hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 375 of 394 FirstFirst ... 275325365372373374375376377378385 ... LastLast
Results 7,481 to 7,500 of 7880

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

sometimes i am a bad bad man, such as when i spot a co-worker doing a large file move (18-24 hour transfer time) between two Windows boxes where i know the total path length exceed permissible length per the windows API's, yet i said nothing.

...and then instead mail him the solution two minutes after he rages about the problem.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Making the devs carry the pager is about the most effective method I've seen for making this stop.
    Unless they're shit. I'll never understand the London startup attitude where it's a matter of pride that they regularly get pinged on sixteen devices at the same time by pagerduty whenever something blows up. Build shit to not blow up. It is not hard.
    Make them accountable, with at least bonus implications, if they break the golden SLA. If you can't deliver me code you can't fix in less than 30 minutes, you shouldn't have delivered me that code.
    That's the problem right there: pay your dudes a proper fixed wage, and they could care about the code. Introduce this bonus shit, and see your dudes caring about minmaxing their bonus.

You don't have to take my word for it - there's meanwhile enough research done about how bonus systems are bad for productivity and therefore the company.
    Their performance is judged on delivering good code, and that includes its ability to run in a (in my case) high traffic environment without it becomeing a time suck. If you got dinged and I take 100 bucks off your paycheck, it sort of really doesn't mean shit. It's a visual/social reminder that you broke the contract and is our equivalent of a swear jar. You also get to contribute to the fund if you do things like break trunk, or get caught branching to release without a code review. We have a catered party for successful launches and releases with the money.

I also expect people not to have to work overtime and get angry with them and their managers when they think they have to. It means your planning was shit.

If someone breaks the build at work, he (and it's always a he because our female devs are way better than the guys) has to buy the rest of the team a donut each.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Making the devs carry the pager is about the most effective method I've seen for making this stop.
    Unless they're shit. I'll never understand the London startup attitude where it's a matter of pride that they regularly get pinged on sixteen devices at the same time by pagerduty whenever something blows up. Build shit to not blow up. It is not hard.
    You keep knowing weird people. I've never known anyone who was proud to be paged. What the hell world are these guys in that having their work regularly break is something to be proud of?

My last place had the regular devs on pager and ops as an escalation policy. Worked ok, except some devs were lazy/sloppy/didn't care and would just escalate any issues.

New place doesn't even have pager duty from what I can tell, which is weird. I think there's something to alert ops. I think things are just kept simple enough that they don't spontaneously do weird random things.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    You keep knowing weird people. I've never known anyone who was proud to be paged. What the hell world are these guys in that having their work regularly break is something to be proud of?
    The same kind of people who think working eighty hour weeks every week is more hardcore than doing a steady 9-5 ~enterprise~ job.

The "Look how important I am, my boss needs to talk to me to get things fixed even after hours ..." kinda weirdos.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    The "Look how important I am, my boss needs to talk to me to get things fixed even after hours ..." kinda weirdos.
    That is indeed a very strange mindset. I'd much rather have my minion dudes and dudettes done for the week by lunchtime Friday, so we can play smash brothers or something till 3pm when I tell them to bugger off to the beach (weather dependent). Longer term, we are able to keep a fast cadence of smaller items and we've gotten rid of the whole concept of dates as being something the team in general has to care about, because we just deliver little things all the time with blistering pace, its really easy to decompose a big feature into little things that fit this cadence well.
    meh

Just for a change of pace.. Rearranging my study. Unplugged computer, moved desks, moved other shit, setup computer again, plugged it back in. Got everything plugged in the right way even the monitors are the right way around.. Sound doesnt work.. Spent 2 hours of fucking about only to unplug it for about the 10th time and then suddenly windows goes "oh you have a sound card! wow!.. here, i make ding noise now"..

Fuck Windows..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Just for a change of pace.. Rearranging my study. Unplugged computer, moved desks, moved other shit, setup computer again, plugged it back in. Got everything plugged in the right way even the monitors are the right way around.. Sound doesnt work.. Spent 2 hours of fucking about only to unplug it for about the 10th time and then suddenly windows goes "oh you have a sound card! wow!.. here, i make ding noise now"..

Fuck Windows..
    lul git gud

Spoiler:
    Windows forgets I have a fucking DAC every four hours or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post

also, thanks for all the reps and stuff, i kinda wished i knew IT was going to pan out the way it has for me ahead of time the passion for it has been gone for years now and it's basically the last-call for changing my mind.
    cheers mate, its never too late..

Im 41 now, last year i said fuck you all (my semi-legal second jobs and legal but incredibly shit insurance job) , and i enrolled to private college here in Croatia, 3 year software developer program (bacc. degree). Finished first year with 4/5 mark, cleared everything before second year started.

It was incredibly hard for me because of mathematics I and math II - last time i did math was 23 years ago, and i hated it than as well. Literally hundreds of hours of repeating highschool math, and than implementing it into this one - i pissed blood. I got so drunk when i cleared those 2, fuck, me and jagermeister celebrated that one.

On the other hand Programming i found easy and Data structures and Algorithms was hard as bitch, but doable (unlike math).

I did the right thing, because as far as i can see, i like programming a lot, and its gona get easier as i clear these non-programing stuff ( goodbye Math - welcome Probabilities and Statistics )

Quote Originally Posted by dominus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post

also, thanks for all the reps and stuff, i kinda wished i knew IT was going to pan out the way it has for me ahead of time the passion for it has been gone for years now and it's basically the last-call for changing my mind.
    cheers mate, its never too late..

Im 41 now, last year i said fuck you all (my semi-legal second jobs and legal but incredibly shit insurance job) , and i enrolled to private college here in Croatia, 3 year software developer program (bacc. degree). Finished first year with 4/5 mark, cleared everything before second year started.

It was incredibly hard for me because of mathematics I and math II - last time i did math was 23 years ago, and i hated it than as well. Literally hundreds of hours of repeating highschool math, and than implementing it into this one - i pissed blood. I got so drunk when i cleared those 2, fuck, me and jagermeister celebrated that one.

On the other hand Programming i found easy and Data structures and Algorithms was hard as bitch, but doable (unlike math).

I did the right thing, because as far as i can see, i like programming a lot, and its gona get easier as i clear these non-programing stuff ( goodbye Math - welcome Probabilities and Statistics )
    Good luck man, it takes an especially large size of steel balls to do this when you are 41 and have a well paying (assumption) job. If the program is nice you will learn many little things and nuances that will help you later on immensely. Good luck and fuck jägermeister, I still remember the consequences when I downed a bottle after taking my last exam in my exchange year.
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

Got to play with 2016 yesterday.. It's windows 10.. It really is just Windows 10.. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

wp

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

http://www.osnews.com/story/29525/Or...is_development

Wat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?©Doomchinchilla 2015

Why use Solaris when there's Oracle(tm) Unbreakable(tm) linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    http://www.osnews.com/story/29525/Or...is_development

Wat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm still not sure if this is true or not. Oracle have denied it, but honestly the numbers of people who moved to Linux after oracle bought sun it's inevitable that it will be shut down one day.

Wanted a job with more responsibility and more pay yet I find myself grumpy now that I was connected to a clients server from home from 9-10pm continuing to unfuck them after a cryptolocker. Can't have it all I guess

EDIT:

Oh and on my second week they said I could look through the recycling pile for anything I liked the look of. Managed to get my hands on a HP 6300 desktop with an i5 3470 and 12 gigs of ram. Gonna slap a 1050ti in it and save around 800 bucks on the new PC I was planning on building in the new year
    Last edited by 56k Lagman; December 7 2016 at 05:31:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    Wanted a job with more responsibility and more pay yet I find myself grumpy now that I was connected to a clients server from home from 9-10pm continuing to unfuck them after a cryptolocker. Can't have it all I guess

EDIT:

Oh and on my second week they said I could look through the recycling pile for anything I liked the look of. Managed to get my hands on a HP 6300 desktop with an i5 3470 and 12 gigs of ram. Gonna slap a 1050ti in it and save around 800 bucks on the new PC I was planning on building in the new year
    So it's not all that bad after all.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

no you know what no it's not it's good it's just I'd rather not have to if I didn't but I do it's like do I want to be bored and the answer is no