hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Humankind - interesting take on a Civi-style game

Humankind - interesting take on a Civi-style game

I'm quite surprised that we don't have a Humankind threat already - at least the form search didn't find one.

For those unaware: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1124300/HUMANKIND/

quill18 has some sponsored closed beta streams (first part below) and he (and apparently also other streamers) are in the game as playable rulers*), even having recorded their own voice lines.

So far I find the take on an Civilization game quite interesting and refreshing. And the visuals are well done for a strategy game. This ofc isn't the point of a good game, but if the game(play) otherwise is fine, that's this finishing nice touch that distinguishes it from all the other games.

*) One can earn it and access to the closed beta by watching streams.

Latest beta 'Poe' won't launch for me otherwise I'm all in. Seems to have quite a bit of balancing needed and the combat mechanics are a bit wonky. If it ends up anywhere near as good as their previous titles it will be a success.

Launches in about 20 hours. Pre-loadable today 27gb. Will be interesting to see what got polished from the last beta. Was nearly good to go but had some mechanics that felt a little off / unintuitive.

Last edited by Lady Spank; August 16 2021 at 07:15:44 PM.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    how does it compare to civ

That's a hard question to answer - especially from only looking streams, not having played it myself. Though I fully intend to buy it sooner or later.

So here's my take: it has a very very Civ-ish vibe to it. And some mechanics (or even buildings, e.g. "Granary") are similar. Which makes sense for a game that also simulates a civilization progressing through time. But then again it is completely different and resembles more of their "Endless <xyz>" games.

The very obvious main difference from Civ is that you can swap your game-name giving civ 6(?) times during your run (at the start of a new epoch / era). So you pick Egypt as your first civ, then switch to Romans, etc.

Each civ has traits that you inherit for the whole run. E.g. permanent +2 science in your capitol. Then there are unique buildings, which are only available to be build as long as you are that civ. Once you progressed and swapped your civ, you can't build them anymore, but IIRC those that you've got stay (obviously) and also still provide their unique bonuses (not so obvious). Some goes for unique units.

Another very notable difference is how much more terrain seems to matter.

It's hard to describe - you may point out other parts as very similar or totally different, as these are the parts that make the most impact on you in Civ/Humankind.
    Last edited by Hel OWeen; August 17 2021 at 11:30:10 AM.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    So it's exactly like Civ except for some minor flourishes. It sounds more like a Civ game than some Civ games are like each other.

I have never been let down by a Amplitude game.
    Quite different from their Endless series, but they always maintain and update their games for years to come.
    Why is it called earth, when it is mostly water???

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    So it's exactly like Civ except for some minor flourishes.[...]
    I guess that depends on what your indicators for likeliness are. IMHO "Yes" as an answer to that statement is as valid as a response as "No" is. A thing I didn't mention earlier is that the way cities are built and work are quite different from Civ cities. At least that's my opinion. And you could very well make an argument that they work very similar to cities in Civ. And both would be true.

Judge for yourself, quill18's Let's play started with lots of explanation. And yes, that's him as a playable ruler character (amongst other streamers):

It's on MS GamePass. So no need to shell out money to test it. It may become unavailable at some point, but by then one should have figured out whether they like it.

Installing right now.
    nevar forget

Basically if you like 4x and/or history... and don't mind spilling the beans for it; this is a promising game. Enjoying it so far... Only 50 turns in but happy with the experience.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    how does it compare to civ
    like civ, but not
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Spank View Post
    Basically if you like 4x and/or history... and don't mind spilling the beans for it; this is a promising game. Enjoying it so far... Only 50 turns in but happy with the experience.
    A few more turns in.

Civs change each era. No longer do you start the Neolithic as Americans. I think that's bloody awesome. You can keep your Civ though.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Spank View Post
    A few more turns in.

Civs change each era. No longer do you start the Neolithic as Americans. I think that's bloody awesome. You can keep your Civ though.
    So do you have to get rekt by a bigger power or subjugate and genocide someone less developed to become america?

It's Endless Legend with dlcs - Civilization edition. It's amazing. Can't wait for what they have in store with expansions. Very multiplayer friendly as far as game design is considered.

Is influence the only way to upgrade a Outpost to City?

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Technically, no, there is a civ that lets you do that with money.
    Hiro Cor

I've played this for a while last night and I don't get few things.

What is religion supposed to do? Just earn stars with required amount of followers?
    Is there a way to peacefully assimilate another civ? I have dominated most of the world with my religion and most of my continent with my culture and I didn't really see any difference.

Anyway, it all quickly devolved in push next turn fest, but that is usually happens to me in this type of games, so probably the problem is me.
    Hiro Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Corwyna View Post
    I've played this for a while last night and I don't get few things.

What is religion supposed to do? Just earn stars with required amount of followers?
    Is there a way to peacefully assimilate another civ? I have dominated most of the world with my religion and most of my continent with my culture and I didn't really see any difference.

Anyway, it all quickly devolved in push next turn fest, but that is usually happens to me in this type of games, so probably the problem is me.
    Religion gives you tenets and is a source of grievances.

We are worshipping Ferrets, for they keep the rats at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Corwyna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post
    Technically, no, there is a civ that lets you do that with money.
    I was wrong on this one, there is civ that lets you connect outposts with money instead of influence, but not upgrade to city with money
    Hiro Cor