hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 377 of 380 FirstFirst ... 277327367374375376377378379380 LastLast
Results 7,521 to 7,540 of 7589

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

Quote Originally Posted by theBlind View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Never bent CPU pins before.. (Also, haven't really played with computers since the pins were on the mobo). I HAVE managed to pull a card from a running machine before and force some RAM in backwards (pre-DDR).
    I've been building my own PCs for 15 years (I AM OLD!!!!) and just last year I managed to not rip the PCIe slot off while removing the graphics card. Because the securing thingy broke before the PCIe slot came off. Good engineering, I say.
    I fucking hate those locks. 9 times out of 10 they are completely inaccessible after the rather large video card has been put in..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

13 year old mission critical DB server just shat the bed and died, product deliveries are impaired until break-fix is implemented, i have tried getting this server replaced four times the last two years, the PSU is spotty to it's rebooting and the RAID battery has been dead for years, so it's quite happily destroying the data, one cache-loss-caused-by-reboot-at-a-time right now.

nearest consistent backup is at least two weeks old, existing Vmware cluster is overloaded and it's a 2000 SQL server so it requires physical hardware anyway, oh did i mention it's the DB backend for a fucking sharepoint site ? recovery is going to be SOOO FUN!

:notmyfuckingproblem:
    ushproblemtomanglement:
    :getfreshcupoftea:
    Last edited by Liare; December 22 2016 at 11:07:08 AM.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

I now have Veeam covering all my Virtual hosts yay (this replaces some NT Backup jobs and manual use of synctoy).

Still have to finish off migrating the important servers to the virtual infrastructure to get them covered though, but got the document management systems initial copy started 10mins before I left for the holidays. Good news it has been backing up with out issue since then .

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

Quiet over xmas.. I have been able to give our vmware environment some much needed love. Shit is now running better than it has in a few years, plus backups are back to 100%, plus we have some free space and resources. Its amazing what happens when you patch things.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quiet over xmas.. I have been able to give our vmware environment some much needed love. Shit is now running better than it has in a few years, plus backups are back to 100%, plus we have some free space and resources. Its amazing what happens when you patch things.
    Speaking of VMware... I use it at work so I can access my workspace, but I have no knowledge of how to install, configure or administer it. Tried downloading the linux client on Linux Mint, but it doesn't know how to open a x86_64.bundle file. Some pointers would be appreciated, like whether Workstation Player is even the right piece of software I should be trying.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Speaking of VMware... I use it at work so I can access my workspace, but I have no knowledge of how to install, configure or administer it. Tried downloading the linux client on Linux Mint, but it doesn't know how to open a x86_64.bundle file. Some pointers would be appreciated, like whether Workstation Player is even the right piece of software I should be trying.
    Depends on what you want. Workstation player lets you run a VM on your desktop (which is probably what you want). I actually prefer virtualbox for this but virtualbox has its own annoying quirks. I really have no idea how workstation player works in linux but linux has KVM (or whatever they have changed the name to this month) which is integrated and generally works better.

For the server end, you want ESX, but for this you need hardware that isnt going to be running anything else because its basically its own operating system. I also think its still the best hypervisor on the market simply because it prioritises keeping VMs running above everything else.

vmware player is a amputated vmware workstation, you're losing snapshotting and a bunch of other meaningless features in exchange for not paying for it.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

For me as a Windows kid, VMWare Player was a nice playground to finally get my feets wet with Linux. I'm still not good at Linux, so before doing anything major on the live Linux servers I run (on our VMWare farm), I'll try it out in the Player first. Saved me some headaches already.

I have a laptop that currently has Win7 32-bit installed. Some of the software I'd like to use requires a 64-bit system. All the hardware is 64-bit. Can I use my Win7 64-bit disc and the 32-bit key to install Win7 64-bit?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

I have a laptop that currently has Win7 32-bit installed. Some of the software I'd like to use requires a 64-bit system. All the hardware is 64-bit. Can I use my Win7 64-bit disc and the 32-bit key to install Win7 64-bit?
    no*.

*is it a OEM system, one of the big ones (Dell, HP and so forth) ? because if it is, and you get a OEM media that matches, then yes.
    Viking, n.:

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    no*.

*is it a OEM system, one of the big ones (Dell, HP and so forth) ? because if it is, and you get a OEM media that matches, then yes.
    It's a 5-year-old Dell XPS laptop that originally had Windows XP. Both copies of Win7 were purchased from Newegg, and I'm pretty sure they're both OEM licenses.

It's a 5-year-old Dell XPS laptop that originally had Windows XP. Both copies of Win7 were purchased from Newegg, and I'm pretty sure they're both OEM licenses.
    Shit outta luck then mate

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    no*.

assuming it's a dell OEM media, it wont even ask for the license key it will just read off the BIOS that it's a dell boxen and install, so find one of those and then yes, you can get a 64 bit W7.
    Viking, n.:

why the fucking fuck doesn't the default fucking import of a fucking CSV file into excel read fucking commas as fucking separators.
    fucking still.
    fucksake.
    If only we could find some way to generate electricity from terrible posting. - Steph

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    why the fucking fuck doesn't the default fucking import of a fucking CSV file into excel read fucking commas as fucking separators.
    fucking still.
    fucksake.
    Yeah it reads a tab. I make all my csv files like that.

TSV? is it fucking TSV?

no. CSV. fucking shit
    If only we could find some way to generate electricity from terrible posting. - Steph

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    TSV? is it fucking TSV?

no. CSV. fucking shit
    Honestly don't think anyone in the office team knows what the c is for..

Oh yeah. Good news from the datacenter. One of the vesda tanks exploded and discharged in to the DC.

For us not a lot happened as we seem to have been far enough away from it. One of the clients had a small san sitting next to it. The explosion and subsequent gas damage destroyed 12 of the 14 disks or had. They also apparently had cards dislodge from some servers and a blade needed to be reseated.

Fun times.

idgi I give someone full control permissions to a specific folder on a share drive and it doesn't work, they keep getting permission errors when trying to access the folder but if I change the permissions to the whole drive instead of just the subfolders they need it works. There are no conflicting deny permissions either, idgi idgi

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    idgi I give someone full control permissions to a specific folder on a share drive and it doesn't work, they keep getting permission errors when trying to access the folder but if I change the permissions to the whole drive instead of just the subfolders they need it works. There are no conflicting deny permissions either, idgi idgi
    Share permissions or NTFS permissions?