hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 416 of 417 FirstFirst ... 316366406413414415416417 LastLast
Results 8,301 to 8,320 of 8335

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

Holy shit that's all free?

I thought A1 was only webversions?

Also I don't think I get a free trial anymore, my old sub ran out (and I intend to spend less on my next with an edu plan). But you are right, I will simply grab another email address and get a trial that way.

Apparently I can still use the online versions on my account.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Hasn't MS like since forever thrown out free / almost no cost educational licenses?

Hint for the folks in education here: hop over to https://www.isic.org/, navigate to your country's page (that's http://www.isic.de for Germany) and get a card appropriate to you (student / teacher). It costs 15 EUR/year in Germany and provides some nice discounts offered on the site. I've seen MS software offered there in the past.

Full disclosure: due to our target audience, our company has strong business relations with the ISIC organisation.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Hasn't MS like since forever thrown out free / almost no cost educational licenses?

Hint for the folks in education here: hop over to https://www.isic.org/, navigate to your country's page (that's http://www.isic.de for Germany) and get a card appropriate to you (student / teacher). It costs 15 EUR/year in Germany and provides some nice discounts offered on the site. I've seen MS software offered there in the past.

Full disclosure: due to our target audience, our company has strong business relations with the ISIC organisation.
    not even just education, for 10 i can get office posted for home use on a disc, or 5 for download through work. i guess it's just market share they want really.

It's all free and market share related until you notice your documents are actually mirrored and being deep learned from by Microsoft and or third parties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post

not even just education, for 10 i can get office posted for home use on a disc, or 5 for download through work. i guess it's just market share they want really.
    I'm well aware of that, but it's not just MS or software in general that's discounted, other things as well. Those cards are also endorsed by UNESCO and lots of places (e.g. museums) grants you (entrance fee) discounts, too. Museums do so often anyway for students, but they recon the ISIC for what it is: an international accepted verification that your an eligible student, whereas e.g. your local student card, issued by your Finish university doesn't necessarily mean much to a museum in Thailand.

O365 is great for doing things the way Microsoft wants you to do them. If you want to do something your own way, like lock down email access from outside your business, or manually monitor the spam filters, prepare for a world of hurt.

My advice is just do things the way they want you to do them and don't try to be clever.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    O365 is great for doing things the way Microsoft wants you to do them. If you want to do something your own way, like lock down email access from outside your business, or manually monitor the spam filters, prepare for a world of hurt.

My advice is just do things the way they want you to do them and don't try to be clever.
    This

There are very few people in the world who can run email better than Microsoft can (or Google or whatever the other major provider is), you've got to have some pretty major reasons not to use them. Especially when lots of big orgs and govs are moving over to them for email.

Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post

This

There are very few people in the world who can run email better than Microsoft can (or Google or whatever the other major provider is), you've got to have some pretty major reasons not to use them. Especially when lots of big orgs and govs are moving over to them for email.
    Are you not using it or something? Shit break in 365 all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post

This

Are you not using it or something? Shit break in 365 all the time.
    It's very rare that I see the impact of those things breaking. There was a brief outage/slowdown of sharepoint online this week for an hour or two and that about all I've seen for a while.

But I'm using desktop installs of office so maybe the online versions are more flaky. Email and SharePoint seem to be reasonably good (at least as good as sharepoint ever is).

i fucking hate sharepoint

Please enlighten me, what is it and what does it do?

Tapapapatalk

Edit: based on everything I've heard about it: it makes people in IT angry and/or cry.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

Tapapapatalk

Edit: based on everything I've heard about it: it makes people in IT angry and/or cry.
    it's a hosted system that theoretically lets you share files and stuff easily with multiple users. in reality it's a big bag of fucking annoying shite, and googledrive is simpler. we're (local gov) meant to use it, in practice every job i do with external designers etc devolves to us just sending pdfs over email or using googledrive or dropbox

Tapapapatalk

it's a hosted system that theoretically lets you share files and stuff easily with multiple users. in reality it's a big bag of fucking annoying shite, and googledrive is simpler. we're (local gov) meant to use it, in practice every job i do with external designers etc devolves to us just sending pdfs over email or using googledrive or dropbox
    Hm, is the problem with sharing with external partners, or internally as well? We won't share stuff externally anyway for lots and lots of reasons (student data is super top secret) so external sharing isn't an issue. Also I don't really see us sharing that much anyway.

But thanks for the heads up. Good to know which features are more of a hassle and shouldn't be oversold.
    nevar forget

Tapapapatalk

Think of it as a combination of a CMS and DMS. Being a MS product, it tightly integrates into their Office suite, e.g. suppose you created a local Word or Exvel document and upload it to Sharepoint, setting the document's properties for a few to be editable, while other only have readonly access. Now you update your local copy. The integration will take care for that change to be uploaded/sync'd to the published one ... which can cause all kind of irritating side effects: to this day most people don't know the difference between a Office template and a Office document. So everybody creates a document, but tells everyone to use this as a template. Implying people copy it and then fill it out. Now Sharepoint being Sharepoint, it detects the changes and uploads the changes back again ...

I leave it to your imagination what kind of hilarious situations this can cause.

That said: done properly, it does its job. It's also involved in all kind of things you aren't aware of, e.g. if you're using MS Teams (MS' Slack copy, which I personally find quite OK), for every channel you create, MS creates a Sharepoint side behind the scenes, which is the storage spaces for all documents posted to that channel.

Tapapapatalk

Think of it as a combination of a CMS and DMS. Being a MS product, it tightly integrates into their Office suite, e.g. suppose you created a local Word or Exvel document and upload it to Sharepoint, setting the document's properties for a few to be editable, while other only have readonly access. Now you update your local copy. The integration will take care for that change to be uploaded/sync'd to the published one ... which can cause all kind of irritating side effects: to this day most people don't know the difference between a Office template and a Office document. So everybody creates a document, but tells everyone to use this as a template. Implying people copy it and then fill it out. Now Sharepoint being Sharepoint, it detects the changes and uploads the changes back again ...

I leave it to your imagination what kind of hilarious situations this can cause.

That said: done properly, it does its job. It's also involved in all kind of things you aren't aware of, e.g. if you're using MS Teams (MS' Slack copy, which I personally find quite OK), for every channel you create, MS creates a Sharepoint side behind the scenes, which is the storage spaces for all documents posted to that channel.
    I see, thanks.
    nevar forget

Tapapapatalk

I see, thanks.
    It's more than just that though. You can setup work flows so it'll automate some stuff. You can do version controls.. It'll integrate with biztalk so you can go full b2b...

Sharepoint is one of those tools where you can do a lot of things but should do only very few of those.

I always joke that sharepoint is great when you want to lose files, just upload them and they'll be unfindable unless you remember exactly where you put it. Not 100% true, if you tag the Metadata or have Search set up right it's pretty good at finding stuff, but it winds up our sharepoint guys.

Sharepoint is one of those tools where you can do a lot of things but should do only very few of those.
    To be fair if its properly managed by someone that actually knows what they are doing (ie, not the end users) you can do a considerable amount with it without much issue. I've seen some quite amazing stuff done in sharepoint for various businesses that have worked really well. I've also seen it burn to the ground like a pile of steaming poo because it wasn't being managed properly.. I doubt putting it in 365 is going to make much of a difference to its stability because its generally not the infrastructure that screws up.