hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 368 of 385 FirstFirst ... 268318358365366367368369370371378 ... LastLast
Results 7,341 to 7,360 of 7691

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post

Been there. Not someplace I want to go to again.
    Oh they can have a go, but it's just been a long time to come up with some blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    fuck outsourcing though, fuck it, it's a significant part of why i am leaving the IT business behind come January.
    What is it you want to do?
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    fuck outsourcing though, fuck it, it's a significant part of why i am leaving the IT business behind come January.
    What is it you want to do?
    taking a intro-course to do either Diplomingeniør or Civilingeniør, i haven't decided on the branch at this point, though being a bit old i am leaning towards the former since it's only 3.5 years rather than the 5 years of the latter.

as for the branch, Chemistry and Nanotech looks kinda cool, robotics is interesting as well but i am a bit worried it's going to end up being over-saturated by the time i would be done. but that decision is a fair bit off still, i picked the 1.5 year intro-course mostly because i literately haven't done anything remotely like school for 15 years at this point.

IT can just fuck off at this point, sysadmin work is either going to morph into devops (yuck) pure data-center work (yuck yuck) or some "business process consultant" (yuck yuck yuck yuck!) and on top of that you constantly have to consider the danger of being flat-out outsourced.

i could opt to become a consultant, i certainly have the skills for it on the technical side, but i really dislike that employment model even if the money is excellent.
    Last edited by Liare; August 17 2016 at 08:21:13 AM.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Story of my week:

Quote Originally Posted by Support Office, Monday
    Here are your priorities for the week, don't let anything get in the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Support Office, Tuesday
    OMG DROP WHATEVER YOU'RE DOING AND FIX THIS RANDOM THING RIGHT NOW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Support Office, Wednesday
    OMG DROP WHATEVER YOU'RE DOING AND FIX THIS RANDOM THING RIGHT NOW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Support Office, today
    OMG DROP WHATEVER YOU'RE DOING AND FIX ALL THESE RANDOM THINGS RIGHT NOW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Support Office, predicted for tomorrow
    WTF, why haven't you finished anything we asked you to do on Monday? What are we even paying you for?

so, i have a AD intigrated DNS zone on a domain controller, where i can make a change on one DNS server, wait 48 hours and watch said change not actually replicate anywhere, or get changed back by a replication going the other way.

and repadmin thinks everything is peachy.

fuck.my.life.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

King of the Babe Thread Donor Jolin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    I've noticed the dudes are the worst. On top of being socially awkward (its definitely not an ESL thing), they just seem kinda aimless and blase about shit that needs fixing. From personal experience the women seem a lot more driven, so maybe they take less stuff for granted when raised in that culture
    There's a still significant amount of gender bias in India, with infanticide still being practiced (albeit illegal). There's a lot of "male children are to be treated as gods" and "female children are drains on resources" mentality. There's still problems with dowry and yaddi yadda.

I'm mentioning it because I think it plays heavily into the attitude you're talking about. There is also a very big dollop of "we'll get to it........at some point" mentality. Women have to fight a lot more for their opportunities so they tend to be driven more. I've also been seeing that for a large number of my co-workers, they treat their office as also their recreation center as they (quite literally) have nothing to do at home. Housework is firmly "women's job" and many will not lift a finger for that. More than half my co-workers have no computer or no internet or both at home. Sometimes, no TV either. So when they're at the office, a good chunk of their time is gone gossiping or generally loafing around.

None of it excuses their general cavalier attitude but........bleh. I barely tolerate most of them and only come in cos I need the green.

My least favourite thing is the unbreakable hierarchy in indian organisations. Here in the UK my (very large outsourcing/consulting) employer has 10 main staff grades. At last count, our Indian wing had closer to 60, because if you're not getting regularly promoted or if you don't have underlings you are a failure. Here, I report to our UK head, who reports to our global head, who reports to the group executive. Nice and flat. It's not unusual to find someone doing the same job as I do under ten or twelve layers of management.

The first thing you learn is that You Shall Not Bypass India's Management. Even if you know exactly who's going to do the work and that they're perfectly capable of doing it, any and all communications have to be routed through their manager's manager's manager's senior manager to be appropriately handed down from on high. Otherwise you get drama.

I honestly think we'll see a shift away from Indian outsourcing in the next few years. It's actually getting pretty expensive.

so, i have a AD intigrated DNS zone on a domain controller, where i can make a change on one DNS server, wait 48 hours and watch said change not actually replicate anywhere, or get changed back by a replication going the other way.

Are your domains involved in a tree? If so, try the LOL tool (I kid you not -that's its name): https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...6-and-friends/

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

Are your domains involved in a tree? If so, try the LOL tool (I kid you not -that's its name): https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...6-and-friends/
    no tree, there is some domain trust, but the problem is within the domain itself.

i can force replicate shit around fine, but it's not actually doing anything on it's own. :wat:
    Viking, n.:

Might be worth to give it a try anyhow. It can't get worse than your current "not working" state ...

i managed to solve it actually by force replicating.

apparently repadmin /showrepl can and do lie occationally.
    Viking, n.:

Powershell is now open source. What's the next sign of the apocalypse?

Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    making it open source doesn't change the fact it's shit.
    Viking, n.:

It has its flaws but given the alternative of writing batch scripts or clicking in GUIs then I'll take PS every time.

Hardly. It's a really nice shell. Once you get your head around it being the polar opposite of bash's "everything is just text" attitude it's pretty straightforward, and the ISE makes it trivial to find the cmdlets you need.

The fact it rejected everything as just text is actually growing on me. I can count the number of systems we've got left that are driven by "just" text on one hand.

The annoying: Rackspace deprecated our version of the Cloud Backup Agent.
    The bad: Rackspace did not notify us ahead of time.
    The worse: Rackspace did not notify us (despite backup being configured to "Inform a... when a backup fails to complete.") that our backups were failing and instead spat out a beautiful IIS 403 HTML page.
    The worst: We didn't discover this the day it happened.

Not like I've been wanting to implement an exception reporting system for literally years now. This client has already been fired, I'm on my last couple of weeks to help transition.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Hardly. It's a really nice shell. Once you get your head around it being the polar opposite of bash's "everything is just text" attitude it's pretty straightforward, and the ISE makes it trivial to find the cmdlets you need.

The fact it rejected everything as just text is actually growing on me. I can count the number of systems we've got left that are driven by "just" text on one hand.
    nice shell, cmd.exe

this does not compute.
    Viking, n.:

nice shell, cmd.exe

this does not compute.
    Powershell != cmd.exe

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

nice shell, cmd.exe

this does not compute.
    Powershell != cmd.exe
    this is how wrong you are.

Powershell runs inside the cmd CLI, cmd redefines fucking terrible. Powershell is terrible for other reasons on top of that, notably it's not actually anywhere near WYSIWYG when it comes to moving stuff around and the modules range from ok to fucking terrible, with 3rd party shit redefining terrible from the already horrifying redefinition provided by cmd.exe. (HI VMWARE!)

also, fuck WSUS.
    Viking, n.: