hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 408 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't need sanity, work in IT (thread) every day

Re: IT megathread (where are you ralara)

renaming folders on a san full of dpx's because of an 8 character limit on a field in EDL's

derp
    No longer Deleting all your posts erryday due to butthurt
    usually pink or pinkest flamingo in other games

FREE NYAN CAT
    JUSTICE FOR AMANTU
    http://eve.enviroweb.org/

Every week we run, review, and annotate network monitoring reports. The boilerplate language on the emails says "Of particular interest:" after which you're suppose to note things the person that gets the report might be interested in. There's never anything interesting, but we have to make up shit to write, anyway. This week is my week to do 3-4 hours of busy work that nobody cares about.

Seems that the linux installer I'll be inheriting can't be arsed to understand whitespaces in filenames.
    So we have a script that renames the files before packaging. A handwritten script where each file is listed.
    And one that renames them back after installation.
    Any files, checked in to the SVN by anyone. Including tutorial pdfs or other files maintained by support.

That's going to be fun.
    Tanks: theBlind[URBAD] (in my heart there will always be a place for [FAIL])
    Planetside2: [UBAD]theAngelic

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator

Someone is having a bad day.

Trying to get work done on a slow application using a super slow terminal server through a super slow citrix connection......aaarrrghhhhh!

It's taken me 10mins to log in, this does not bode well.

So I'll probably need to write code that interfaces with Siemens' TeamCenter. Quick look at API "documentation"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Siemens
    This inheritance list is sorted roughly, but not completely, alphabetically:
    Code:
    Constructor & Destructor Documentation
    IFail::IFail 	(		 ) 	

IFail::IFail 	(	int 	ifail, 
    		const char * 	s1 = 0, 
    		const char * 	s2 = 0, 
    		const char * 	s3 = 0, 
    		const char * 	s4 = 0, 
    		const char * 	s5 = 0, 
    		const char * 	s6 = 0, 
    		const char * 	s7 = 0	 
    	)			

IFail::~IFail 	(		 ) 	[inline]
    This will be "fun"...
    Vulnerant omnes, ultima necat.

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Hast
    ahah, good luck!

network issues? Or did that many servers really just "die"?

Quote Originally Posted by Waagaa
    Quote Originally Posted by Hast
    ahah, good luck!

network issues? Or did that many servers really just "die"?
    10$ on someone having plugged a switch into itself (its scary how fast a network dies when you do that)

FREE NYAN CAT
    JUSTICE FOR AMANTU

Super Moderator DonorGlobal Moderator

It was a cluster of firewalls apparently, and they managed to sort it. Did lose half a days work on it though.

We are just surprised that none of the newspapers picked up on it though :3

the war on spelling continues!
    Hi Guys does anyone know where the bolt croppers are?

Mine have Brocken ;(

FREE NYAN CAT
    JUSTICE FOR AMANTU

THE PUNISHED

Never thought I'd actually see one of these.

Error message from one of our pieces of software:

Error message - xxxxxxxxxxxx! Create address data file error division by zero. Mailing has not been sent to xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Ralara

Error message - xxxxxxxxxxxx! Create address data file error division by zero. Mailing has not been sent to xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    DOES NOT COMPUTE
    Vulnerant omnes, ultima necat.

Quote Originally Posted by omeg
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralara

DOES NOT COMPUTE
    its brocken

FREE NYAN CAT
    JUSTICE FOR AMANTU

:RAGE: Fucking Assembly....
    I'm studying Computer Sciences and we have to program an STK500 board with an ATmega32 and an LCD-display. We have to make it display a running clock, being able to set an alarm time and go off at that time. It has a snooze-button which makes the alarm go off again after 30 secs and it has to show the time and a message on a pc when the alarm goes of. That goes through an RS232 connection.

Usually, with a decent teacher and a book to help you, this wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, we don't have a book and our teacher is an ignorant cunt who can't explain shit. This means we have to work everything out on our own, which is p. hard if you've never worked with it before and when this is your first project with it...
    Our project has to be finished the day after tomorrow, even thinking about it makes me want to

[/rage]

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by DAN13L
    :RAGE: Fucking Assembly....
    I'm studying Computer Sciences and we have to program an STK500 board with an ATmega32 and an LCD-display. We have to make it display a running clock, being able to set an alarm time and go off at that time. It has a snooze-button which makes the alarm go off again after 30 secs and it has to show the time and a message on a pc when the alarm goes of. That goes through an RS232 connection.

Usually, with a decent teacher and a book to help you, this wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, we don't have a book and our teacher is an ignorant cunt who can't explain shit. This means we have to work everything out on our own, which is p. hard if you've never worked with it before and when this is your first project with it...
    Our project has to be finished the day after tomorrow, even thinking about it makes me want to

[/rage]
    On the upside: you're going to learn a shitload by doing this..

I work at one of those terribly overpriced PC repair desk in a hueg electronics store. Interesting anecdotes so far-

I plugged in a checked-in PC just before going on break, hoping it would be ready to work on once I got back. As I'm approaching the desk having recently consumed a delicious hot pocket, I notice everyone is crowded around my computer with expressions varying between laughing hysterically and frantically trying to shut it down - guess which one was the manager? Someone had put tiled goatse as their wallpaper before checking it in. The screen was facing the customers and there were about 8 people in line. I've never tried so hard to keep a straight face in my life. Thankfully the manager is a pretty cool guy and he laughed with me about it later.

also, on the retard user front, a guy who made it very clear he was a bigshot at some financial consulting firm or something, mentioning all his secretaries and the like, claimed his spacebar was broken and he wanted a new laptop (it was a giant ~$2500 gaming laptop, lol.) We have to turn on PC's in front of the customer, so I did so and tried some typing. The spacebar was fine. He tried it as well, and showed me how tiny the spaces were in word. He was adamant that because the spaces weren't as big as he liked, that the spacebar was broken. At this point I got the manager, since I figured that arguing with the guy and calling him a person of substandard intellect wasn't part of company policy. Manager ended up just putting the laptop through returns with the reason being it was unwanted.

Making golden statues and raising your insurance premiums

Quote Originally Posted by Raine Woot
    He was adamant that because the spaces weren't as big as he liked, that the spacebar as broken.
    I can think of at least 3 different ways of 'fixing' this:
    • Find " " and replace with " ".[/*:m:2x3ktn9l]
    • Switch to a lower screen resolution[/*:m:2x3ktn9l]
    • Assign a macro to <SPACEBAR> in Word that prints an extra space[/*:m:2x3ktn9l]

On an unrelated note, my (commercial) job now includes writing up research in LaTeX. :ugeek:

[youtube:1wyqwae3]2Cptn2f7iE8[/youtube:1wyqwae3]

Our STK500 with ATmega32 alarm clock is finished \o/
    The RS232 connection wouldn't work... it turned out we had set the baudrate the other way around, we had mixed up the low and the high-byte.
    But now it works Unfortunately... we have to return the board tomorrow to our school I've grown fond of it over time...

Was about to point out that for those kinds of things you don't need a book, but rather Internet access.
    People that go to google just to click the first link make me :RAGE:. Good thing that most people I deal with are somewhat computer literate.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby
    Was about to point out that for those kinds of things you don't need a book, but rather Internet access.
    People that go to google just to click the first link make me :RAGE:. Good thing that most people I deal with are somewhat computer literate.
    We did use Google, and we've searched further then just the first link (or the first page, for that matter). And we're not computer illiterates, we've just been dumped in this new language without any help at all. They expect us to build something while they don't even provide the means to teach us the basic principles of it.
    On top of that, assembly works different per controller, so a script that works on one specific processor might not work on ours. This makes it a bit more complicated to search for good answers to our questions.

Besides, I'm just a first-year student, not a professional (for now), so don't treat me too harsh Just wanted to share my personal IT experiences with the world.