuitive than civ 6 and the gameplay just feels smoother overall. Though i also have found that the late game strategic resources are a bit too rare. Last game only had 2 aluminium deposits in the whole world.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggbert View Post
    Though i also have found that the late game strategic resources are a bit too rare. Last game only had 2 aluminium deposits in the whole world.
    This. I finished my first game, was super peaceful, allied as many people as I could. Due to luck and a low difficulty setting, I was way ahead of all but one civ. I couldn't finish the space race because I lacked the resources. There were enough seeded, but not all civs could extract them, thus locking me out. Took until the last few turns for them to catch up and me to rush the last project.
    nevar forget