hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 368 of 408 FirstFirst ... 268318358365366367368369370371378 ... LastLast
Results 7,341 to 7,360 of 8146

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

  1. #7341
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,083
    so, i have a AD intigrated DNS zone on a domain controller, where i can make a change on one DNS server, wait 48 hours and watch said change not actually replicate anywhere, or get changed back by a replication going the other way.

    and repadmin thinks everything is peachy.


    fuck.my.life.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  2. #7342
    King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Navi Mumbai
    Posts
    5,326
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    I've noticed the dudes are the worst. On top of being socially awkward (its definitely not an ESL thing), they just seem kinda aimless and blase about shit that needs fixing. From personal experience the women seem a lot more driven, so maybe they take less stuff for granted when raised in that culture
    There's a still significant amount of gender bias in India, with infanticide still being practiced (albeit illegal). There's a lot of "male children are to be treated as gods" and "female children are drains on resources" mentality. There's still problems with dowry and yaddi yadda.

    I'm mentioning it because I think it plays heavily into the attitude you're talking about. There is also a very big dollop of "we'll get to it........at some point" mentality. Women have to fight a lot more for their opportunities so they tend to be driven more. I've also been seeing that for a large number of my co-workers, they treat their office as also their recreation center as they (quite literally) have nothing to do at home. Housework is firmly "women's job" and many will not lift a finger for that. More than half my co-workers have no computer or no internet or both at home. Sometimes, no TV either. So when they're at the office, a good chunk of their time is gone gossiping or generally loafing around.

    None of it excuses their general cavalier attitude but........bleh. I barely tolerate most of them and only come in cos I need the green.

  3. #7343

    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    5,541
    My least favourite thing is the unbreakable hierarchy in indian organisations. Here in the UK my (very large outsourcing/consulting) employer has 10 main staff grades. At last count, our Indian wing had closer to 60, because if you're not getting regularly promoted or if you don't have underlings you are a failure. Here, I report to our UK head, who reports to our global head, who reports to the group executive. Nice and flat. It's not unusual to find someone doing the same job as I do under ten or twelve layers of management.

    The first thing you learn is that You Shall Not Bypass India's Management. Even if you know exactly who's going to do the work and that they're perfectly capable of doing it, any and all communications have to be routed through their manager's manager's manager's senior manager to be appropriately handed down from on high. Otherwise you get drama.

    I honestly think we'll see a shift away from Indian outsourcing in the next few years. It's actually getting pretty expensive.

  4. #7344

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    3,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    so, i have a AD intigrated DNS zone on a domain controller, where i can make a change on one DNS server, wait 48 hours and watch said change not actually replicate anywhere, or get changed back by a replication going the other way.

    and repadmin thinks everything is peachy.
    Are your domains involved in a tree? If so, try the LOL tool (I kid you not -that's its name): https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...6-and-friends/

  5. #7345
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    so, i have a AD intigrated DNS zone on a domain controller, where i can make a change on one DNS server, wait 48 hours and watch said change not actually replicate anywhere, or get changed back by a replication going the other way.

    and repadmin thinks everything is peachy.
    Are your domains involved in a tree? If so, try the LOL tool (I kid you not -that's its name): https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...6-and-friends/
    no tree, there is some domain trust, but the problem is within the domain itself.

    i can force replicate shit around fine, but it's not actually doing anything on it's own. :wat:
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  6. #7346

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    3,287
    Might be worth to give it a try anyhow. It can't get worse than your current "not working" state ...

  7. #7347
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,083
    i managed to solve it actually by force replicating.

    apparently repadmin /showrepl can and do lie occationally.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  8. #7348
    Donor halbarad's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,807
    Powershell is now open source. What's the next sign of the apocalypse?

  9. #7349
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,083
    Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    Powershell is now open source. What's the next sign of the apocalypse?
    making it open source doesn't change the fact it's shit.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  10. #7350
    Donor halbarad's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    Powershell is now open source. What's the next sign of the apocalypse?
    making it open source doesn't change the fact it's shit.
    It has its flaws but given the alternative of writing batch scripts or clicking in GUIs then I'll take PS every time.

  11. #7351

    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    5,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    Powershell is now open source. What's the next sign of the apocalypse?
    making it open source doesn't change the fact it's shit.
    Hardly. It's a really nice shell. Once you get your head around it being the polar opposite of bash's "everything is just text" attitude it's pretty straightforward, and the ISE makes it trivial to find the cmdlets you need.

    The fact it rejected everything as just text is actually growing on me. I can count the number of systems we've got left that are driven by "just" text on one hand.

  12. #7352
    Donor Aea's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    13,913
    The annoying: Rackspace deprecated our version of the Cloud Backup Agent.
    The bad: Rackspace did not notify us ahead of time.
    The worse: Rackspace did not notify us (despite backup being configured to "Inform a... when a backup fails to complete.") that our backups were failing and instead spat out a beautiful IIS 403 HTML page.
    The worst: We didn't discover this the day it happened.

    Not like I've been wanting to implement an exception reporting system for literally years now. This client has already been fired, I'm on my last couple of weeks to help transition.

  13. #7353
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,083
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    Powershell is now open source. What's the next sign of the apocalypse?
    making it open source doesn't change the fact it's shit.
    Hardly. It's a really nice shell. Once you get your head around it being the polar opposite of bash's "everything is just text" attitude it's pretty straightforward, and the ISE makes it trivial to find the cmdlets you need.

    The fact it rejected everything as just text is actually growing on me. I can count the number of systems we've got left that are driven by "just" text on one hand.
    nice shell, cmd.exe

    this does not compute.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  14. #7354

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    3,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    Powershell is now open source. What's the next sign of the apocalypse?
    making it open source doesn't change the fact it's shit.
    Hardly. It's a really nice shell. Once you get your head around it being the polar opposite of bash's "everything is just text" attitude it's pretty straightforward, and the ISE makes it trivial to find the cmdlets you need.

    The fact it rejected everything as just text is actually growing on me. I can count the number of systems we've got left that are driven by "just" text on one hand.
    nice shell, cmd.exe

    this does not compute.
    Powershell != cmd.exe

  15. #7355
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    Powershell is now open source. What's the next sign of the apocalypse?
    making it open source doesn't change the fact it's shit.
    Hardly. It's a really nice shell. Once you get your head around it being the polar opposite of bash's "everything is just text" attitude it's pretty straightforward, and the ISE makes it trivial to find the cmdlets you need.

    The fact it rejected everything as just text is actually growing on me. I can count the number of systems we've got left that are driven by "just" text on one hand.
    nice shell, cmd.exe

    this does not compute.
    Powershell != cmd.exe
    this is how wrong you are.

    Powershell runs inside the cmd CLI, cmd redefines fucking terrible. Powershell is terrible for other reasons on top of that, notably it's not actually anywhere near WYSIWYG when it comes to moving stuff around and the modules range from ok to fucking terrible, with 3rd party shit redefining terrible from the already horrifying redefinition provided by cmd.exe. (HI VMWARE!)

    also, fuck WSUS.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  16. #7356

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    3,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    Powershell is now open source. What's the next sign of the apocalypse?
    making it open source doesn't change the fact it's shit.
    Hardly. It's a really nice shell. Once you get your head around it being the polar opposite of bash's "everything is just text" attitude it's pretty straightforward, and the ISE makes it trivial to find the cmdlets you need.

    The fact it rejected everything as just text is actually growing on me. I can count the number of systems we've got left that are driven by "just" text on one hand.
    nice shell, cmd.exe

    this does not compute.
    Powershell != cmd.exe
    this is how wrong you are.

    Powershell runs inside the cmd CLI, cmd redefines fucking terrible.

  17. #7357
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    Powershell is now open source. What's the next sign of the apocalypse?
    making it open source doesn't change the fact it's shit.
    Hardly. It's a really nice shell. Once you get your head around it being the polar opposite of bash's "everything is just text" attitude it's pretty straightforward, and the ISE makes it trivial to find the cmdlets you need.

    The fact it rejected everything as just text is actually growing on me. I can count the number of systems we've got left that are driven by "just" text on one hand.
    nice shell, cmd.exe

    this does not compute.
    Powershell != cmd.exe
    this is how wrong you are.

    Powershell runs inside the cmd CLI, cmd redefines fucking terrible.
    so perl is a shell as well then ?
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  18. #7358
    Donor halbarad's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    Powershell is now open source. What's the next sign of the apocalypse?
    making it open source doesn't change the fact it's shit.
    Hardly. It's a really nice shell. Once you get your head around it being the polar opposite of bash's "everything is just text" attitude it's pretty straightforward, and the ISE makes it trivial to find the cmdlets you need.

    The fact it rejected everything as just text is actually growing on me. I can count the number of systems we've got left that are driven by "just" text on one hand.
    nice shell, cmd.exe

    this does not compute.
    Powershell != cmd.exe
    this is how wrong you are.

    Powershell runs inside the cmd CLI, cmd redefines fucking terrible.
    so perl is a shell as well then ?
    Using Powershell.exe is a bit nicer than cmd.exe for it, or ISE with its integrated console. I've also heard good things about conemu but haven't looked at that.

  19. #7359

    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    5,541
    Conemu is the danglies if you're stuck in windows land. Really nice bit of kit for making your cobbled-together git bash-based shell feel almost like home.

  20. #7360
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,083
    Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    Powershell is now open source. What's the next sign of the apocalypse?
    making it open source doesn't change the fact it's shit.
    Hardly. It's a really nice shell. Once you get your head around it being the polar opposite of bash's "everything is just text" attitude it's pretty straightforward, and the ISE makes it trivial to find the cmdlets you need.

    The fact it rejected everything as just text is actually growing on me. I can count the number of systems we've got left that are driven by "just" text on one hand.
    nice shell, cmd.exe

    this does not compute.
    Powershell != cmd.exe
    this is how wrong you are.

    Powershell runs inside the cmd CLI, cmd redefines fucking terrible.
    so perl is a shell as well then ?
    Using Powershell.exe is a bit nicer than cmd.exe for it, or ISE with its integrated console. I've also heard good things about conemu but haven't looked at that.
    the difference between powershell.exe and cmd.exe are fucking marginal, try something trivial like say resizing the window, the only advantage the former has is that it has the "mark" functionality implemented slightly differently so copy-pasta is slightly less terrible, but not to worry because it will still garble uncommon unicode characters with frighting regularity, ISE is marginally useful but really should come with intellisense support from the get-go, you know, instead of making it a feature in 2012-and-later or require you to install it separately, and not even bother pushing the fucking thing from Windows update because why on earth would you want a updated scripting tool ?

    and if you want to have a real laugh try looking into comparability, something written on Windows 7 will work on 2008r2, but you can run into missing modules problems on 2008 servers (yes, you literately dont get identical modules in 2008 that you do in 2008r2, regardless of version), move up to Windows 8 or 10 and it becomes even worse and the ISE wont tell you what you just wrote on your Windows 10 workstation wont run on your 2008r2 server, nor if it will run in PS 2.0, why would you want to know something like that ?

    conemu is nice btw, use it at home.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •